Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can i just tell my job that I'm having an emergency appendectomy?

I really don't want them to know im having WLS!

I personally wouldn't lie, but that's me. I wouldn't offer the details either. You could just say you are going in from some surgery and leave it at that. Unless they have to sign off on your insurance or FMLA leave, I wouldn't think you would have to divulge the reason for your surgery.

I didn't tell anyone other than my immediate family. No need to tell work anything unless you're limited to specific work because of the surgery

If you have to tell them something, you can always just say your doctor is treating your for stomach problems and leave it at that. My aunt had gastric surgery for cancer, so there are lots of reasons for stomach surgery.

You do not need to disclose what type of surgery you are having and they are not allowed to ask. I simply said I was going out for surgery and how much time I needed.

If you work in the US, you don't have to tell them anything other than medical procedure. If they poke and prod, inform them they're in violation of hepa laws and that whatever procedure you're having will not effect your work ability.

I jus said I was getting my tubes tired,jus didn't want everyone in my business,my opinion jus didn't want to hear all the negative feed back,you not scared why you wanna do that you can workout.....Blah Blah Blah..they would starting to sound like Charlie Brown,

How many days were you all out?

I told my HR that I was going in for a surgery and would be back in a week. I had the PTO, so it wasn't a problem. They are smart enough not to ask any more details.

If a supervisor, manager, co-worker ... whatever ... asks you more, just say, "If you need any more detail, HR can assist us with whatever you need. Thanks!"

I'm taking two weeks off,my surgery is Monday,Dr.said I can return in a week because its not major this is jus a minor surgery jus plenty of gas.....Good Luck

Tell your surgeon when you are doing your Leave of Absence paperwork that you do not want to let your work know the specific procedure you are having. I am in the same position as you and my surgeon said that they will do the paperwork as "abdominal surgery" and that is sufficient. The time off of work is minimal, and just dont give them any more information than they need. If they ask, say that it is personal and not appropriate to discuss with anyone other than your physician or immediate family. And yes it is illegal for them to ask due to HIPAA (Health Information Portability and Accountability Act). Good luck and focus on what is important.

You "can" tell them anything you want. However if you worked for me, I would figure it out when you miraculously started dropping weight. I would consider the fact that you lied to me to be an integrity issue, and it would definitely affect my decision when it came time for your next evaluation or advancement.

Sorry to say it, but, I don't trust people who can't bring themselves to trust other people.

I can understand not wanting them to know, but I wouldn't lie, and especially not about a specific procedure... but even more so, not about an emergency procedure. You also have to consider that your next issue will likely (and hopefully be), "wow, what did you do to lose so much weight?" So you might want to be prepared for that as well, and those who might put two and two together as so many people now know someone who has gone through WLS.

I would simply tell people that you are having surgery and leave it at that. The other posters are correct in that you have no obligation to provide further information, and by providing false information, you might put yourself in a bind. Lying is rarely the best route though. :)

I am very private person by nature. My dr stated stomach surgery. I was out for two weeks.

You can say it's hernia repair, many of us have that fixed during surgery anyway. I know they can't legally ask...but I also know many of us feel funny saying "you can't ask me that, your violating my rights!" it's just easier to tell a white lie sometimes! May not be right...but it is what it is!