Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need other men's advice.

There's a lot of advice on these forums but I need to hear from other guys. I am to be sleeved in morning and I just need to know if its worth it?? I love family eating gatherings and there's nothing like a big burger or pizza. Is it hard living without this stuff forever? Also, did anyone have any problem with the permanent nature of the surgery? I'm just freaking out today I guess.

Once the surgery is done with, and your about 6 months out you can eat whatever you want. I just stay away from breads on burgers or at least eat half the bottom bun and discard the top if I want the taste. I'm about 5 months out and have lost over 100 lbs it's well worth it. I had my surgery oct 31 and had to go through all the holidays without eating anything yummy and I was discouraged. But now 5 months out I don't even remember why I was so down about it. Your life goes back to normal once you get use to the changes like no drinking while eating and stuff like that.

And if I eat pizza I eat only the toppings (omg i meant taking not testie) my first bite is with the crust then after that I through it away.

Well ... I, too, loved the family gatherings and the food fests. Going to a buffet? Count me in.

But this attitude and relationship with food was killing me. I had to make a change if I was going to make it to retirement. How many morbidly obese 65 year olds do you see? I'm not working my whole life so my wife can enjoy retirement and my children's kids have perhaps only one grandpa.

I knew if I did a band, the way my mind worked, I would justify the smallest complication would mean removal and back to old habits. I needed a permanent change.

I'm over 20 months out and this has been the best decision of my life. Sure, at first, I mourned food. Now I rejoice in the fact that I am no longer a slave to it.

And if I eat pizza I eat only the toppings testies my first bite is with the crust then after that I through it away.

I do eat pizza today, but try to avoid the testies on my pizza. But to each his own ...

(sorry, fyre ... couldn't resist)

So its hard at first then gets fairly back to normal?? I'm very ready to lose the weight but this is a big change!!!

So its hard at first then gets fairly back to normal?? I'm very ready to lose the weight but this is a big change!!!

Yes absolutely it is very hard but in the end it's worth it!

I do eat pizza today' date=' but try to avoid the testies on my pizza. But to each his own ...

(sorry, frye ... couldn't resist)[/quote']

Omg my dumb friend went through my phone and changed my auto correct so every time I type b u t it spells testies wtf. So embarrassing lol

It gets completely back to normal ... just smaller portions.

Went out to dinner last month and had lobster with scalloped potatos and asparagus. Ate 1/4 of the lobster, 1/4 of the potatos and 2 spears. I was full, satisfied and didn't feel *blah* after. That is one of the great things about this. You eat ... you get full ... you don't feel like crap physically or mentally after. I eat steak, ribs ... but like Frye, I do avoid the breads, but can eat them. They just take up so much space that I would rather allocate to something nutritionally relevant.

I have energy like I never had before and am able to exercise and do things I was never able to do.

With me, yes, at first it changed family/social gatherings and how I approached food at those gatherings. But those changes to me were not all that big of a deal. To me, it's more being mindful of the surgery I've had when I'm at these functions, such as eating the Protein foods first and not drinking with those meals. Other than that, I just enjoy myself and since I'm over a year out, it's almost just habit for me to get Protein in and not drink with my meals. By that time, I'm so full that IF I do want a dessert and partake, I'll eat very little of it. It may be an adjustment for the first few months trying to keep these things in mind, but eventually it will be something you'll not even think twice about and can concentrate on entertaining your guests or just relax and enjoy yourself. For most, the benefits of this surgery far outweigh the mild annoyance from the minor adjustments we have to make after the sleeve.

I had these same concerns before my surgery as I'm in these social situations a lot (parties, holiday gatherings, tailgating, etc). But I've had to sacrifice very little and I still party ALMOST as hard as I did before. ;) With that in mind, just be careful with your alcohol and know that many sleevers turn to drinking as an emotional outlet to replace their past dependency on food. Also, there are all of those empty calories with alcoholic drinks, but I do have a glass of wine or a draft beer (lower carbonation) on occasion.

It's definitely worth it. I'm two months out and had the same thoughts as you prior to surgery. It hasn't been too bad so far... I do miss a few things here and there, but I'm down 50 pounds in two months, have a ton more energy and all my bloodwork tests have returned to normal (Cholesterol, glucose, BP...).

Im pretty much eating whatever I want, but just in smaller portions. I find that I just don't have the interest like I used to.

Go for it!

I know exactly how you feel. On top of all the reasons you gave for misgivings about the operation I was worried that I would faint all the time from lack of food. My mind was referring back to a time when I dieted and exercised hard and got light headed a lot.

It did not turn out like I worried. I was flabbergasted by how well I felt with so little food. No fainting. As the pounds came off my strength and wind elevated. Now at 64 I am exercising like I did in my 20's.

Food is good because it gives you fuel and it tastes good. It is not necessary to stuff your gut with mass quantities to enjoy it. I chew slow, savor the taste, and use the energy. I naturally gravitate to good food because I only have so much room and junk is a waste of space.

I feel much more masculine now. I have power in reserve. I am no longer helpless; no more getting my granddaughters to tie my shoes. No more being pushed in a wheelchair. Now they have a hard time keeping up with grampa. I feel like I have defeated a disability.

you aren't going to chow down like you did in the past, but you'll eat more like a "normal" person. The Portion Control is mostly built in with the sleeve. Now you have to do your part and eat healthy and get the right amount of exercise. The sleeve itself won't take the weight off on its own. It will help in a lot of ways though. What I like about it, is that feeling you get to snack, just seems to go away or I can control it a lot better. I don't sit and graze like I used to. Also I am a stress and emotional eater, both of these are under much better control with the sleeve than before. I think the surgery will change or should change your outlook on food and your diet. It doesn't mean that you become a social outcast, but it become a fair more manageable post - op. You should be fine.

It's earlier on the wallet sometimes when you are happy to share or get an appetizer instead of plowing through app, entree & dessert. Nice to eat a few boiled crawfish & not being the 'clean-up' dude still at the table finishing up the sack.

I know exactly how you feel. On top of all the reasons you gave for misgivings about the operation I was worried that I would faint all the time from lack of food. My mind was referring back to a time when I dieted and exercised hard and got light headed a lot.

It did not turn out like I worried. I was flabbergasted by how well I felt with so little food. No fainting. As the pounds came off my strength and wind elevated. Now at 64 I am exercising like I did in my 20's.

Food is good because it gives you fuel and it tastes good. It is not necessary to stuff your gut with mass quantities to enjoy it. I chew slow, savor the taste, and use the energy. I naturally gravitate to good food because I only have so much room and junk is a waste of space.

I feel much more masculine now. I have power in reserve. I am no longer helpless; no more getting my granddaughters to tie my shoes. No more being pushed in a wheelchair. Now they have a hard time keeping up with grampa. I feel like I have defeated a disability.

I am fired up after reading that! Way to go "gmanbat"! Tell it like it is!