Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I live alone and am wondering how much help I will need after surgery. My sister is coming from out of town but I wonder how long she will need to stay with me.

I'd say 3-4 days. It really depends on age though, it seems if you're say over 40, you might have a rougher time. I'm 29 and it took me about 2-3 days to really feel myself.

I would say a few days also. The only thing you might have an issue with is you can't lift anything over 10lbs for a few weeks, but you should be ok otherwise.

I am 66 and I was uncomfortable for 2weeks, but I pretty much took care of myself for the whole time. You will need someone to go to the store for you until you can drive again and that is different for everyone depending on whether you are still on pain medication. You mainly have to drink Protein and Water the first 2 weeks so it is sip sip sip. You must get up to fix your Protein drinks and you must walk around the house anyway. Best of luck to you

I am 53 and was sleeve 1/10. I had surgery on a thursday, came home friday. My husband was home with me thru the weekend. I was fine to be by myself monday. We actually went out for a drinve on Sunday to do some errands and I felt great.

I wish I was 29! lol I am turning 60 this month. Since I will be on liquids at the beginning, I am hoping I will be able to help myself after a few days. I guess I will be uncomfortable for awhile but as long as I can take care of myself I will be ok.

I live alone and am wondering how much help I will need after surgery. My sister is coming from out of town but I wonder how long she will need to stay with me.

Im 60. Had friends take me to hospital and then give me a ride home 1.5 days later. They carried my bag upstairs, picked up my dog from boarding and brought him home, hugged me and left -all at my request. I just do better on my own because i tend to cater to guests and would have done too much trying to make sure they were comfortable. I sincerely needed no help. I changed into pjs and a big warm robe and had a cup of tea! Ahhhhhhh... Peace and quiet. My house was clean, i had cleared out EVERY bit of food and drinks that i did not want to have in the house and had made sure anything i would need for the next few days was lined up and ready. I felt great and started outdoors walks the next day. Good luck.

Very well said moregoodtimes. And by the way Karen353 some has to do with age and some is your own tolerance to the surgery. I am 57 and truthfully therevwill be a couple of kind of rough days but I thinkmwe all knew that going into this. Good luck on this new adventure we have all begin in our lives.

I'd say 3-4 days. It really depends on age though' date=' it seems if you're say over 40, you might have a rougher time. I'm 29 and it took me about 2-3 days to really feel myself.[/quote']

Amy you know i love you but have to respectfully disagree with you. I think its partly in the mind set, partly to do with pain tolerance and partly to do with the body's reaction to surgery. Ive read for months and months and i see no connection with age. Ive seen all ages complain and all ages have an easy time. This surgery is simply different for each of us. I know bad things can happen ..iggy, liz, sannah... But i think more important than anything is the mind set..do your part to assure a successful surgery and expect to feel well. That does not mean you have to bury your head in the sand and be unprepared, but attitude is everything! Just my 2 cents.

Thanks for all your replies. I am feeling much better now. I am used to taking care of myself and hope I do as well as you all have done. Can't wait to have the surgery and get it all over. I got my approval Mon from my ins company and am waiting to get an appt with the surgeon. I have a chemical stress test tomorrow as I couldn't do the treadmill long enough the first time. This is my last hurdle I have to do. Hoping to get cleared from my cardiologist and have surgery in April.

I agree attitude is important and sometimes I need to work on my attitude. I seem to be all over the place at times. Reading this board has helped me so much for info and understanding what is going to happen or can happen. I do think I need to concentrate more on the positive posts than the negative ones.

Do you have someone to drive you to your first post op appt? It is usually one week from surgery and they do not want you driving at that time.

I would say a couple of day, I did not need any help at all I was fine, had surgery on Tuesday driving on Thursday. It depends on your recovery, I didn't have any pain, gas or discomfort. BTW I'm 53. :)

Do you have someone to drive you to your first post op appt? It is usually one week from surgery and they do not want you driving at that time.

I think that depends on your surgeon, I was okayed to drive as long as I was not taking pain medication. I drove myself to the first post-op and I was fine. She should probably check with her surgeon.

I'd say 3-4 days. It really depends on age though, it seems if you're say over 40, you might have a rougher time. I'm 29 and it took me about 2-3 days to really feel myself.

Bite your tongue Amy.. :P I'm 55 and felt back to normal before I left the hospital!

It just depends... On,who knows? No one! A gazillion different things could make one outcome different from another.