Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How many of you recent sleevers are hungry?

The NUT said that we wouldnt be hungry at all after surgery for the first couple weeks...after reading some of your posts Im wondering how true that really is..I know their is head hunger and you have to seperate that from real hunger

I am wondering if its the rule or the exception to feel hungry and deprived after surgery.

I will be honest Im being sleeved in 48 hours and I and I want to know what to expect.

You really won't be hungry for a few weeks....at least that was my experience and my hubby's and several other friends I know.

You will get hungry, but you will learn to differentiate between true hunger, head hunger and the difference between true hunger and thirst.

Good luck! You will do great!

I just posted this reply in another forum, so I copied and pasted..

I was sleeved on 1/2 and I felt hungry all the time as well. I thought it was just me until I found this forum (thank goodness) and then realized that everyone is different. My hunger has really not gone away, so I eat when I am hungry and keep my calories per day between 800 and 900 a day (as per my nut). I have learned tho, that Protein will full me up quickly, which works out perfect, so I make sure I get lots of protein's in, and I stay away from most carbs. I usually eat about six small meals a day. I am down about 36 pounds, and happy with my results so far.. I use the app 'Lose it" to track my calories.. So eat when you are hungry, its the choices of food that will matter the most..

Thanks I have pretty much got to the root of my biggest fear with this surgery, and that is that I will be strarving all the time with a stomach the size of a ball point pen. Cant think of a worse way to go..

I was sleeved 2/10. I really didn't get hungry for the first few weeks. Now...I eat two oz of cream of wheat before I go to work. Around 11:30 or 12 I do feel hungry but it is never as stong as before. I can always pop a little Protein in (a few bites of cheese, Protein Bar etc) and be fine till lunch around 1pm. You fill up pretty quick...it really is differant. Good luck

I am 5 days post op and I only eat because I have to. I do get thirsty but I have yet to be hungry. It is surreal.

Thanks I have pretty much got to the root of my biggest fear with this surgery, and that is that I will be strarving all the time with a stomach the size of a ball point pen. Cant think of a worse way to go..

I have the same fear! I think it won't work and I will constantly be hungry. I'm already preparing for gastric bypass if this doesn't work! I am about a month away from surgery. I think I'm just scared of making a huge change. Thank for voicing your fear. I'm not alone! LOL!

Jacee.. "ball point pen" lol. That was my biggest fear as well, my dr told me I should not be hungry, but that was not to be. So I have learned to eat the right foods staying within my calories. And with the size of our stomach's we can't get very much in and really do feel full . I do not feel deprived at all.

I was sleeved last week 2/20 and I had the same fear . Really you are not hungry. U have to listen to ur body . The brain does not notice that you are eating for about 15 mins . This I why they say eat slow. Once u are sleeved come back to this thread so we can give you some different ideas as to what to eat to change it up and of course for support. Also buy gas x strips. I read a whole back that you get this pain I'm your left shoulder an u have to walk it off and take that. OMG it was a life saver.. Goodluck

I'm seven weeks out and still don't get hungry. I have to remind myself to eat.

Yes my Dr. said the same things. You will learn to listen to your body. I am 6 1/2 weeks out and I get really hungry if I go to long in between meal. But the crazy part is, you can be famished, but after 2oz you feel stuffed! Its crazy how the sleeve is such an awesome tool. It does boil down to choices. Do you want 2oz of protien or 2oz of chocolate or junk. You are gonna be hungry for real good food, and your cravings will slowly go away. you are'nt gonna want to waste what little food you can eat on something unhealthy. Good luck:)

I am almost 3 months post op and I still never get hungry. Good luck!!!

I am three weeks out. For the first couple of weeks I had no hunger at all. Within the last week, I get some sensation in my belly that I associate with waiting too long to eat. It does not feel like hunger as I remember it. It is sort of a hollow feeling but not insistent like the old hunger. Just a signal that I need to eat. And then, 2oz is all it takes to fill me up. Since I am eating to reach Protein goals right now, I choose things like cottage cheese, a boiled egg or some deli chicken. I will occasionally throw in two pretzel sticks or a saltine cracker. I miss the crunch. If I want something sweet, I have a SF popsicle. food right now is really just a means to get to the protein goal end. I predict you will feel much the same way.

I am a believer once again! I will be able to conquer hunger! Thanks for everyone's testimonials!

I was sleeved on 2/19 and no real hunger yet. My wife and I schedule my meals so I get in my daily amount of Proteins.< /p>