Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm 9 weeks post op, down 46 lbs but still want anything and everything white. bread, crackers, potatoes, french fries, rice, etc. And I've tested my sleeve with these things and to be honest have gone over board at times. I dont think I will ever get over this addiction. Anyone found an amazing substitution for carbs yet? I've stopped buying bread and potatoes and that has helped but I want them so bad. I'm also fighting some massive stomach acid which makes me feel hungry even when I'm not. And eating carbs is the only thing that makes it subside. Protein Shakes and liquids only make it worse. I'm already taking an Rx twice daily for acid but it doesn't seem to affect it. I feel lost and confused and I am so close to onderland but can't seem to actually get there. I float back and forth from 201-207. Damn those tasty carbs.

Totally quit carbs . When I eat carbs (protein bar) my weight slows down. Just like an alcoholic I know if I go back there it's a slippery slope that got me to the point of having this surgery. Drink more fluids that will help the acid. Sometimes I think we sabotage ourselves without knowing we are even doing it.

I'm 9 weeks post op' date=' down 46 lbs but still want anything and everything white. bread, crackers, potatoes, french fries, rice, etc. And I've tested my sleeve with these things and to be honest have gone over board at times. I dont think I will ever get over this addiction. Anyone found an amazing substitution for carbs yet? I've stopped buying bread and potatoes and that has helped but I want them so bad. I'm also fighting some massive stomach acid which makes me feel hungry even when I'm not. And eating carbs is the only thing that makes it subside. Protein shakes and liquids only make it worse. I'm already taking an Rx twice daily for acid but it doesn't seem to affect it. I feel lost and confused and I am so close to onderland but can't seem to actually get there. I float back and forth from 201-207. Damn those tasty carbs.[/quote']

It is super hard because it seems that everything is made with carbs- I feel your pain ! I've just been sticking with produce chicken and tuna lol. I can live of that bc anything was I Better than the puree stage

I'm 9 weeks post op' date=' down 46 lbs but still want anything and everything white. bread, crackers, potatoes, french fries, rice, etc. And I've tested my sleeve with these things and to be honest have gone over board at times. I dont think I will ever get over this addiction. Anyone found an amazing substitution for carbs yet? I've stopped buying bread and potatoes and that has helped but I want them so bad. I'm also fighting some massive stomach acid which makes me feel hungry even when I'm not. And eating carbs is the only thing that makes it subside. Protein shakes and liquids only make it worse. I'm already taking an Rx twice daily for acid but it doesn't seem to affect it. I feel lost and confused and I am so close to onderland but can't seem to actually get there. I float back and forth from 201-207. Damn those tasty carbs.[/quote']

Yes, you CAN! (Beat the addiction) it's not easy and no I have never found anything that tastes as good as white bread. You try to take my Saturday grilled cheese away I will cut you. BUT it is possible to fight the urges. At first I went cold turkey. Christmas was hard I ❤ Cookies and baked 100 dozen. Probably ate 2. (Or 3 I quit counting) then I added veggies back, then some fruit. I try to stay away from the "refined" sugars. You know the sugar all the good stuff is made with. I can't do super low carb for long periods, I do 5-6 hours of cardio a week I feel like poo if I don't have bananas or apples. Just try to fight the good fight is all the advise I can give you

Be careful with it - sometimes stopping carbs completely makes you even more sensitive to them if you do eat them, affecting your blood sugar and setting off a binge. It can also cause that feeling of deprivation that makes sticking to your program difficult.

I think the best thing to do isn't eliminate them, but rather change them into better carb options. White breads, white sugar, etc. are addicting for many people and cause issues. But we NEED some carbs to be healthy and many women seem to have a real problem sustaining low carb diets long term AND feeling healthy (mentally and physically) while they do it. Everyone is different and we all have to tailor our diets to our bodies. For me, incorporating some healthy grains and veggies at every meal helps me feel satisfied and leaves me plenty of room for my Protein, too. Since I started this more balanced approach around nine months post op, I've found that I feel more "in control" of my desires to eat and the urge to just binge or graze all day is, for the most part, gone.

