Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi Everyone! I just registered for this site after doing some researching about the sleeve.

If you would have asked me 10 years ago, when many of my friends began their journeys with WLS, if I would pursue it, I would have said absolutely not but now my mind has decided otherwise. In July 2012, I went for my first consult, thinking that I would proceed with the bypass, after totally ruling out the band. However, in the last month or so, I have stronger feelings towards going with the sleeve.

I just completed all of my testing and am in the process of scheduling my second consultation to discuss surgery choice.

So far, here is my information:

I am a 41 year old female. I have struggled with my weight my entire life. My highest weight was 335, lowest weight was 260 and currently am 296.

My consult was with NY Bariatric Group and my surgeon is Dr. Spencer Hollover. The hospital of choice is Mercy Medical Center.

I need your help!!! Please provide your honest feedback, both positive and negative, regarding your own journey with the sleeve.

I would appreciate your responses and your support...

Thank you so very much!!!

Hi Everyone! I just registered for this site after doing some researching about the sleeve.

If you would have asked me 10 years ago' date=' when many of my friends began their journeys with WLS, if I would pursue it, I would have said absolutely not but now my mind has decided otherwise. In July 2012, I went for my first consult, thinking that I would proceed with the bypass, after totally ruling out the band. However, in the last month or so, I have stronger feelings towards going with the sleeve.

I just completed all of my testing and am in the process of scheduling my second consultation to discuss surgery choice.

So far, here is my information:

I am a 41 year old female. I have struggled with my weight my entire life. My highest weight was 335, lowest weight was 260 and currently am 296.

My consult was with NY Bariatric Group and my surgeon is Dr. Spencer Hollover. The hospital of choice is Mercy Medical Center.

I need your help!!! Please provide your honest feedback, both positive and negative, regarding your own journey with the sleeve.

I would appreciate your responses and your support...

Thank you so very much!!![/quote']

Hello well I think the sleeve is the best choice by far !!!!! I have had family do the bypass and only look a little about of weight and also GAIN IT ALL BACK !! And I know you don't want that. My mom who is 46 years old had the sleeve 5-10 years ago I can't remember looks AMAZING !!! After having twins and my little brother she looks great I'm 19 years old and will be having the sleeve my highest weight has been 245 at 5'2 my BMI is very high!!!! I'm very excited to be having the sleeve my surgery is scheduled for next Thursday the 28th :)

I am still pre-op waiting for approval. I went to surgeon for consult for the band as well. During that visit he suggested bypass but because I wasn't diabetic felt the sleeve was a better choice. He was totally against the band. Bypass to me was too invasive. I know sleeve takes off more than half of the stomach but the malabsorption with bypass and the re-routing of your system was too drastic for me. I have friends with bypass and they are miserable. On the other hands everyone I know directly or indirectly with the sleev have loved it and would do it again. Personally I just felt that sleeve would help me achieve my goals but also not impact my life long term negatively should I develop any ailments down the road.

Thank you both for responding!! I wish you both the best in your journeys!! I agree that the bypass is way too invasive & the more I think about, the more I think it is way too drastic with all the reconstruction, plus the vulnerability that's attached to it. I think that the sleeve is the better choice. The only major concern that I have is what are the long term studies. My surgeon stated that since this is the newer procedure, long term data over 10 years is not available.

Thank you both for responding!! I wish you both the best in your journeys!! I agree that the bypass is way too invasive & the more I think about' date=' the more I think it is way too drastic with all the reconstruction, plus the vulnerability that's attached to it. I think that the sleeve is the better choice. The only major concern that I have is what are the long term studies. My surgeon stated that since this is the newer procedure, long term data over 10 years is not available.[/quote']

Well I can say if it really has been 10 years since my mom as done it .. She's in the best health of her life

I am almost one month out and am very happy that I did it. I've been yo-yoing with my weight and am just tired of it. My surgery went smoothly and so did my recovery. Don't get me wrong, I did have little hiccups here and there. I did vomit the second day at night when I was home, but boy did that feel good afterwards. My stomach cleaned itself out of all the dried blood from the surgery. I had no gas pains and only had one dose of pain med when I first woke up from surgery. From day 3 on, I have been able to get in all my Proteins and fluids. Sometimes, I do feel some tightness at the base of my throat when I've eaten or drank too fast, but I'm getting better with it. And am still learning when my tummy is full and to stop before I take one bite too many (which may cause me to vomit). I am walking every day and getting in at least 10,000 steps a day.

Yes, it is a newer procedure by itself, but it has been done for a very long time as the first step towards another surgery. They just found out recently that the sleeve by itself is effective. Can't remember all the specifics.

