Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What changes did you make to your diet before surgery?

My surgery isn't until June or July, but I'm thinking of making some small changes NOW to get used to the drastic change ill have to make post op. one thing is im a serious coffee/caffeine addict, and a diet coke addict. I don't ever drink Water. There are days I have absolutely none. I was thinking of cutting all beverages and replacing them with crystal light or that sugar free Mio stuff. Maybe it will help me lose some weight? Will it be too shocking to my system cutting all of that out at once? What about those 30day body cleanses?

Sorry for all the questions, but what have you all done pre op to make the transition easier?

My surgery is scheduled for this Monday. I was addicted to diet pepsi, but managed to give them up completely. I only drink Water now. I also stopped smoking. Good luck! You can do it!

Jessica, you should have been given a list of goals to work on before your surgery. You should be working on not drinking fluids while eating, not drinking fluids until 30 minutes after you eat, giving up carbonated beverages and sugary drinks, drinking 64oz of Water every day, and a whole list of things.

Jessica' date=' you should have been given a list of goals to work on before your surgery. You should be working on not drinking fluids while eating, not drinking fluids until 30 minutes after you eat, giving up carbonated beverages and sugary drinks, drinking 64oz of Water every day, and a whole list of things.[/quote']

I was never given anything! My insurance mandates 6 months of weigh ins but my surgeon told me it isn't a diet. My nutritionist just gave me all post op diet info. My surgeon told me up until the 3 week pre op diet, there aren't any changes that I HAVE to make. If anything, he gave me a calorie max to hit each day and that's it.

And he didn't suggest any kind of changes I could make

My surgery is next week and I didn't receive any list of changes to make either other then i had to quit smoking..

My surgery is next week and I didn't receive any list of changes to make either other then i had to quit smoking..

Yes, mine said you had to be 2 months tobacco free, but I don't smoke.

And he didn't suggest any kind of changes I could make

That's scary - I got lists from my nutritionist and my doctor. In addition to everything else I've mentioned, I was told to start walking 10 minutes a day 3 to 5 times per week. I've been working on that and am amazed at the energy I have now.

I started researching surgical options last January, when I committed to the idea of surgery in June, I joined weight watchers to start me off, at that time I was at my highest weight of 355. I felt starting in a good place was going to benefit me overall. Not only to make me as healthy as possible for surgery, but to get into good habits before the restriction set in. I cut out carbonated beverages overall and began walking more. I was 317 when I submitted my paperwork in September and 296 when I went for surgery in December. I'm now happily down to 245 and am very happy I took the steps I did prior to surgery. I didn't have the added stress of entirely new eating habits after surgery, and felt my head hunger was very much under control. Granted I didn't lose huge numbers as some do after surgery, but I'm slower and steady and I'm ok with that. My doctor said losing a chuck before surgery might make the numbers go down a little slower, but again, I'm ok with that. I'm focusing on the big picture.

Good luck!

Here's my timeline... May 2012: already eating lots of healthy food but ALSO eating plenty of "naughty foods" as well and craving refined flours and sugar like crazy. Started incorporating vegetable juicing into my life. Added more and more juice daily. August 2012: 30 day juice fast. CHANGED MY LIFE! seriously, I felt better and wanted to feel this way all the time. I discovered that there was something in my diet that was definitely causing inflammation in my body because my joint pains went way while on the juice fast. September 2012: went off the juice fast but continued juicing daily and tried to be careful about adding junk into my diet. October 2012 Joint pain was back in full swing.. gained what little weight I lost on the juice fast and was back up to 335. Still ate primarily home cooked healthy meals heavy on the vegetables and included juicing in my diet, but also gave into my cravings for junk too. November 2012 Joined VST, decided on the sleeve, picked my doctor. December 2012 Began 800 calorie VLCD Had two or three Protein drinks or servings of cottage cheese and a lean and green meal, plus optional snacks: 1 egg, 1/2 piece of fruit, 1 ounce of nuts... as long as I kept my calories around 800. January.. continued VLCD..Took two days off February.. continued the VLCD, took two days off. During theVLCD I didn't consume any Cereal grains, starchy vegetables or legumes. My joint pain again went away completely. I now know that my issues are likely tied to wheat. so Wheat may not be making a reappearance in my post VSG diet! February 27: Started my two week preop, which was almost identical to my VLCD except it did not include the optional Snacks.. which by this point I didn't care about anyway. March10: Start three days of clears, March 13th Surgery day.

I definitely think that doing this lengthy preop preparation helped me soooo much mentally prepare for the sleeve. I'm not suggesting that you should do something as drastic as I did... 800 calories on a full size stomach is pretty extreme, but definitely starting some sort of program preop would be helpful.. also getting used to the Protein Drinks takes some time, so it's nice if you can even replace one meal a day with a Protein Drink while your palate gets used to them.

