Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

No Drinking with Meals!

My surgery is in a month (4/23) I am panicked though because I have always had a drink with me when I eat a meal. I have been trying so hard to quit drinking with my meals, but I get so thirsty!!! Any advice or words of encouragement on how to stop drinking with my meals would be appreciative. I have been caffeine free for the past 2 weeks and going strong. I have been staying under 1200 calories a day, and been hitting the gym hard! (Trying to shrink that liver..lol) I also started taking Biotin, vit e, c and b, also some milk thistle to help lower my liver enzymes. So I feel like Im doing good, but drinking with my meals has been SO HARD for me. The thought of having to wait 30 minutes to drink seems like mission impossible to me... lol

After you are sleeved, won't have as much room to drink with your meal. It takes a little getting used to, but it really isn't that hard. You aren't going to be chowing down on a big feast anyway so I don't think that you'll have a lot of problems there. Truth be told I do sip occasionally especially if I am eating something spicy, but otherwise not. I rarely wait 30 minutes, but probably should. I never felt uncomfortable if I get a sip or two down after eating though. It truly isn't nearly has hard as you have in your head.

I have been thinking about this, too, but it finally dawned on me that the post-surgery meals will be so much smaller it's not going to be nearly as much of a challenge as I thought. Plus, the first few weeks of meals after surgery will be very liquid-y anyway, so I think that will help me to adjust.

At first there won't be a choice for you. You will feel sick if you try to drink to soon after a meal. I would get the slimes. Now at more then a year and a half out I am able to drink a little with meals....but I'm so used to not doing it any more I could take it or leave it.

So true, I guess I did not think of it that way... we will be on a liquid diet.. duh! Makes total sense. Right now it is hard for me, but I guess I won't worry about not being able to do it.... Thanks for your kind words of wisdom!!! This site has been such a blessing, in calming my nerves and apprehensions!

I am the same way and have been cheating a bit. I keep a glass of Water on the table when I eat and drink just enough to literally wet my mouth. Maybe throughout the entire meal I swallow a couple of thimbles full, if that so I really don't think it's too big a deal.

It was interesting how I would automaticaly reach for the Water when it was near. I learned really quick to not have my glass sitting near me and it became much easier. Now, like others have said, I will drink a few sips before a meal and a few after with no problems.....It's a relearning thing. :P

Being newly sleeved I can speak to this experience, you probably won't be doing much drinking with meals. For me it's physically impossible and extremely painful. When you are hungry you can fill up on Water or food. For me getting Protein in is number one. Like another poster said, you won't be eating that much to get that thirsty. It's all just a learning curb, it won't take long for you to know your limitations.

It's true, you will get use to it. I'm nine months out, and if I forget and take a sip of Water, my tummy will quickly remind me to stop. You don't want to get the slimes!

Everything you just read is spot on, don't fret over all the stuff you can't do. Think positive about how great it will feel when all the pounds start melting away:)

You will get used to it. And if you try it and get chest or discomfort that will be a quick reminder not to do it again. Like others have said I just don't bring a drink to the table and that has helped a lot.

On a side note. Double check that Vitamin E is ok to take prior to surgery. Someone once told me that it thins your blood.

Good luck!

Check with your surgeon regarding her opinion about taking milk thistle for your liver. I thought it was an excellent idea, but when my surgeon found out, he told me to stop.

I am pre-op but my nurse highly advised against "cheating" and drinking with meals. She said that you aren't using the tool of VSG properly when you drink Water and flush the food down quicker. She suggested taking smaller bites and chewing thoroughly. She said that if you are aren't able to get a bite down without water you've either taken too big of a bite or haven't chewed thoroughly. I am trying to learn to eat with smaller utensils so that it is automatic to take a smaller bite. Now chewing more thoroughly and thoughtfully - that can be a challenge sometimes.

On the topic of flushing food down with liquid.....I have not experienced this at all. I really don't notice any difference with how long before I feel hungry again when I drink with meals vs not. In the beginning though I didn't want to listen to the whole drinking with meals and I got the lovely slimes. It happened a few times before I figured out I didn't want that happening...lol ( I am stubborn btw )

On the topic of flushing food down with liquid.....I have not experienced this at all. I really don't notice any difference with how long before I feel hungry again when I drink with meals vs not. In the beginning though I didn't want to listen to the whole drinking with meals and I got the lovely slimes. It happened a few times before I figured out I didn't want that happening...lol ( I am stubborn btw )

What exactly are the slimes?