I think this is one decision you won't regret!

The sleeve started as the first step before a bypass was completed for extremely obese patients that could not undergo bypass because of excessive weight. Once weight loss leveled off after the sleeve the bypass was performed. This was for patients 400 pounds or more. I have nt seen any long term studies but I know it was a 1st step procedure until it was recently approved as a procedure available without the bypass.

Best decision Ever! I hate I lost so many years of my life missing out on the side lines. Not any more!

What is it that Roosevelt said? "You have nothing to fear but fear itself." When I registered for this forum about a month ago, I felt the same way. Here I am, was sleeved on 3-13-13 Wednesday, home by Friday night 3-15-13 and feeling halfway decent. They knock you out, do their thing, you spend the first day in kind of a blur after coming out of surgery. Second day, not too bad, as on the first day when you are in Recovery, you are still dopey, and when you get to your room, you have a little button to push that zaps you with morphine, so you pretty much feel ok, except you are still foggy, nodding off to sleep, not caring what is going on until they get you up to walk. MAKE SURE YOU TAKE A LITTLE PILLOW THE SIZE OF YOUR TUMMY to the hospital and when they get you up, hold the pillow on your tummy, take a deep breath and then go for your walk. Then they get you ingesting Clear Liquids (jello, tea, coffee, broth) after they do a leak test in Radiology to make sure when you drink something it's going through your body like it's supposed to. That was a piece of cake. (well, not real cake LOL) Then you go home when they discharge you and you begin your journey. I was 276 when I joined this site, after the presurg diet, which I had to stay on for 5 weeks because just before surgery I came down with a horrible upper respiratory bug that meant we had to reschedule from Feb 20, then to Feb 27 and then ultimately til Mar 13. That was the hardest but I am now 6 days out from my sleeve day and I am now 254. I have vowed not to weigh myself again til I see my Dr for my first visit post op which is Mar 28 and then I will report back. Overall, this was not HORRIBLY DIFFICULT, it was, considering the life change it will bring, the best damn thing I have probably ever done for myself so sleep soundly tonight. Your life affirming decision will to do this probably will not be regretted. I keep saying "Why did I wait so long?" I chose the sleeve definitely because I bought the book THE SLEEVED LIFE at Amazon and there were MANY reasons the SLEEVE was appealing over the band and the full RouenY bypass. Get the book - it was CHEAP.

Thank you both for responding!! I wish you both the best in your journeys!! I agree that the bypass is way too invasive & the more I think about, the more I think it is way too drastic with all the reconstruction, plus the vulnerability that's attached to it. I think that the sleeve is the better choice. The only major concern that I have is what are the long term studies. My surgeon stated that since this is the newer procedure, long term data over 10 years is not available.

Your surgeon is correct that this hasn't been a standalone procedure for long enough to have 10-year data. However, as someone else mentioned, the procedure itself has been around as step one of the duodenal switch surgery since the late 80s, if I recall correctly. There are probably studies related to its use as a first stage restrictive procedure. There are studies that go out five years, though, and more coming in every day.

I'm very confident in my decision that this surgery is the route for me. I have far too many friends and acquaintances who have had bands which were either limited in success or resulted in problems - probably about 50% of those I know, in fact. Bypass, as you and others have said, is just too extreme for me to agree to for the rest of my life. The sleeve isn't perfect, but it's the best option for me.

Thank you all for your honesty, support and encouragement. I am so humbled by everyone who took their time to share with me. I am so elated that I came across this website, registered and am now a member to encounter wonderful people as yourselves!

Hello well I think the sleeve is the best choice by far !!!!! I have had family do the bypass and only look a little about of weight and also GAIN IT ALL BACK !! And I know you don't want that. My mom who is 46 years old had the sleeve 5-10 years ago I can't remember looks AMAZING !!! After having twins and my little brother she looks great I'm 19 years old and will be having the sleeve my highest weight has been 245 at 5'2 my BMI is very high!!!! I'm very excited to be having the sleeve my surgery is scheduled for next Thursday the 28th :)

Did you get your surgery and how did it go?? Hope your doing great =)

Did you get your surgery and how did it go?? Hope your doing great =)

Yes I got the surgery this past Thursday I'm recovering !!!!! I came home yesterday :)

Im going in April 16th. I cant wait!!!!

Im going in April 16th. I cant wait!!!!

Good for you !!! Prepare for some pain ask to be taken of morphine it will make you so dizzy and nauseas ..... I threw up the whole first night and it's not the best feeling !!! Make sure you get up and walk as much as you can I was sleeved on Thursday and came home yesterday :)