Also, I didn't give up soda pre-surgery, but I rarely drink them anyway because they're not good for you. I had maybe 4 sodas during my 3.5 months leading up to surgery.. I also practiced sipping Water and not eating and drinking at the same time.

Best of luck!

That's scary - I got lists from my nutritionist and my doctor. In addition to everything else I've mentioned' date=' I was told to start walking 10 minutes a day 3 to 5 times per week. I've been working on that and am amazed at the energy I have now.[/quote']

Hmm. Well I have a weigh in this coming Monday at my surgeons office. I'll have to ask then!

I also eliminated soda from my diet, as we'll as most Pasta and breads. I eat those so rarely now that I can't tell you the last time I had some was. I try to exercise three times a week and I am very alert about what I'm eating. My calorie goal was set between 1300-1400cal/day, with at least 65grams if Protein a day. Some days I'm a little under the calorie goal. Some days I'm over. I started the week after thanksgiving and in 4 months I've lost 34 pounds (and in still pre-op!)

I say the more you can do now the easier it'll be in the long run. I could have chosen to do nothing and riskes gaining weight, but when I decided wls was where I was headed I chose to jump in and start while I jumped through insurance hoops.

Caffeine withdrawal can be really bad if you drink it all the time. I personally am not willing to completely give up coffee. I have cut soda almost completely out (I now have 1 maybe every 2wks or so) and I only drink 1-2 cups of coffee in the morning with 1tbsp of FF cream and a little sugar. I try to stick to just meats and veggies when I eat meals. I barely have bread and Pasta anymore.

But like PP said my dr also gave me a list of things to try and adjust to over the next 3mths. They gave me a book to go through that I have to bring to each group appointment that I have.

Caffeine withdrawal can be really bad if you drink it all the time. I personally am not willing to completely give up coffee. I have cut soda almost completely out (I now have 1 maybe every 2wks or so) and I only drink 1-2 cups of coffee in the morning with 1tbsp of FF cream and a little sugar. I try to stick to just meats and veggies when I eat meals. I barely have bread and Pasta anymore.

But like PP said my dr also gave me a list of things to try and adjust to over the next 3mths. They gave me a book to go through that I have to bring to each group appointment that I have.

The food I eat is pretty healthy. My issue is Portion Control. But I have maybe 4-6 cans of diet soda a day and maybe 2-4 cups of coffee light/sweet. I know the diet soda has no calories, but I'm sure the sodium is retaining Water and since I don't drink Water I'm probably holding onto a lot of weight :(.

My surgery isn't until June or July

Jessica

i see you've been "here" a couple of months, not sure if you've posted before

if this is your first post - let me be the 1rst to give you a big official "Welcome Aboard".

you sound very stressed, scared that you weren't given any "pre-instructions, advise"

don't worry, you have plenty of times for small changes getting ready for WLS :)

first off, all dr./NUTs are different - some will give you a pre-diet of anywhere from 2 days, a week, or more

personally, i asked my dr about a pre-diet and he said no it wasn't necessary, didn't advise me to start more exercise or anything

in hindsight i wish i had done more to prepare

that being said

you MUST stop the soda - carbonation is no good for you- ever!!!!

coffee - slow down/stop drinking - at some point your dr will probably give you the go ahead to drink "alittle" coffee - but not for awhile PO

most dr also don't want you to use a straw

walking, exercise, WLS or not, is always beneficial - so go for it

as far as drinking......this is one of the most important things concerning WLS

you are NOT allowed to drink with your meals - stop drinking about 15-30 minutes before you eat :(

and after you eat DON'T drink for 45-60 minutes :(

these are very important rules that must be followed to the "T"

you can and should practice especially the no drinking while you eat

you don't drink much Water now??? :angry:

thats GOTTA change!!!!

you need to drink at least 64 oz daily- if you don't "people have been shot for less!!" :lol:

Try drinking chrystal light - many people like that!!!!

these are a few things you can work on gradually before WLS - this will help you alot once you have WLS

you need to eat very slowly, chew thorougly - put your utensil down before bites, and wait to eat for another hr between bites :angry:

gotcha :lol:

but you do have to wait a minute or two

you have a good 3 months to work on the above

try not and stress too much, you have time to "work into stuff"

BUT - once you have the WLS - you must do all these things

so having the time to slowly prepare is terrific

this is a lifetime change - you must always follow these rules

you will do great

I can see B) in your face you are a very determined young lady!!!!

you are 23 years young!!!

people "here" say something like "they wish they had done this earlier'!!!!

you couldn't really have done this much earlier - well, you could have a pacifer in your mouth :lol:

you will have a successful healthier, happier, longer life post WLS

good luck

best wishes