Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Tell me about the first few months?

I am leaving for mx in 8 days and somehow I was never concerned about this until tonight.

I wanna hear about the psychological side of things. What was it like for you?

Well it can be emotional real emotional if you love to eat before and you have a family you cooking for I cried at least 3 times I'm a month out and feel so much better as long as you have support you'll do great

Well it can be emotional real emotional if you love to eat before and you have a family you cooking for I cried at least 3 times I'm a month out and feel so much better as long as you have support you'll do great

Thanks for replying. I was starting to think Noone would.

I'm the cook in my family, actually, maybe I should just make nasty foods. Rofl. Kidding.

I really think I'll be okay. It's just food, yanno?

It's easy now cause u have choice to eat or not to eat but after surgery it's you can't eat u just can't until u heal but it get so much better once u can

Head hunger was the most emotional thing for me to deal with... and because you can only take a couple of bites of things... I struggled with wanting to eat more or finishing something, I wasn' t hungry, it was just the fact of mind over matter I suppose. But I'm about 4 months out now and can eat pretty much whatever I want... however I choose what goes in my mouth and make good decisions.

I too am the cook in the family... and that part is actually not bad at all. I kind of enjoy cooking more now than before and don't really have the urge to indulge... I just take my little portion of whatever I made and it's all good. :)

Just take one day at a time... :)

Everyone's experience is different. For me, I was never emotional about not being able to eat. After all, that is the reason I got the surgery! But it is common to be sad about not being able to eat more.

I felt like I was in a weird haze for the first month. Like, is this all really happening? Did I really get this surgery? Along with feeling kind of lost because I wasn't eating, what should I do? If that makes sense. After the first month, I felt back to normal. The hardest part is learning the amount of food you can eat. Sometimes my eyes are still bigger than my stomach!

Very Interesting and valuable info. I was curious about the same thing. Surgery date 3/8. Getting nervous and curious about how I'll feel afterward.

Stephanie

I have always loved to cook and now, I am just switching it to being creative in my cooking by using things I am allowed to have and lots of spices and herbs. Sometimes even my husband likes what I have made and doesn't realize it has "my ingredients" in it. Other times, I fix something special just for him. Now that I am 8 weeks out, I can pretty much eat anything except potatoes, breads, rice. I haven't tried steak yet but I plan to eat a small portion this weekend. I am eating about 4-5 ounces per meal (3 meals, 1 snack per day).

I agree with everything everyone said. What I would recommend is acknowledging you will have the first month be emotional (whether you're mourning the loss of food, a body part, freedom to eat, hormones out of whack, exhaustion, dehydration). Expect to have some emotional feelings of overwhelmingness and if you don't, great! But remind yourself this is normal and it will pass! You are losing a huge part of a major organ... That's a loss your mind and body have to accept with time. After about 4 weeks I felt back to normal and working out only made my mood better!!! I Zumba, swim and run and I sleep better than ever! I'm only 6 weeks out and not too long ago I was where you will be. I had no libido for 2weeks and thought it ruined my sex drive. No!!! My body was just healing!!!

Please take care of yourself and listen to your body. sleep if you need a nap! Drink if you need it! Take little trips out. Don't overdo it but don't stay locked up either (I obsessed with what I couldn't eat when I wasn't busy). You will feel great in no time! Month 2 is exciting! You can do it!!!!!

Well as you know a lot of people wake up and at some point wonder "what the hell did I do to myself"

I would say the first few weeks you will be mainly focused on healing and trying to feel better. In those weeks I let my family cook for them selves. I made sure we were stocked up on easy things and things I pre made..

Now on to the emotional part....wow where to start! So many emotions even three months out.

I am so happy I did this, but its not easy everyday. We are, a lot of us emotional eaters. And though I've been through YEARS of counseling and have uncovered why I do it and tried to work on it, it is still hard for me some days. I can easily go a whole day without "wanting" to eat. But I have days for whatever reason ( stress,Pms, parties) that I just for a little while I want to eat like I used to. I want to eat to excess and enjoy the process..

Eating for me anyways is not "fun" or comfortable much anymore. Many people say they still enjoy it but I haven't experienced that yet. I have times where I think that I should just try a little of the foods that got me here ( high carb) yummy type foods but the thought that some if these are "slider" foods and go down much easier than Protein scare me so I stay away . It is sometimes a mind f**king experience. Now this does not rule my daily life but it is part of the emotional side for me..

