Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Graveyard Shift/ Awkward sleep hours

I have tried searching for someone that has posted on something such as this, but have had no success.

I work from 1800- 0600 most days. Once I am off from work, I sleep until 10 and then go to school and return back home around 3ish. I then take a nap until approximately 1700. So on 2 days I average about 5 hours of broken sleep and on my other days I am in class I awake before 12. I try and space my meals and Snacks out while I am in class and at work (feels like I am eating all day).

So my question is, has anyone notice or read anything about experiencing a slower weightloss due to your work/ sleep schedule? How do you plan or space out your meals? What are your on the go Snacks?

I do not have a NUT, so I can't refer to them.

Thank you in advance!

That's so coincidental that you should post this--I just posted that I think I see a better weight loss when I get enough rest/sleep (I have some stressful issues going on right now that have prevented me from sleeping well but I've been taking something to help me sleep the past few days). There are a lot of studies in the medical literature right now about the importance of getting enough sleep for disease prevention and to prevent weight gain--so I think it would follow that it's needed for weight loss too. It sounds like you have a really busy schedule and there's not much you can do about it now--but I would say just get the most rest/sleep you can whenever you can. It sounds like you are being very good with your meal planning. Does this leave you any time to exercise?

I didn't notice the weight gain until I started back to work.

I did forget to add the exercising in their. I work out on the days I have less hours to be at school... Doing cardio so far and looking for a private personal trainer that doesnt charge so much. I am about to be 3 weeks out..

I have read where people who work a night shift, gain weight over time. Since it's against our bodies natural clock to sleep during the day, they may not rest as well. Our bodies use sleep time, to heal and restore. Slower weight loss sounds reasonable to me.

I also work the midnight shift, and average between 6-7 hrs of sleep during the week. On the week-end, I switch back to days and sleep 8-9 hrs. I might mention that after ten years of this shift I had packed on 75 lbs to my 5'3 frame. Happy to report since my VSG I've lost 76 lbs.

I take plenty of healthy Snacks with me, and don't eat out of the vending machines anymore. I take things like almonds, fruit, skinny cow cheese and multi grain snack crackers, Protein shakes, and Protein Bars. I try to have a snack or Protein Drink every 3 hrs or so, works for me.

I have read where people who work a night shift, gain weight over time. Since it's against our bodies natural clock to sleep during the day, they may not rest as well. Our bodies use sleep time, to heal and restore. Slower weight loss sounds reasonable to me.

I also work the midnight shift, and average between 6-7 hrs of sleep during the week. On the week-end, I switch back to days and sleep 8-9 hrs. I might mention that after ten years of this shift I had packed on 75 lbs to my 5'3 frame. Happy to report since my VSG I've lost 76 lbs.

I take plenty of healthy Snacks with me, and don't eat out of the vending machines anymore. I take things like almonds, fruit, skinny cow cheese and multi grain snack crackers, Protein shakes, and Protein Bars. I try to have a snack or Protein Drink every 3 hrs or so, works for me.

Congratulations on your weightloss!

That's what I don't understand. If my night is another's day and vice versa, why should it make a difference? If I were in Hawaii (I use to live their) or Alaska... The night/ days are completely different from the mainland. But like another poster mention and you, we definitely need our sleep... I am just not getting enough.

One of my healthy Snacks have been to have mixed peppers with guacamole and salsa. Mmm

I may just have to work extra hard.