Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When I was researching the different bariatric options, I definately didn't want to do the lap band because of how easy it is to cheat on it plus I don't want another medical implant in my body. Plus, I've read too many horror stories about problems with the lap band.

When reseraching the gastric bypass, there are numerous side effects such as dumping syndrome and malnurishment. Plus when researching it, it honestly felt like the bypass is for someone that is extremly overweight. example: BMI over 50 - (just my opinion).

The sleeve seemed like the logical choice. It wasn't as extreme as the bypass and doesn't have as many negative side effects. Plus, it's harder to cheat on than if I were on the lapband.

Many people are concerned about the long term side effects of the sleeve since there aren't many studies out there. I'm going off memory, but I thought I once read that the Sleeve procedure has been around for quite a while now. Originally it was used for people that had stomach cancer - they would cut out part of the persons stomach. Given the weight loss results, it was adapted for an official weight loss surgery. Has anyone else heard of this or am I just on crack this morning?

FYI - I just completed all of my pre-op appointments and I go for my sugery on April 9th.

We have similar stats, I am 41 also, highest weight was 305 and currently at 271 after losing a little bit in my 3 month journey heading towards surgery. I was one who always said there was no way I would do a weight loss surgery and it was coming across information on the sleeve that changed my mind. I really like that they remove the stomach but leave your digestive system alone that always really freaked me out. At 41, I think I am at an age where I'm not doing this for anyone but me. I did a half marathon (walked of course) and remember being so proud of myself crossing that finish line. That now, is my motivation. I want to do races, small long all different kinds. So, when I get freaked out about why I am doing this, I close my eyes and picture that finish line. I love this site because you do hear the good, bad and ugly of the surgery. My information is currently at Aetna awaiting approval, and I really hope to be scheduled soon. Whatever you decide, good luck on your journey!

Good for you. I don't get morphine I get Dilaudid. I take that through a IV when I have flare ups with my Crohns and it does the trick. Congrats and good luck

Good for you. I don't get morphine I get Dilaudid. I take that through a IV when I have flare ups with my Crohns and it does the trick. Congrats and good luck

Thank you so much !!! Yeah I think I took the same thing it's God in juice ????

Thank you everyone for all of your support...you are all AMAZING!!

Well, I had my second consultation with my surgeon. He reviewed everything and said he was going to seek approval from my insurance company. Low and behold, they received the approval from my insurance company in two days!! We are in the process of selecting a date...

This went really fast!!

How are all of you doing??

Well, just went for my 6 week check up since my Sleeve. I am down 41 lbs. and THRILLED. The new way of eating takes a bit to time to adapt and so glad I can have chocolate Peanut Butter shakes and can drink various fluids without any trouble tolerating Water to V8 juice. My friend had trouble with some types of vegetable juice but I am not experiencing this. I just started eating cereral, crackers, salads, fresh fruits, fresh veggies, most meats (not beef, not ham) so am eating mostly chicken or fish if I am going to have meat. puddings and Soups are lifesavers as unflavored Proteins can be easily mixed in. (if you use Unjury Protein Powder, make sure Soup is not over 140 degrees F or it will clump, so cook and then cool to that temp and then mix it). I can also now eat Premier Protein Nutrition Bars (I like chocolate peanut butter or double chocolate crunch) and I nibble on a few almonds along with it. Still can't eat an entire nutrition bar all at once, can finish about 2/3 of it, but I am getting in my proteins, so happy about that. Dr. just said I can now go to the pool, so that will help alot because I have to have a knee and hip replacement and then back surgery so walking and biking is out of the realm of possibility. Spending about an hour floating on a "noodle" and riding it like a bicylce in the pool and feel tired and exhilirated that I can enjoy this FINALLY. I can tell you that whatever I eat, I am full after 3-5 bites no matter what I am eating. I am sipping noncarbonated beverages all day and evening and just barely getting in 64 ounces about 75% of the time. I feel so good having lost 41 lbs already considering I have been stuck in a chair for several years due to the hip, knee and back problems, but they tell me if I lose 9 more pounds I can have my hip done and that will give me tremendous relief. So feeling pretty darn good. Just had my lab work and have gone from 5 medications to 1 medication,(just Synthyroid) no more high blood pressure, now averaging a wonderful 110/70 with no meds and it's been like that since 2 weeks post surgical. No more cholesterol problems, no more pre-diabetes, etc. No more sleep meds and so glad I took this path. Hope you all are having great results also.

As far as my journey with the sleeve.. now (4 months post-op), I feel it was a great decision, however make sure you're extremely comfortable with your doctor. I was also one to say I would never in a million years have WLS, but here I am post-op! This journey will change your life. I had an extremely painful recovery, which I now know is very rare.. but I still would go back and do the same thing over again. Feel free to message me with any questions! Good luck!

Thank you for sharing! I'm do happy for you! Keep up the great work & stay in touch. My date is scheduled for May 20th & I start my liquid diet on Monday!

As far as my journey with the sleeve.. now (4 months post-op)' date=' I feel it was a great decision, however make sure you're extremely comfortable with your doctor. I was also one to say I would never in a million years have WLS, but here I am post-op! This journey will change your life. I had an extremely painful recovery, which I now know is very rare.. but I still would go back and do the same thing over again. Feel free to message me with any questions! Good luck![/quote']

Thank you for your support!!