Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any Smokers/Ex-Smokers?

I just have a question regarding smoking after the surgery.

Did anyone have problems afterwards, or decided to quit after?

I'm a smoker and finding it really difficult to quit, so I'm just curious.

And please, if you're planning to be rude, do not comment.

This post is intended for the open-minded.

My surgeon requires you quit prior to having the surgery. I personally quit 5yrs ago (after smoking for 10yrs, 2 packs a day) and haven't had surgery yet but it was definitely the best choice I made. I watched my grandmother die from smoking and my grandpa has the worst form of emphysema his doctors have ever seen (he will probably pass soon). Ultimately if you don't want to quit, you wont. The first few days were the worst for me but after I got past that it was just a mental thing. I wanted it more than needed it. Now the smell makes me really sick. If you are unable to just throw the pack out and commit to not buying them anymore try cutting down to half of what you smoke, then in a week cut that down to half and so on.

136116891484217.jpg

Hi Lee. I had my last cigarette 7 weeks ago and am slowly getting myself off the nicotine gum that helped me quit. I expect surgery in May. First, let me say that I know it is difficult -- it is an addiction after all. When I smoked and I knew it was SO bad for me but I did it anyway...well I just knew it was bad. The whole 25 years that I did it.

I think what really motivated me to quit though was indeed getting this surgery--- I want the surgery and recovery to be as easy as I can get it. And the reading I've done about smoking and anesthesia and surgery, well it was eye opening.

Try read: http://anesthesiologyinfo.com/articles/12012003.php

One sentence that really struck me in this article was that these are proven facts, not just theories.

The gastric sleeve surgery is pretty hard core. Why no do everything in your power to give yourself the best opportunity to recover well? You CAN do this. If I can, you can -- I promise.

There are some that never quit smoking and do just fine. You should perform some forum searches and read the threads. I suggest you make a serious effort to stop. Yes I know it is difficult but it can be done if you sincerely want to. I smoked since age 17 but had no choice but to quit as my doctor requires it and also tests prior. I made a decision to have this surgery and change my life and decided to go all the way.

Your body (and mind!) is about to go through some major changes, why not give it help instead of hindrances?

Smoking post op cuts down the oxygen that is sent to your stomach to heal it. It also impacts your ability to breath after wards. Like Roserie stated, the healthier choice is to stop smoking if at all possible. I hope you make a good choice for yourself, after all, you've made a choice to have this wls to have a healthier lifestyle......

I'm an ex smoker. Twenty three years to be exact. I stopped because my job location was becoming a smoke free environment and the company offered a free smoking cessation program SMOKENDERS. SMOKENDERS is a behavioral modification program. I know it's hard, but I would really suggest quitting, you will feel so much better smoke free.

I quit just over two years ago. Best thing ever! I talked to my doctor and she out me on welbuitren. Worked for me!

I was a smoker for about 15 yrs and made the decision that if I'm cutting out 85% of my stomach to live a longer, healthier life then I'm cutting out smoking also for the same reason. I quit in August and was sleeved in January. I quit cold turkey and while it was tough I'm so glad I did it. I can breath so much better between quitting smoking and losing weight my lungs thank me! It's hard but try to quit, you will feel so much better and if you need help from a dr for a prescription there's no shame in that! Good luck!

I quit smoking 2 months prior to surgery becasue it does help healing not to smoke. However I do smoke when I have a few drinks which is only once or three times a month. I don't smoke going to work with coffee, I don't smoke during work and I don't smoke when I come home, I don't miss it during those times but when I have a few drinks thats when I crave it.

I quit in 2005, prior to getting my first total knee replacement. It was required for that surgery too. I had smoked atleast a pack a day (Kools or, when I got health conscious (HA!), Marlboro Menthol Light 100s) for 35 years. It will definitely kill you to keep on smoking plus it makes you stink (trust me, you don't notice it until you quit).

If you're getting a VSG to be healthy, why would you continue to smoke? If you think quitting smoking is too difficult, what makes you think you'll be able to handle living with only 15% of your stomach?

I know, I am being rude and mean. I'm sorry. It really is hard to quit and even 8 yrs later I STILL want a smoke every once in awhile. I just don't.

You can do it! And lordy, they are so expensive nowadays! With the money you save you'll be able to buy the new wardrobe you'll need when you lose all your excess weight! woo hoo!

You can do it! And lordy, they are so expensive nowadays! With the money you save you'll be able to buy the new wardrobe you'll need when you lose all your excess weight! woo hoo!

Now this is true! When I was quitting, I had two jars one with smoked cigarette butts with Water (when you open the jar the stench is overwhelming and disgusting), and one to put all the money I saved. Of course cigs were much cheaper then, but I was still able to make a major purchase from the money I saved.

I quit in 2005' date=' prior to getting my first total knee replacement. It was required for that surgery too. I had smoked atleast a pack a day (Kools or, when I got health conscious (HA!), Marlboro Menthol Light 100s) for 35 years. It will definitely kill you to keep on smoking plus it makes you stink (trust me, you don't notice it until you quit).

If you're getting a VSG to be healthy, why would you continue to smoke? If you think quitting smoking is too difficult, what makes you think you'll be able to handle living with only 15% of your stomach?

I know, I am being rude and mean. I'm sorry. It really is hard to quit and even 8 yrs later I STILL want a smoke every once in awhile. I just don't.

You can do it! And lordy, they are so expensive nowadays! With the money you save you'll be able to buy the new wardrobe you'll need when you lose all your excess weight! woo hoo![/quote']

Omg I did that too! I'm like "I'll smoke Marlboro menthol ultra lights, cuz they're so much better for you and I won't cough as much!" ..... Crazy logic! Lol!

And I'm the same way too in that I still want one every now and then (I think it's worse since wls) but I refuse to give in and start up that nasty habit again!