Edit this app sucks sometimes it cut me off midway through this post! Oh well I'm long winded anyways:)

I agree with everything everyone said. What I would recommend is acknowledging you will have the first month be emotional (whether you're mourning the loss of food' date=' a body part, freedom to eat, hormones out of whack, exhaustion, dehydration). Expect to have some emotional feelings of overwhelmingness and if you don't, great! But remind yourself this is normal and it will pass! You are losing a huge part of a major organ... That's a loss your mind and body have to accept with time. After about 4 weeks I felt back to normal and working out only made my mood better!!! I Zumba, swim and run and I sleep better than ever! I'm only 6 weeks out and not too long ago I was where you will be. I had no libido for 2weeks and thought it ruined my sex drive. No!!! My body was just healing!!!

Please take care of yourself and listen to your body. sleep if you need a nap! Drink if you need it! Take little trips out. Don't overdo it but don't stay locked up either (I obsessed with what I couldn't eat when I wasn't busy). You will feel great in no time! Month 2 is exciting! You can do it!!!!![/quote']

Well said

Well as you know a lot if people wake up and at some point wonder "what the hell did I do to myself"

I would say the first few weeks you will be mainly focused on healing and trying to feel better. In those weeks I let my family cook for them selves. I made sure we were stocked up on easy things and things I pre made..

Now on to the emotional part....wow where to start! So many emotions even three months out.

I am so happy I did this' date=' but its not easy everyday. We are, a lot of us emotional eaters. And though I've been through YEARS of counseling and have uncovered why I do it and tried to work on it, it is still hard for me some days. I can easily go a whole day without "wanting" to eat. But I have days for whatever reason ( stress,Pms, parties) that I just for a little while I want to eat like I used to. I want to eat to excess and enjoy the process..

Eating for me anyways is not "fun" or comfortable much anymore. Many people say they still enjoy it but I haven't experienced that yet. I have times where I think that I should just try a little of the foods that got me here ( high carb

[/quote']

This reminded me of myself on valentines day my friend invited me to house of sea food she's knows I don't eat that much but I guess to be polite thats like my favorite place all kinds of sea food and steak omg for a second I wished I could have went its all you can eat $25 dollars a person I couldn't go cause its not worth it for me but boi did I want to

I sometimes still wonder what the hell did I do to myself. It's crazy if you really think about it. 85% of your stomach is gone for good. I still wish I could have seen it.

I may still be in disbelief sometimes, but my scale is thankful. I feel more confident overall. I am shy and introverted mostly due to my weight. And now that over 50 pounds has come off, my clothes fit better(all are too big but shhhhh....), and I can say that I know I look AMAZING every time I walk out of my house. It is helping me to really come out of my shell and be happy for myself. I find it easy to walk and exercise which in turn helps me so it is a win win overall.

I have mourned food though. There are many times where I can barely nibble on things and be done. I sometimes wish that I could just slam down a large pepperoni pizza again, but I just grab my 2oz portion of grilled chicken and realize that I shouldn't think that way.

You'll have a new relationship with food. Where I use to love salty fried foods, I find myself enjoying grilled chicken and meat a lot more now. I will confess that I have had fries from McDonalds. 3 to be exact. I found myself craving it, had my 3 fries, and that was it. I didn't feel like I use to, out of control. 3 fries were more than enough for me. And surprisingly, it's not something I'd go out of my way for. I prefer my simple home cooked meals better :D and believe me, being sleeved has taught me how to cook.

This has been my first decision I have made 100% for myself. no one else mattered but me. I find myself very thankful for being sleeved and looking forward to the future :)

Yeah I was thinking that to did I really do it did I but I had to make a trip to the ER because I ate something that didnt agree w my stomach ( cheddar broccoli Soup ) but any way they ran all kinds of test plus a leak test I ask to see my stomach and the doc showed me on the screen explain how my fluids go down and everything I had a tiny stomach I was in disbelief how small it was but I'm definitely sleeved

Can't keep my mouth shut! So l will finish now....

There are really great emotions too! The weight loss is obviously part of it. Being able to "normally" fit into the world is a perk.

I don't have the stress that I used to have leaving the house and I am actually looking forward to the trips we have planned this summer.

I wanted you to know this Amy, this surgery is the closest we are going to get to a "miracle cure" but it still a road that is difficult to travel some days.

But I have hope that I will learn and be successful in my new life.

Laura