Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Psych Eval Blues... Failure with the Lapband, Failure with the Sleeve?

First, I'll start with a little background. Three years ago, I had the Lapband. My surgeon was very capable but did not have a very good bedside manner. During one of my follow up appointments, she made negative remarks. She told me that I was not losing weight as she expected. I had a fill that day and left determined that I was going to do better. I started losing weight but before I had my next appointment, I gained a couple of pounds. I was ashamed and cancelled my next appointment thinking that I would go back after I lost weight. I ended up not going back until a year and a half later. I had gained all of the weight back. I contacted the director of the program and requested a new doctor, she told me I needed to go back to my surgeon's office to continue the program. I nervously went back for a fill and after no success, stopped going all together. I was ashamed and embarrassed.

This past January, I scraped up what little courage I had and made an appointment to see a new bariatric surgeon at a different hospital. I was hoping for a fresh start. I had totally taken responsibility for my Lapband failure. My new doctor ordered tests to make sure the band was in place. Everything checked out fine. During my second appointment with this doctor, he suggested that I consider the Gastric Sleeve. He told me that he no longer did surgery for the Lapband band as there were too many complications and not enough long term success. He was not at all surprised that I had not lost weight. I knew nothing about the Sleeve and went home and decided to educate myself. I read three books, joined this support group and did a lot of research on the internet. I am convinced that the Sleeve will truly help me with my weight loss goals.

I am now enrolled in a new bariatric program. I need to follow several steps before I can have the Lapband revision to the Gastric Sleeve. I am now going through the Psych Eval. My therapist is concerned that because I did not follow through with the Lapband I may not have success with the Sleeve. She asked me to convince her that the Sleeve is right for me. I am nervous that her eval could make the difference between my insurance approving or denying my surgery.

I am discouraged now and need advice. I have wonderful insurance that is willing to cover my surgery. Yes, I could go to another therapist and have a second Psych Eval, I may have to! Of course this would push me further behind. I cannot progress until the eval is complete.

Hey there. Where abouts in NH are you starting this journey? I had my sleeve done in Portsmouth with Dr. Looser. He is amazing and the therapist who did my psych evaluation is amazing as well. He would never fail anyone. If it doesn't work out where you are I would switch to Portsmouth. There are so many support groups and wonderful people, the NUT is wonderful. I was sleeved 9/7/12 and I'm down 105 lbs!! I feel on top of the world and support anyone deciding to be sleeve. It won't solve all your weight problems, you need I eat right, but it does help restrict the over eating :) best wishes and don't beat yourself up. You're taking the right steps to a healthier and better you! If they deny you, you move on. Take care

Raa...most of us going out of country don't have a psych eval at all. I'm not sure why, but perhaps the surgeons believe we are grownups and can make up our minds about having drastic surgery without a cursory visit with a psych/therapist, whatever.

In my opinion, for what it's worth, come up with a reasonable diet/exercise plan that you can present....outlining where you "failed" with the lapband and what you will do differently.

You are okay! The lapband didn't work, not you. Keep in touch.

Deborah

Sent from my iPhone using VST

Okay, I think the phsyc eval is being mis used.

It is supposed to be to show that you are mentally capable of compliance, understand the surgery and risks and so forth. They are trying to avoid having people with serious mental problems from taking it on because it is very stressful etc. The very idea that your "evaluator" wants you to prove why this surgery is better infuriates me.

Are you able to get an evaluation from someone else?

I got my eval from someone who was anti weight loss surgery...lol. She was smart though, and knew her job. She may not have agreed with my choice, but clearly evaluated that I was capable of making that choice and was of "sound mind" to proceed. IT wasn't her job to judge or make me explain why I failed once but wont again. It upsets me that you are being put through this.

I will say however that you just described a set of behaviors that you do NOT want to repeat. I think one of the advantages that those of us that revised have is an experience of "how to fail at weight loss surgery without really trying" and can take those lessons to our benefit.

Speaking for myself, I will never let shame stop me from asking for, demanding HELP when I need it. That means support from fellow patients, nutritionalists, doctors - whatever I need. I somehow felt that way when I was banded and at times behaved as you did - never again!

My psych said the main reasons for failing someone for the psych evaluation are past drug addictions(like not enough clean and sober time...need 5 years), severe depression without support. You seem very in tune with yourself and past experience. I would def look into other programs near you if you are really having trouble with current psych.