Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Nine Months Post-Op

Hello, I just thought I'd share a little about my journey so far.

I was sleeved 9 months ago (May, 2012) by Dr. Chris Kowalski of Kansas City Bariatrics. I'm 37 years old, female, 5'9 tall, and my pre-op weight was 342 lbs. I've lost 103 lbs. so far (currently at 239 lbs.), and still have a long way to go. I've gone from a size 28 jeans to a size 20.

My surgery was not covered by insurance, so I paid $12,000 out-of-pocket. That sounds like a lot of money, but it's an incredible investment in my health.

My surgery went quite well. I had an afternoon surgery and was up walking and released the following morning. The only memorable thing was that I had an allergic reaction to the surgical adhesives used. For a few weeks, I had a red, itchy rash all over my abdomen. It began just around the taped edges (over the surgical sites). The more I scratched, the more it spread. I became quite miserable with it, but it finally ran its course. If not for the rash, I'd say my surgery went perfectly. I had a similar reaction following a previous abdominal surgery, though not quite as bad. I believe I just have sensitive skin. Luckily, my incisions healed well and my scars are small. (My incisions were glued, no sutures used.)

The only "negative" thing I have to report following my surgery is that I have frequent diarrhea. I take loperamide almost daily to control it. This usually helps, though sometimes it doesn't. My doctor suggested it when my diarrhea didn't subside after a month. He said it isn't harmful or addictive. At my six month visit, I told him I still take it regularly. He advised that I taper off of it to allow my digestive system to regulate itself. I haven't been able to do that because I work and feel too stressed out when I have to worry about running to the bathroom nearly every time I eat. (I should note that my gallbladder was removed about 5 years before my VSG, so I did have some issues with this before. However, after the VSG, it became worse.) Overall, though, I believe this is a very minor setback compared to the great benefits of having the surgery.

I'm feeling more energy and confidence, but what makes me happiest is that I'm getting healthier. I've joined the gym and am trying to stick with it - I'm mostly just doing brisk walks several times a week to get my heart going. When I'm in better shape, I'll try more. I still struggle to make healthy food choices, but a little voice stays with me that says, "Is the taste of this really worth the calories?" I'm so thankful for that voice. The weight is still going down and I know this is what I want for myself, so I will succeed.

I receive a lot of compliments/comments on my new look. I'm sometimes surprised at the things people say. It's as though they think I'm not the same person I was before. I know they mean well, though, so I don't get upset about it. I know some people are reluctant to tell others about their surgery, but I thought it was easier to just put it out in the open. I'm glad I made that decision because I've had nothing but positive support from my family and coworkers. Sometimes, when I'm discouraged, I go to work and feel my "fan club" lifting my spirits. I've been overweight since I was a child and my self-esteem has always been low. I've looked to others for reassurance, to make myself feel better about me. This process is making all that clearer to me and is pointing out my need to feel good from the inside out, regardless of what I look like.

I think anyone going through this realizes it's not just a physical journey, but a mental one as well. And I'm happy to be evolving in both aspects.

Besides choosing my husband, this surgery is the best decision I've ever made for myself. I don't have a single regret.

Good luck to you, whereever you are on your journey.

It sounds like you are doing very well! My surgery date was 5-18-12. My starting weight was 338. I lost 50 pre-surgery & was 288 DOS. I'm also 5'7. My jeans size was a size 30 & shirt size a 30/32.

I'm currently at 195, a size 12 jeans & large tops. I do have an excessive amount of skin on my stomach. I knew that would be an issue going in tho.

It's nice to "bump into" someone with VERY similar numbers. It makes me feel better about my slow loss. (Yes, 143 pounds is a lot but 50 of that was Pre-surgery.)

Kristie

post-31248-13813663160295_thumb.jpg

post-31248-13813663160413_thumb.jpg

Thanks, Kristie - you look wonderful! Congratulations! I can't wait to get under the 200 mark. And yes, it's nice to find someone with similar numbers! :-)

Thanks' date=' Kristie - you look wonderful! Congratulations! I can't wait to get under the 200 mark. And yes, it's nice to find someone with similar numbers! :-)[/quote']

Thank you! I really struggled to get under 220. Then I struggled again (for 2-3 months!) to get from 209 into onederland. All it took was a little stomach virus to push me under. Lol.

Of course I took a picture! :)

post-31248-13813663161106_thumb.jpg

I really enjoyed reading your story. It seems as though many of us have many commonalities some which led us to the weight issues we have/had.

I applaud you for your accomplishment I hope I can do my sleeve the same justice

I'm scheduled 2/26 and find that my thoughts and feelings are all over the place at this point in time.

Keep up the great work!

It sounds like you are doing very well! My surgery date was 5-18-12. My starting weight was 338. I lost 50 pre-surgery & was 288 DOS. I'm also 5'7. My jeans size was a size 30 & shirt size a 30/32.

