Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Day 2, feel fine but worried about restriction

Had surgery on February 19th. I feel great but I think I am having restriction issue. I can keep everything down with no problem. I feel like I am waiting for something to happen. Is this normal?

How much are you able to drink at one time?

liquid is very easy for a lot of people post op..

Some would say its a blessing. It helps with keeping yourself hydrated.

Can you tell us what your taking in?

That's great that you are keeping things down!

The goal is not to eat until you hurt or throw up!

That's why measuring is so important. because you won't "feel" anything this early out in you surgery. When you heal a bit more and start dense Protein you will feel the restriction!

surgery 11-13-12 sw 225 cw 187

Yes it's normal...I had absolutely no problems keeping anything down. I was downing my Protein Shakes and any other liquid I could drink. You won't really feel true restriction until youre on solids.

Today

Bariatric Vitamins

Bariatric shake 8oz. X2

Cream of chicken Soup 4oz.

64 oz Water

1 cup of sugarfree Jello pudding

1 popsicle sugarfree

Sounds like perfection!!!

Good job!!!

I didn't feel much restriction until I started eating solids (chicken breast).

Wow that's wonderful. I have had problems getting anything down since my surgery! I think you will start to feel more restriction as you go through your different stages. Good luck!

I think you are doing quite well. 2 days out I was still only doing liquids.< /p>

Had surgery on February 19th. I feel great but I think I am having restriction issue. I can keep everything down with no problem. I feel like I am waiting for something to happen. Is this normal?

IT WILL COME.. I was just like you but boy was i wrong!

I was sleeved 1/30. I felt no restriction but was careful not to drink too much since our tummy is pretty numb the first few weeks and can be injured. Meds, Water, etc went down fine. I started soft foods after 3 weeks. First was a soft scrambled egg. Little bites and only 2 oz which was not a whole egg. No problems and had no feelings of being stuffed, no feelings of fullness... Really no feeling at all. Next day i added, as directed, 1 oz of soft baked tilapia first, then 1 oz of boiled to mush green beans... Same thing.. No feeling, other than.. Yum that was good and glad it all sat on my stomach wel, but damn, that went down too easil..what the hey!

Then comes yesterday! About 4 pm i put a piece of salmon in foil and soft cooked it.. Measured out 2 oz and began my 20minute nibble/chew to liquid process. Before i could eat it all.. Probably 15 minutes out, i was hit with an OMG there it is feeling! I was stuffed, uncomfortable and scared that i had stuffed my esophagus and stomach to overfull and would have problems. I was miserable for a good 45 min but finally felt better. This was the first dense Protein i had eaten and i do have good restriction. I now need to protect it! Once I am a little further out, i will be adding chicken and beef and those dense Proteins will be eaten first. I know, very clearly, that other proteins, the soft ones, tend to move on through easily, but those dense choices will get that good seal in the bottom of my stomach i have been waiting for!

This was really huge for me... I had read and read, over and over to be patient, that the restriction would be there with the return to dense proteins...AND to not over do it! And what did i do? Over did it! I think my history of failure reared its ugly head and made me doubt how well i would do with the sleeve because at 3 weeks down the road, i had done every tiny thing asked of me and even with tilapia and green Beans, regular food, i could eat/ drink very close to the way i had been preop. Please believe those vets that post and say you will feel the restriction because you will!

Take this time to walk more, rest more and learn about you and do not spend any time with worry about restriction! Plan to take the few weeks needed to heal well and then always follow the rules... Dense protein first!

So much good information on this post! Thank-You sleevers. I will be following you!

ps my doctor gave me Capsules to swallow= multi vits..... wonder how I am supposed to swallow that 1st week post- op?

So much good information on this post! Thank-You sleevers. I will be following you!

ps my doctor gave me Capsules to swallow= multi vits..... wonder how I am supposed to swallow that 1st week post- op?

I find that capsules get stuck but I try to use mind over matter to force it down with Water. And then I try to tell myself that its not really stuck in my esophagus, its in my imagination. After a couple sips of Water and not thinking about it....I feel fine. Good luck.

You might want to grab flintstones complete chewables and take them until you are further out then go back to the capsules. I had to try several to find what worked.

You're doing great!

I too had no problems keeping anything down. And like many have said, restriction comes with solids.

Hang in there!