Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How long until "real" food?

Hi all! I am still a newbie. My seminar isn't until 2/21. I have a question for those of you that are post-op, or even pre-op if you know the answer. Will there ever come a time when you can eat "normal" again. For example, after sleeve surgery, do we all have to avoid certain food and drink for the rest of our lives, or can we eat and drink everything we do pre-op, just much smaller quantities?? I am definitely a "foodie" (like I'm sure most of us are, that's how we got in the shape we are in LOL!), and to be honest, to have to go the rest of my life with a restricted diet is concerning and, frankly, depressing to me!! Any input from any of you is greatly appreciated! Thanks for sharing! :D

Everyone is different. Some cant tolerate certain things...then some (like me) can't eat anything I did before! The only thing I have found my new sleeve doesn't like is raw onions...I just get a little "burpy" other then that I eat what I want..just much smaller portions!

Everyone is different. Some cant tolerate certain things...then some (like me) can't eat anything I did before! The only thing I have found my new sleeve doesn't like is raw onions...I just get a little "burpy" other then that I eat what I want..just much smaller portions!

Thanks! I can tolerate smaller portions, but saying goodbye to alot of the things I love forever is scary! lol

I feel very ill (sweaty and on the verge of vomiting) after I eat ice cream or more than just a small taste of something sweet. I love this, though, because it's a great detterent! Fried foods also make me feel yucky. But I shouldn't be eating any of this anyway! :-)

Obviously, you'll want to make healthy choices, but I can eat almost anything I did before...just in much smaller quantities. I was afraid I would feel deprived after VSG, but I definitely don't!

Hi. My name is Terry and I am a foodie.

I spent way way to much time worrying about this before surgery. After surgery a lot of things that I lived for were way less interesting to me (thanks sleeve.). Desserts, bread, Pasta don't drive me. I do truly enjoy eating great foods at great places but I can easily pick good Proteins over everything else and I'm happy with a couple of bites of carbs. You won't believe it but that has been my experience. Hope that helps put your mind at ease.

Terry

As my name explains-- my sleeve likes everything still, just half as much as before!! I do naturally make healthier decisions but I can indulge from time to time with no problems!

i am a month out and haven't any yet..had my first cup of coffee today post op.....it delicious!

Wow! Congrats to all on the tremendous amount of weight you've lost, and thanks so much for the input! This does help ease my mind! Terry, you sound like me, and I'm glad to know I'm not the only one that worried about this before getting sleeved! I love carbs--esp bread! I have been doing a lot of reading, and what I do read over and over is that the things you want before the sleeve is different than what you want after. I'm sure that does help with missing the food that I love now. And that is a GREAT thing, because most of my favorite food right now (fried food, bread, Desserts, etc) are exactly the things I should never eat if I want to be healthy anyway! I'm praying the sleeve will help me with that! :)

I am only 12 days out so I have no idea what will happen with me - another foodie.

However, I have two friends who were sleeved 4 years ago. I went to visit them last November. We went to all my favorite places. I witnessed them eat lasagna and enchiladas, etc. But maybe just a couple of bites. They ate off of my plate most of the time. They have maintained their weight and it is clear that they ate foods they liked but not in the amounts they used to. I saw them eat bread once. I think they pinched off a tiny piece but they enjoyed the tiny piece. After visiting them, I had no concerns about being able to eat the things I love without fear of overeating. That being said, right now I am so unhungry that you could put a banquet in front of me and I would not be able to do more than pick at it with disinterest. That is the beauty of the sleeve.

I'm a huge foodie too, and only 2.5 weeks postop, but I'm confident that I get to join the foodie circle again soon minus the fixation on starchy carbs. I'm looking forward to ahi, carpaccio, salmon oh so many ways, and tiny bites of other things. I want to go back to fancy restaurants with tiny sleeve sized portions of amazingness and enjoy. Love to hear from other foodies!

I am 13 days out and already cleared for regular foods. ( I have to over chew). So far I've had zero issues with my sleeve. Seems to like everything. The only things it kinda acted funny on was Jello, pudding. I don't eat these things regularly so it's a non issue.

You will be able to eat again but you MUST watch your how much you eat. I read all my labels and weight and measure everything that goes in my mouth. I also watch my calories even through you suppose to eat a max of 6oz each meal, I still haven't gotten to that amount.

I can tolerate most things, but find my tastes have totally changed. bread, Pasta and anything fried make me feel awful. I steer far away, but I don't feel deprived. I love my new life and self so much it doesn't matter. I will say I wasn't really a food addict before like some. I think they struggle more than I did. I'm a year out and under goal. It's an amazing journey. Best wishes.

And no more beer or soda or anything carbonated. That is what I will miss the most.but the rest is way easy easy. I am only 13 days post op however.

And no more beer or soda or anything carbonated. That is what I will miss the most.but the rest is way easy easy. I am only 13 days post op however.

I am 18 months post op and I drink 2-3 sparkling waters per day and before I got knocked up about 3 beers per week. Its not against my surgeons guidelines I have no problems tolerating them and this has not and will not stretch my sleeve. I made goal in 9 months and maintained until now!