I'm currently at 195, a size 12 jeans & large tops. I do have an excessive amount of skin on my stomach. I knew that would be an issue going in tho.

It's nice to "bump into" someone with VERY similar numbers. It makes me feel better about my slow loss. (Yes, 143 pounds is a lot but 50 of that was Pre-surgery.)

Kristie

Hi Kristie,

Slow loss? You've lost 93 lbs in 9 months! You look awesome! Would you mind sharing what your daily menus look like now and say 6 months ago?

~Dana

I do too...i work so hard for one year,nite shifts,24 hrs,cleaning,everything ok wait not everything lol but u know what, it worth it!!!...i save 15,000 dlrs i used all it doesnt matter what paople said i used it me for my health for my my own family and im happy!! u r doing good, just keep on going!!!

Dr. Kowalski was my surgeon too! It's been 4 months since my surgery, I started @ 237 and today I'm 175. Sounds like you're doing great, keep up the good work.

great story... I am now going to talk about your bowels. I can suggest many things but try eliminating things from your diet. I know since surgery I can't have milk at all. If I do I am in the bathroom all day. EVEN a little in my coffee. I can do cheese, cottage cheese, yogurt and things like that with no issues.

Thanks everyone for your comments. I appreciate all of them. :-)

Jeannine - Good luck with your upcoming surgery! You will be glad you did it - I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

shandy - Yes! It's worth it! Glad to hear you're happy - you look great.

Chrissy - I really like Dr. Kowalski. My sister used him too, though she did the lap band. It sounds like you're doing great. Congrats to you!

Delta - That's great advice. I think milk definitely has something to do with it, though I think other foods are messing with me, too. It would be easy enough for me to cut out dairy for a while and see. Thanks for discussing my bowels! lol I love how we can be so honest here.

I just hit my 9 months on the 15th, it's been a real trip...

I've lost 108 pounds.. Started at 313 size BIG :) and now am at a size 16/18 pant n Xl or Lg shirt..

I haven't been doing much watching what I'm eating in terms of food because I figure hey 8 ounces isn't that much to be so bad, I'm sure my surgeon would not be happy.. But I do try and workout 2-3 times a week of intense boxing blast. My scale hasn't moved in a month a pound here and there but certinally slowed down it just seemed like the 100 magically came off. I'll be posting some pics on here soon, I have one of my old pictures size 32 on the fridge along with my surgeons note just to remind me to keep it in check.

I'm happy to meet people that are in my same time frame.

Rai

Rai - Yes, it is good to find people in the same time-frame and roughly the same weight. Compared to most people on here, my loss seems slow. I'm working on getting my thyroid levels under control (recently diagnosed with Hashimoto's -- hypothyroid), so maybe that will help some.

Like you, I don't obsess over it, though I am making healthier choices than before. It did feel like the first 100 came off with pretty much no effort. I feel a little guilty when people say, "Wow - look at all your hard work!" because it really wasn't work at all. My weight loss is slowing, too, as I knew it eventually would. I will go for a while with no loss, then suddenly I'm down 3 to 6 lbs. I might be slower than others, but I know I'll get there. :-)

You're doing great! Congrats to you!

Ice, trust me during my 7 months follow up I had a breakdown in the office I thought I was losing too slow also... But the doc really gave me a great pep talk, she basically said even if I stopped and never lost another pound and stayed at 220 she would never tell me I didn't do enough, she just said look at what I've gained, years on life, no diabetes and what could have been if I stayed 313 or more.. So she said really stop focusing in the number... But once in awhile I jump on the scale and yell at myself for not being down more... But then I look in the mirror and see the difference and think yeah if I stay at 205 I'd be pretty happy... It's so all mental I hate it :) I think it's really all plateau but tell my brain that...

Even with surgery if its not hard work psychically it sure is mentally.

Sorry I took so long to reply. My days are pretty consistent. I never drink anything but Water, shakes & coffee. My Protein went from 70 early on, up to 100 grams. My doctor said my workouts require more Protein. Up until 6 months out I was getting 500-600 calories with 70-90 protein. After that my dr wanted my protein higher & calories at 1000-1300. I've been working out since 6 months Pre-surgery (other than the 6 week after surgery break).

I'll post pics of my average days from MFP. (If you want to see more of my food diaries, My FitnessPal user name is KristieAtkinson, please add me!) I'm currently drinking over 100 ounces of Water daily. This has really helped my body shed some water weight I was holding.

post-31248-1381366333916_thumb.jpg

post-31248-13813663339756_thumb.jpg

post-31248-13813663340487_thumb.jpg

post-31248-13813663340973_thumb.jpg

post-31248-13813663341475_thumb.jpg

post-31248-13813663341958_thumb.jpg

post-31248-13813663342452_thumb.jpg