Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have read alot of good things that come of this But whats the bad if any?

I find that the worse thing for me is that I have no urge to be creative in meal making so I end up eating the same thing everyday. I know that is my own fault, but it still sucks. I eat eggs and spinach for Breakfast, tuna and carrots for lunch, and chicken or beef with some kind of green for supper. If my husband and I go out to eat, I get that old excitement that I used to get about eating all the food I can, and then I have a little bout of depression realizing that I can't and that I have to have grilled chicken, or a salad because while I could eat all of things that are bad for you, I don't want to fall back into those habits.

So yeah, I guess the biggest negative for me is that I feel stunted in what I can eat. I do splurge every once in a while and get the burger that looked good and eat half of it or a slice of pizza, but for the most part it's the same thing everyday.

Good day...I am 14 months out and many "cons" I've read here do pass with time. You become very routined about not drinking with meals, it becomes easier to go out and eat, just ask for a container immediately and put the food you'll be taking home away and out of sight. I am not perfect, do eat not so healthy foods, but try to do a little extra exercise or drink a Protein drink for a meal so I can have that piece of cake or things I just crave. Now the scariest part of this journey is ahead of me. Maintenance I met goal in Dec one year out, but already feel that I have to be far more conscience of what I'm putting in my mouth because I CAN eat more, I CAN eat everything I want without issues and I find that I even now have to be careful NOT to graze. I always had issues not knowing the difference between thirst and hunger. Well that came back too. I also have far more cravings for things of my past.

I was eating the same things all the time for awhile because it was easy. Now I find I'm better and cook things ahead. I bought a bunch of 1 cup containers and as I cook meals I always put one aside and in some cases several aside in the freezer. I will cook an entire crock pot full of chicken tenders in my favorite seasons or cream of chicken Soup, or meatballs, etc and divide that into several little freezer meals. I also make chili, shepherds pie, taco meat etc and freeze that too. I actually find it interesting that what I used to either scrap into the trash or just shovel into my mouth before putting the pan into the dish washer after meals is now what I eat for lunch. I will grab one of these containers out of the freezer and bring along a steam vegetable bag to work on Monday and can eat off of the vegetables all week, just changing out the meat variety. I love McDonald's select chicken. I will buy a 10 piece, divide that into 5 snack bags and throw that into the freezer. The thing that works best is that I always have food available and quickly so I don't just eat something I shouldn't. I fortunately have a toaster oven and a microwave at work.

My physician told me that the people that do the best with maintenance are the ones who always measure their food and eat on a bread and butter plate. Never waver from these two things and I will be successful.

The sleeve is just a tool and you have to remember not to become complacent when using it, just like any other dangerous equipment.

I have accomplished all that I set out to do. I no longer take blood pressure, cholesterol or acid reflux medications. I also am cured of Migraines, an unexpected miracle.

The biggest negative thing I can find so far is that I was NOT mentally prepared for the negative comments. I work in a public place and see more than 50 people a day that have been regulars for 10 years. Most I see once every 6 months to a year. Everyday I get so many negative comments about how thin I look, how hollow my face is, how I aged terrible etc. Then the next person tells me I look younger, and I too even got a "you're hot" this week . My first of that particular verbiage since I'm an old lady. The nice thing it was said by a man that is about my age and I consider him "hot" too. Overall I have been reduced to tears on certain days because 5-6 people in a row ask me if I'm sick. I honestly think they just are shocked because it's been a year since they've seen me. I think I look age appropriate, but when you get up each day at 4:30 am, work out and work hard at looking good, it is painful to hear the constant barrage of "don't lose any more weight, you're too thin, are you sick?"

When I was overweight my entire life I heard "you have such a pretty face, if you could only take off a few pounds". which I did successfully a 100 times, but failed at keeping it off. Now the wrinkles show because I always had them but they were filled in with natural fat. I am not opposed to plastics and if I ever find myself in a financial position to get it done, I will be the first in line.

I have absolutely NO REGRETS. I find it important to keep coming back here and read about others struggles to remind myself just how far I've come. I still feel like the same person. I don't even feel smaller (most people think this is weird) , it's just a little easier to cross my legs. :-)

I am only 8 (almost 9) weeks out, but what has been hardest for me has not been physical (I had no complications and apart from becoming nauseated a couple times from eating too fast, I am finding my sleeve tolerates anything), the mental part is what I am struggling with. I am having to change habits that brought me comfort (although short-lived) for 30 years. When stuffing your face was what made you happy (again, momentarily), not being able to stuff your face is a rude and unwelcome awakening. I am back to seeing my therapist to deal with this issue.

Physically, I echo what Laura-ven said- Constipation is an extremely annoying side-effect.

Good luck on whatever you decide. I have no regrets.

-Kendra

Honestly did any of you stop in your tracks one day and say to yourself..OMG most of my stomache is gone and I will never eat a real meal again...thats a fear Im having..

