Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

preop..liquid diet question for those of you who have already been there :)

Hello everyone, thanks in advance for your help...I'm getting sleeved on Tuesday. I'm supposed to have been on an all liquid diet for 2 weeks now...nothing but carnation instant bfast and sf popsicles. I have cheated several times, I've lost about 4 lb and am starving! I'm scared that my liver won't shrink enough and surgeon will get in there and see my liver and not do the surgery...I'm 5'4 and weigh 240....did anyone else cheat on their liquid diet and what happened come surgery day?

My pre op was 10 days, I did not cheat BUT I lost 20 lbs...which made it all worthwhile! Good luck. I think I would probably tell my surgeon just for health's sake, have you ever been told you have a fatty liver?

I wasn't on liquids only for the 2 weeks pre-op, just limited to 1000 calories a day. I had to be on Clear Liquids the day before the surgery. But I did lose a lot in those 2 weeks on such limited calories.

No, I've never been told i have a fatty liver...i was just told that was the purpose of the liquid diet, to shrink the liver for surgery...i know alot of people have no pre OP diet at all...except for clears the day before...that's why I'm wondering if it's a big deal

My surgeon said that the liver is the first place that your body puts on weight, so I would presume that just about anyone who is overweight has a fatty liver. He said that makes the liver hard, and therefore more difficult to work behind for the surgeon. But he said it is also the first place your body burns the fat from, so the 2-week pre-surgery diet was to burn off that fat and give me the "liver of a skinny person" and make his work easier.

I was on a 7 day liquid diet that after 4 days I was allowed a small meal at dinner. I had a handful of popcorn and that was it!! Lost 12 pounds in that week. Let him know you are struggling. Best of luck.

I was told that I had to lose 10 pounds before having surgery, and that was during my 6 months of nutrition visits. I was told that a week before surgery, I was to do 3 shakes and a 380 dinner, or 4 shakes and a 230 calorie dinner and not to exceed 870 calories in a day.

I was on a 3 week skim milk diet. I was allow to drink skim milk 3 times a day as much as I can in 5-10 mins. I did great for the first week then caved, I cheated 2 times the second week and the 3rd week sucked I would do good one day and cheat the next. I also got married to days before my surgery I tried not to cheat but ate anyway. I never asked my surgeon how my liver looked but I did lose 18lbs in those 3 weeks so hopefully my liver was small enough. If I was you I would totally stick to your pre-op diet the next few days. You don't want your doc to make you reschedule. That would suck. Good luck.

I was on full liquids a week before surgery and did not cheat because I knew it was important for the liver to shrink... then cl liquids the day before.. I did not have a fatty liver and everything went well.. call your doc and tell him.. and he would be able to tell you if things will be ok.. prolly so cuz my hubby cheated before his..and his liver was ok.. but that was him..everyone is different.

Thanks everyone! This is so hard but I'm so excited for Tuesday...thanks for the words of encouragement :)

Thanks everyone! This is so hard but I'm so excited for Tuesday...thanks for the words of encouragement :)

just do the best you can!

Hello everyone' date=' thanks in advance for your help...I'm getting sleeved on Tuesday. I'm supposed to have been on an all liquid diet for 2 weeks now...nothing but carnation instant bfast and sf popsicles. I have cheated several times, I've lost about 4 lb and am starving! I'm scared that my liver won't shrink enough and surgeon will get in there and see my liver and not do the surgery...I'm 5'4 and weigh 240....did anyone else cheat on their liquid diet and what happened come surgery day?[/quote']

If you get back on track tomorrow, you will be fine! You can do this!!!

Not always. My liver was the size it wad supposed to be. He palpated it and i had tests done. That is why I didnt have to do a preop diet.