Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I too am in Canada and chose to go to Mexico for surgery. 5-7 year wait times in Alberta were the issue. I went with Drs Valenzuela and Cabrera in TJ and my only regret is that I left my hubby at home. I was lonely! Lol. Walked to the local mall the day after I left the hospital, 45 minutes up hill from the hotel. Drs, nurses, coordinators and drivers were all great, as we're the hotel staff. I was dropped off at San Diego airport at 8am and my flight wasn't till 6 hours later but I sat and read sipping my Gatorade until it was time to check in and go through security. I would recommend my surgeons to anyone with the proviso not to expect same cleanliness standards as at home. Room wasn't cleaned while I was in it (at mi dr) sheets not changed and bathroom not cleaned but everything was spotless when I arrived.

Just a funny side note. Speaking of naked patients. A bajillion years ago when I was 19 I had surgery to remove my gallbladder/appendix. It was the open kind and I was terrified and fighting as I was going under. The next thing I knew I opened my eyes and saw bright lights above me. I turned my head to the side and I saw gurneys, a row of them right beside me and each one had a body on it. There was an uncovered naked man laying beside me. I looked to the other side and there was a partially covered elderly lady there. I thought to myself. Well, I was afraid something like this would happen. I didn't make it. This is the morgue. As I pondered how strange it was that I seemed to be at peace knowing I am dead I heard a loud moan. The naked man beside me was trying to wake up. I thought " poor guy, he doesn't know yet." Just about then he screamed, " Nuuuuuuurse!!!!! Nuuuuuurse!!!! My pee-pee hurts! " Poof, there went my warm cozy on my way to the Heavenly Gates moment. I was just in recovery.

I love it that someone is happy, but willing to tell the truth. Kudos to you OP. Seeing a naked person in the ER would not be good, but waiting until that night for surgery that was suppose to take place that morning. Hell, I might have had a stroke!!!! Glad you are ok, back home and happy, you'll love this surgery, the results are awesome!

I just wanted to thank the OP for posting their experience. Everyone is not going to have a rosy experience and I applaud them for their honesty. I would rather be prepared for the worst and be able to say "that wasn't so bad" then go in unprepared. I hope more persons will continue to post the good the bad and the ugly.

Most of my problem with American providers is with the attitude of the surgeon & the staff

In Mexico' date=' any little discomfort is taken seriously, examined, and addressed. Quite the opposite in American hospitals.

In Mexico they want to identify any possible issue before it becomes a problem, whereas whereas American facilities have repeatedly written off complaints as patients just being whiners.

And when there is a problem, American doctors first response seems to be to avoid litigation, whereas in Mexico the first response is to serve the patient.

I don't really blame the surgeons for this as much as I do society. They are practicing medicine in an environment that is continually seeking an opportunity to rake them over the coals. Whereas in Mexico a patients recourse is to ruin the surgeons future career, but it won't be to the financial benefit of the patient.[/quote']

I couldn't agree with you more. I'm an OR nurse and I've chosen to have my surgery in Mexico because I feel the surgeon I chose has lots more experience than the surgeons at the hospital where I work. The hospital staff ( doctors, nurses, & every other health care provider) are so busy trying to complete mandatory paperwork, follow ridiculous governmental rules that we don't get to care for our patients the way we should or want to. I think most hospitals have some sort of motto that says "patients first" or some variation thereof, however, it all really boils down to the money.

I'm very comfortable with my decision to go to Mexico and I have insurance that covers the sleeve.

I've been a Nurse for 38 years. I can't understand not draping Patients. In the US everything is draped except the body part that's being worked on. As for the diarrhea... with my history of chronic Constipation, diarrhea will be a blessing.. that is unless it happens on the plane or in the Van on the way to the airport. With that said... maybe I need to pack some "Depends", and baby wipes. As for the waiting... when I went to see Dr. Jawad in Orlando, I waited a total of 3 hours. First in a classroom, then in the exam room, then waiting to talk with the Doc, and then waiting to talk to the insurance guy. I spoke with each one less then 10 minutes, and the "class" lasted maybe 15 minutes. If I had seen the Insurance guy first, I'd have been out of there after the first 10 minutes. Insurance company turned me down because I haven't been employed by the hospital for 24 consecutive months... now that was non-negotiable. They'll give free medical care to people without insurance, but turned me down, and wouldn't offer me a discount for cash. I worked for the hospital for 10 years, left to take another position and returned 4 years later. I didn't want to wait another year for my surgery...and if I lost 20 pounds, I wouldn't meet the BMI criteria.