Yes, but for the opposite reason. I will never eat a super ginormous real meal again. I am perfectly content eating a small meal. There is zero hunger. A few oz and I feel like I've eaten the entire kitchen. Personally that's a victory. "Real" meals got me up to 315lbs.

Is the nut going to eat my food and drink my Water for me? :P

That was funny ..

Give it to me straight. We have all heard the good things the weight loss strories, the before and after pics, the fun trips shopping...but if you could say 1 bad thing anything that came of this what would it be? I am a realist and would like to be prepared for the whole story.

I haven't found any yet, perhaps the expense of having clothing tailored or purchasing new clothing. It's all good.

I am sorry to come across flippant - a GOOD nutritionalist is like a coach that can make this journey much more successful and also give a lot of tips and tricks. I was a miserable failure with the lapband and one of the many reasons is I didn't have that coach. The work is still on us, but the load is a lot lighter when you have an informed, considerate coach helping you along. I could not have lost nearly 150# in 14 months without her.

I think the responses you get from people depend on where they are in the journey. How I felt at 2 weeks, 2 months, 6 months versus now - it has been a changing story. I have different challenges now at 14 months and within a few pounds of goal. I do remember that it was hard to get on to soft and then solid food. I do remember when it seemed like taking Vitamins and drinking Water were full time jobs. That isn't forever, that is a temporary challenge. There are so many people here that can help give support to get through all that, but it is really important to remember that you won't struggle like that forever.

One thing that surprised me - I guess I just hadn't clued in to it is how much my "taste buds" changed. I used to love just plain ole Water and even now I can hardly tolerate it. Oddly, that made me sad for awhile.

then, I got thinner and didn't care anymore. :)

I am sorry to come across flippant - a GOOD nutritionalist is like a coach that can make this journey much more successful and also give a lot of tips and tricks. I was a miserable failure with the lapband and one of the many reasons is I didn't have that coach. The work is still on us' date=' but the load is a lot lighter when you have an informed, considerate coach helping you along. I could not have lost nearly 150# in 14 months without her.

I think the responses you get from people depend on where they are in the journey. How I felt at 2 weeks, 2 months, 6 months versus now - it has been a changing story. I have different challenges now at 14 months and within a few pounds of goal. I do remember that it was hard to get on to soft and then solid food. I do remember when it seemed like taking Vitamins and drinking Water were full time jobs. That isn't forever, that is a temporary challenge. There are so many people here that can help give support to get through all that, but it is really important to remember that you won't struggle like that forever.

One thing that surprised me - I guess I just hadn't clued in to it is how much my "taste buds" changed. I used to love just plain ole Water and even now I can hardly tolerate it. Oddly, that made me sad for awhile.

then, I got thinner and didn't care anymore. :)[/quote']

Thanks for that I'm 27 days out and sometimes I feel like that and water make my stomach queasy and I use to drink it all the time but I appreciate you for your encouraging words my Nut is okay but I realize I have to do what helps me she very strict she like I can't but anything in my tuna I'm like then I won't eat it so I put a dab of lite mayo she don't approve but if I'm going to eat two tsp I better enjoy it so I follow her rules but I take me into consideration as I'm doing so cause this is for life and you have to make it work for you

Thanks for that I'm 27 days out and sometimes I feel like that and Water make my stomach queasy and I use to drink it all the time but I appreciate you for your encouraging words my Nut is okay but I realize I have to do what helps me she very strict she like I can't but anything in my tuna I'm like then I won't eat it so I put a dab of lite mayo she don't approve but if I'm going to eat two tsp I better enjoy it so I follow her rules but I take me into consideration as I'm doing so cause this is for life and you have to make it work for you

I've experienced the queasiness after drinking Water also, especially in the morning. I found drinking cold water was not pleasant so I would have a large cup of hot tea in the morning to sort of warm the stomach up an it made the water more tolerable. It is much better the further out I am from the surgery .

I have had a quick and fairly painless route to goal. I'm a year out and if I decide to drink too soon after eating I feel like crap. I miss drinking ice tea with my meals. Small price to pay but didnt realize how much I'd miss it. I also don't like to talk about surgery and people ask how I lost and I tell them much smaller portions and swimming. Then they say oh you did it the hard way and my response is usually I don't know any easy way of losing almost 100#.

I have to confess that it pisses me off when people refer to this surgery as "the easy way out". And it isn't just callous people without a weight problem who say that. Even other overweight people say that. I have not yet had it said to me and I am not sure how I will react when it inevitably does.

I am 5 months out. The only problem I had was, the first week I could not keep the liquid pain med down. When my Dr. got my pain under control with a nasal pain med. It was smooth sailing from then on. I'm still testing the different foods my stomach likes now but food is not my focus any longer. I'm losing weight regularly, feel better, more energy, and not wearing plus size clothing. This is my story, and everyone's is different. I hope this helps. Blessings

I think the biggest negative for me is not being able to drink with my meals and having to wait after, a lot of times I don't want to eat because I might want something to drink! lol