Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Would you have paid without insurance coverage?

So, I have been denied twice and my appeal was just denied by UHC! My BMI is about 38 and I was diagnosed with high blood pressure in 2011. Insurance is stating that I would have to have the co-morbidity for 5 years in addition to the 5 years of weight history since I am below a BMI of 40. I have struggled with weight my entire life. I am 49 years old and I don't see this changing. I've lost weight several times over the years just to regain it, plus more! My parents both died in their mid 60's. both had high blood pressure and were overweight probably about the same as me as far as BMI. So, my question is..... Looking back at what you achieved, would you have gone through this having to pay yourself? I am not comfortable at this point going to Mexico so I will be checking with my doctor to see what he will charge me with no assistance from insurance. I am guessing around $20k. Thanks in advance for your feedback!

I was lucky and insurance covered me but YES I would self pay if I wasn't covered. Best thing I have ever done for myself!

I was lucky and insurance covered me but YES I would self pay if I wasn't covered. Best thing I have ever done for myself!

Me too!

Yes, and I did pay.

I did self-pay, $12,500. I wanted the surgeon that I got and was willing to pay for it since my health insurance has a total exclusion for bariatric surgery. For me, going to Mexico never crossed my mind because Dr Domkowski came SO highly recommended. My best friend is an ER nurse and had worked with him previously. Between her endorsement of him and his amazing success rate, I was sold completely. I still feel it was the best decision I ever made and worth every single penny! :)

I was self pay for my band and revision,Mexico both times. You do not sacrifice your quality of care by going there, you only spend less :)

Revision 1/31/13 by Dr Cabrera and Venezuela in MX

would you have gone through this having to pay yourself?

Houston17

Hi Tex :)

i also was fortunate that my WLS was completely covered

but - i would have thought about "it" WLS longer and harder due to the considerable cost

wouldn't be second guessing the surgery itself - just the financial responsiblity

if you get over your fear of Mexico i "think" people pay prices from $7,000 - $12,000???

obviously much cheaper that US

My answer to your question - would i have proceeded with surgery if i had to pay for it????

Yes :)

I am paying about $11,000 cash for mine. In Texas.

And the way I look at this way, if it gives me 10 more years with my kids it is worth every cent.

I paid $5,600 for a revision, for just the sleeve is $4,500, that included transportation from airport to Mexico, 3 nights in hotel and 2 nights in hospital.

Revision 1/31/13 by Dr Cabrera and Venezuela in MX

My insurance wouldn't cover the actual surgery (i had the sleeve) I had a Hiatal hernia as well so my insurance ended up covering part of it so my total out of pocket was $7200! I am from TX as well! If you have heartburn or reflux a lot then you prob have a hernia!

I'm from Houston area too & was lucky that mine was covered by insurance! But it was a battle! My insurance didn't cover it...so had to switch to hubby's insurance & it did...but I had to jump through the hoops!! Bottom line..if his had denied me again ( I had to appeal)... I was prepared to self pay! I was that determined! Now, post surgery....YES...I would def self pay! It's the best thing I have ever done for myself!

My insurance would have covered it but I would have waited years for the actual surgery. I'm from Vancouver,bc and I believe the wait times are 3+ years, last I checked. Wasn't willing to wait so I paid out of pocket.

I would have had to wait several years if I wanted my insurance to cover it so I paid for it myself, but if it gives me energy and the ability to play with my grandaughter then it is well worth it. Being 1 month out, I'm not there yet..lol

I didn't have to do this but I would have if I had lost to much weight on the 6 month supervised diet. I could not fall below 40 bmi because I have no co-morbidity issues. But I have heard of someone using ankle weights for their weight-ins. It would have worked for me because at all my appointments they weighted me with my clothes and shoes on. I just think the numbers game is a little ridiculous, I love how insurance companies make you wait to get more unhealthy before they will cover it. Anyway Mexico is a great option, my mom is planning on heading down there for her sleeve. Dr. Kelly is $5500 doesn't include the flight. In my opinion the Mexican surgeons are just as good as the ones in the states maybe even better as they usually have done a lot more of these surgeries. Good luck. I hope everything works out for you.

My surgeon has a cash cost of 9,995.