I was wearing a robe, which opens up in the back. I'm not sure how they did the surgery, but I'm assuming they either lift the robe up over to your boobs (thereby leaving you naked from the neck down) or they untie it from the back and still have to move it to clear the area, still pretty much leaving you naked. Not sure how else they could do it? Were you guys wearing panties? I wasn't. I was having my period but I wore a tampon (surgeon request, and my preference!). I was only wearing socks. Ooooh socks. Seee? NOT NAKED! :)

I was wearing panties. Who knows if they removed them during surgery, but they were on when I woke up! Thankfully they gave me valium in the pre-op room, so I was totally out when they wheeled me into the OR. My hubby got to be w/ me when they gave me the valium so he was the last thing I saw before I woke up! If they stripped me naked, I would never know ;)

I figured if I was out, who cares, as long as they get the job done right!

I'm thinking of using Dr. Corvala. Has anyone had him?

Oh No, sorry to hear of your troubles! I will be there in a few weeks & sure hope the OR is sterilized well between patients! Main thing is that you made it through everything ok & hope those memories fade as you focus on getting well.

THANKS FOR YOUR COMENTS , I USED READY 4 CHANGE WITH ALMA,IRENE,EDWARDO AND DR Fernando Garcia , AND YOUR RIGHT ABOUT THE LEAK TEST NOT TELLING US I KNEW ONLY BY BEING IN THE MEDICAL FIELD, THE ONLY WAIT I HAD WAS CHECKING INTO THE MARRIOTT WE ARRIVED AT 1100 AM HOTEL CHECKIN WAS 3PM, THEN RELEASED FROM HOSPITAL AT 1100 AM AND HOTEL CHECKIN NOT TELL 3 PM SO THAT WAS AN ISSUE AND I VISITED WITH THE PEOPLE WITH READY 4 CHANGE MAYBE THE WILL CHANGE THAT, HOPE YOUOR WEIGHT LOSS GOES GREAT AND I'LL SEND YOU THOSE POST OP INST AFTER lunch

Lol that's funny when u said u saw naked person my only bad thing I saw and it did scare me was when I went out to walk and say one o the janitors his name was Lalo he has a tattoo on his lower back park of his neck well I saw him giving hisself meds in between his fingers no I didn't say anything cause I was in anther country and was scared to death of him maybe tryi g to hurt me so I kept quite

Yes I did and I didn't go alone I took a friend with me and we both seen it. Scared too was the word for it didnt won't to say anything because u never know what that man Lalo was putting in between his fingers the needles are rather big and it even left the blood on his hand bt it didn't seem to bother him at all. Bt I didn't won't to say anything there the meds are very easy to get especially when the nurses let them back where the meds are and they aren't locked up

Just a funny side note. Speaking of naked patients. A bajillion years ago when I was 19 I had surgery to remove my gallbladder/appendix. It was the open kind and I was terrified and fighting as I was going under. The next thing I knew I opened my eyes and saw bright lights above me. I turned my head to the side and I saw gurneys' date=' a row of them right beside me and each one had a body on it. There was an uncovered naked man laying beside me. I looked to the other side and there was a partially covered elderly lady there. I thought to myself. Well, I was afraid something like this would happen. I didn't make it. This is the morgue. As I pondered how strange it was that I seemed to be at peace knowing I am dead I heard a loud moan. The naked man beside me was trying to wake up. I thought " poor guy, he doesn't know yet." Just about then he screamed, " Nuuuuuuurse!!!!! Nuuuuuurse!!!! My pee-pee hurts! " Poof, there went my warm cozy on my way to the Heavenly Gates moment. I was just in recovery.[/quote']

I just have to say, thanks so much for sharing. This is one of the funniest things I've ever read. I am literally crying from laughing so hard. I really needed a good laugh after ready all mess on this thread. :)

I think it's good to share experiences and personal stories. That being said, I had my surgery in California and my surgery was not on schedule either. My surgeon had warned me that may be the case, because he said he took his time, never rushed on patients and would take care of any emergency first. I loved that about him because if it were me having the emergency, I'm glad he was prioritizing my care over a scheduled appt. I was scheduled at 2pm. They called that morning pushed back to 3. Wasn't in OR until about 6pm. The only annoying thing was that I was starving... Nothing by mouth since the night before.

I am not worried about who sees me naked. I am fat. I am not proud of it. Surely if they saw me they would turn their head! In about a year from now, I will be proud if they keep looking! My surgery is on 8/23 by Dr. Lopez in TJ. Now my question is this: I have 2 -1 hour plane rides to get home. Should I wear depends? If I do have an accident, can others smell it? It would be hard to clean up in the airplane bathroom.