Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any locals?

Great news. I'm so happy the band is working for you. It's important for us to remember that it is a tool, we still have to do the work. I finally get my band 9/29.

Got my fill on Friday. 1cc more. so liquids for a few days. Hope this puts me back on the loss side of this.. For the first time I gined a little... but for 6 months post-op I can't be too upset. Hoping to get back on the band wagon and eat smaller protions..

Looks like everyone is succeeding,

Caelyn, not too much longer to go.

Hi everyone!

Caelyn - how exciting! I remember the week before surgery. I was excited and scared at the same time. (I had never had a surgical procedure before!)

Lynn - cool that you got your fill. You have done really well. I know you will succeed. Look how well you have done so far!

I am the opposite of the average bander. I loose more weight each month. But, considering I didn't loose weight for 2 months, that is not saying too much. In the past 4 weeks I lost 8 pounds, so I am happy. I did not get a fill at the doc's today. I didn't really want one. I don't go back until the end of November. We will see if I need a fill then.

Today was such a nice day and I was off work. I really enjoyed myself. I walked all over Walmart and then all over Wilmington. The funny part is that I didn't even notice how much I walked until I started thinking about what I had done for the day. I think that is great!

Been 'out of the loop' from this forum for a long time. I really should get more involved, and going to try to.

Have you seen me in my Geek Squad bug, or at your house? LMAO.

Be checkin in more often, just need to figure out my ICQ ID now ... <grin>

Hi Everyone!

I'm excited. I got my first fill today(4cc) and it went well. I'm on liquids only again for the next few days but it will be well worth it. 29 days post-op and I have lost 15 pounds.

Caelyn-Congrats on the surgery date, it won't be long now.

My fill is working. I think this last fill is the best thing ever

I have great restriction, at least for now...lost 3.5 # this past week

So I'm down to 4 days left on my countdown. I'm scheduled for surgery 10/3/08 at 7:30 am. I'm excited and nervous but not at all unsure or afraid. I still know I want this and can do this. But I've got jitters all the same. I think I've bought EVERY thing I could need and I've already packed a few things into my overnight bag. Wednesday I start my Clear Liquids. I feel like I'm eating too much the last few days, kind of like I'm trying to have all my favorites one more time. Anyway, any advice from you guys or tips on what to bring to the hospital? Or what to expect? I'm going to St. Francis btw. Thanks again, Julie

Hi Julie!

Last supper syndrome is a tough one! I wanted to eat and eat.....but, I kept it to a minimum!

I'd suggest that you bring something to read, a small pillow for the ride home. Very comfy clothes. (bring loose stuff, your stomach will be swollen and you don't want anything tight around you) The pillow is to put between you and your seatbelt. I'd also recommend that you hit the medicine button as much as you can once you know they are discharging you. It will last you for the ride home and maybe even longer.

Hi Hope in April! Thanks! Your button comment brought a huge smile to my face!:thumbup: I definietly plan to take use of that button on Saturday (it was supposed to be my wedding day but things fell apart) just to keep my spirits up. Thanks for the pillow idea! Hadn't thought of that. They told me before that I could have someone stay with me there - is that true? Thanks again!:thumbup: Jul

Lol, afterthough from my mom! Should I take a robe? Thanks!:thumbup:

Good luck!

I don't know about the robe. You will have to get up and walk, but you will also have an IV. Some very loose, stretchy pants or a skirt would probably be a better idea. Going to the bathroom with an IV is tricky, so make sure they are very easy to get on/off.

I remember all the "last meal" plans I had. Then I went to the doctor for my pre-surgery appointment and she told me to start low-carbing immediately. Aaaaahhhh! That was probably the worst emotional crisis that I had, because I had everything all planned out, then I didn't get to say my food goodbyes. LOL! It seems ridiculous now, but at the time I was a mess. Nobody had warned me about the low-carbing period.

Wasn't somebody having surgery today, too? Or was that last week? In either case, check in to let us know how you are doing!

edited to add - I always like to have my own pillows. Preferrably with bright pillow cases so that they don't get thrown into the laundry. Your cell phone & charger. Comfy, SLIP ON shoes for walking in. And make sure you ask for an extra gown as soon as you get to your room. They ran out when I was there, and it would have been nice to be able to wear an extra one (on backwards) as a robe when traipsing around the hospital.

Edited by Fairysaddle
Afterthoughts ;)

I never thought about a robe and really didn't need one. The few times I walked around I just put another hospital gown on like a robe. The IV ploe makes anything else difficult. I have very loose sweat pants for the ride home. and the pillow for the seatmelt is the best idea anyone had for me.

Just have everything set at home for when you get back there. I was all set up for me.

Lol, thanks a bunch for the suggestions!:thumbup: Today is my last day of food before surgery. :cursing: Tomorrow and Thursday are clear liquids. Sadly, I think I'm more nervous about getting through that thatn the surgery itself. I'll be working during the day (which honestly could be good or bad for me) but cooking for my family is going to be torture. Any tips from the pros? :thumbdown: Thanks a bunch guys!

Hi Julie:

I was TERRIFIED of the 2 days of clear liquids. It turns out that it wasn't so bad. First, be well stocked. I had clear diet soda, sugar free Jello in many flavors and plenty of clear broth. Second, keep drinking through the day. When you are hungry, eat jello. I was surprised how much I LOVED the jello. I was happy to eat something of substance. Third, do NOT stay at the table while your family is eating. If you can convince them to go out without you, do it! If not, stay away from the kitchen. I'd try to avoid cooking for them. It is only 2 days! If that is not possible, then go for a walk while they are eating or go somewhere in your home that you will not smell the food. Get someone else to clear the table and put the dishes in the dish washer.

Remember that this will be the last time in a long time that you should drink soda. I took advantage of that and drank diet sprite most of the day.

I was completely dreading liquids, too. That scared me a lot more than the surgery. But it wasn't nearly as bad as I was making it out to be in my mind. Just keep remembering that this is a very short period of time in comparison to the rest of your life.

broth goes a long way to satisfy the savory. You will get sick of sweet stuff.

Jello and sugar free popsicles are a great way to satisfy the need for some texture.

As for feeding the family - it won't kill them to eat junk for a month! Whenever DH was around, I made him deal with it. When he wasn't, the kids ate fast food or something that I could pull out of the fridge/freezer. If it took more than throwing it in the microwave, they were out of luck. :thumbdown: I only sat with them if we were eating in front of the TV. Yep, sign me up for Mother of the year! LOL! But, seriously, 99% of the reason I had this surgery was to get healthy for my kids. I have never stressed over my body image, even though I do appreciate that particular benefit, it was not my motivation. So I wasn't going to stress about being a little bit selfish when it came to having to psychologically deal with liquids. It is very tough psychologically. Give yourself a break and accept that. Don't fight it by trying to be Super Mom. Your family can make some sacrifices, too.