The issue here sounds more like tackling bad food habits like grazing, binges or emotional eating could also shoulder some part of the blame. Breaking those habits is difficult for many of us but it is possible if you can address the causes. Certainly you could have trigger foods but if you're dealing with emotions through food you can try to work on that, too.

Honestly? The first thing I'd do is address the prescription. It's your body and your choice - I'd make it clear to your doc that what you're on isn't cutting it and you need to try something new. I rediscovered the joys of acid reflux when I got pregnant and went through the same phase you're talking about here. I felt hungry all the time, I was miserable, I wanted to snack and I craved carbs constantly. For me it was as simple as getting back onto my PPI (after eventually realizing acid was the issue, DUH) and then tackling the head hunger part of the equation once that was under control.

You may find that you have a much smaller issue to deal with once the acid is adequately controlled, so I'd start there.

Best of luck,

~Cheri

I track everything on mfp and before input anything in my mouth I ask myself if I want to record it..... I have been able to stay under 10 carbs a day for 3 weeks now and feel pretty good most of the time. If I get tired I drink a little 5 hour energy and it does the trick. The first few days of low carbs were hard, but my doc wanted me to lose 28 pounds in 30 days, so I had to figure out how to do it and cutting carbs has done it for me. I only eat shrimp, egg whites, lunch meats and beef Jerky. Pretty boring, but list 13 pounds in 2 weeks :-). I am at 9.5 weeks, sleeved 12/26

Wow! You are dedicated. My hat is off to you. When I ate 10grams of carbs or less, my brain stopped working. My NUT told me to just stay below 40. If I get 25, I am fine so I try to stick to that.

I track everything on mfp and before input anything in my mouth I ask myself if I want to record it..... I have been able to stay under 10 carbs a day for 3 weeks now and feel pretty good most of the time. If I get tired I drink a little 5 hour energy and it does the trick. The first few days of low carbs were hard, but my doc wanted me to lose 28 pounds in 30 days, so I had to figure out how to do it and cutting carbs has done it for me. I only eat shrimp, egg whites, lunch meats and beef Jerky. Pretty boring, but list 13 pounds in 2 weeks :-). I am at 9.5 weeks, sleeved 12/26

Wow! You are dedicated. My hat is off to you. When I ate 10grams of carbs or less' date=' my brain stopped working. My NUT told me to just stay below 40. If I get 25, I am fine so I try to stick to that.

[/quote']

You could try a healthy alternative like energy squares from nuts.com. There are many different flavors, but I like chocolate paradise. They are about the size of dice and are loaded with many different nuts. I like to eat them before running, but they are also good as a regular "good carb" snack.< /p>

Thanks. When I can have nuts again, I will look for that. Right now my carbs are coming from veggies and the occasional bit of fruit or cracker. I am just impressed at how few carbs she can function on. I was having serious concerns my first couple of weeks about being able to go back to work. I was drinking only shakes and Water during that time with some herbal tea and sf Popsicles. My brain just shut down. I am a trial attorney and I cannot just stand in court with my mouth gaping open because I cannot remember what I was going to say. When I moved to softs, I upped my carbs by 5 grams a day until I hit 25. As I said above, I also asked the NUT who said anything below 40 is good and to make sure it is not refined sugar carbs.

You could try a healthy alternative like energy squares from nuts.com. There are many different flavors, but I like chocolate paradise. They are about the size of dice and are loaded with many different nuts. I like to eat them before running, but they are also good as a regular "good carb" snack.< /p>

I'm pre op and also addicted to carbs, fat and auger. I find if I can stop eating them for 2-3 days then the cravings stop. Eating dense Protein helps. Like an alcoholic as soon as I have a small carb or fat item I just lose the plot and can't stop eating more and more.