Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Former (or current) band folks

Hi, wanted to see if any of you had similar issues. My husband had the band put in almost 2 years ago. No issues. No great weight loss but he was a pretty low bmi to start. Not unhappy with it, but hindsight (and me being sleeved with no issues) makes him think he should have probably gone with sleeve.

3 weeks ago he was at work and got a really sudden and intense nausea. Within a matter of a few minutes, passed out. They took him to the er and all was ok with his heart and labs so they chalked it up to a fluke and sent him home.

Was doing ok, then Monday the nausea came back same as the previous time. I picked him up from work and he passed out in the car on the way home.

Went to the er and they admitted for 2 days and said heart looked fine. Not sure why it happened.

Might just be a hunch, but I feel it might be band related. They dismissed it in the hospital but I insisted they call his surgeon (at another hospital). He ordered an upper gi and according to them, band placement was fine.

They sent home today and we're seeing the surgeon tomorrow.

Just wanted to throw it out there and see if anyone had anything similar.

Sorry for the long post!

Well nothing similar but wanted to say that after having my band for 5 years, with no complications, I had a revision this past September. I don't think that you can have the band in forever and that is why I had it removed. It was the best decision I could have made to be band free.

IMO it doesn't sound to me like it is band related, your husband's issue. What did he eat? Did he over eat?

Well nothing similar but wanted to say that after having my band for 5 years' date=' with no complications, I had a revision this past September. I don't think that you can have the band in forever and that is why I had it removed. It was the best decision I could have made to be band free.

IMO it doesn't sound to me like it is band related, your husband's issue. What did he eat? Did he over eat?[/quote']

Thanks! No overeating both days usual diet (as well as every other work day) Protein shake for Breakfast, 2 for lunch. So weird. Glad the heart is checking out ok just not sure what else could be. Did say he's noticed less restriction lately. We'll see what they say tomorrow.

Hello,

I have had sudden nausea too. I didn't pass out, but no one can tell me it isn't related to the band. I hate it. I'm starting the process for a revision. I'm nervous about it, but the thought of getting rid of the band and reading about others who are happy with their revisions is giving me hope.

I have never heard of this being band related - and I would like to blame the lapband for everything! LOL

I think you should keep pursuing a diagnosis.

Yes, I've passed out many times with the band. When you said they did an upper GI are they saying the just X-rayed the upper GI or did they do an actual upper GI endoscopy procedure? Big difference.

I passed out due to sudden low blood pressure. The endoscopy showed I was bleeding from several ulcerated areas from my throat to just beyond my band.

Make them check out every angle and area to rule issues out

Hopefully it's not band related, but hopefully he's finds the cause ASAP

Good luck

thank you all for your input, really appreciate it! band surgeon said he pretty much guarantees its not band related. offered endoscope (just had upper gi xrays in hospital), but thought in his experience it would be a waste of time. hes pretty renowned so didnt think worth pursuing. although after reading your comment ms. Antiband, im wondering...Did you have any other symptoms if you dont mind me asking (low blood counts)? all of his lab work, stress test and echocardiogram are normal, has a 30 day heart monitor on now. feels fine now, but we're scared it's going to happen again! with 3 small kids, it's especially nerve wracking! thank you all again!

At first my tests were fine, but it just kept getting worse. Just don't ignore any sign regardless of what's causing them.

I personally should never have had the band because I have a history of ulcers. Never bleeding until the band.

Chances are your husbands symptoms aren't band related, especially if the dr confirms that they aren't. BUT if things don't improve then insist on more testing.

I was banded for 2 years and had to have a sleeve in January. It was done as an emergency surgery and I didn't know if I would be coming out with the sleeve or just removing the band. I never had nausea but I had vomiting and not the productive burping that everyone talks about. I thought it was productive burping though. My band had probably been prolapsed for a year. When I finally sought help my entire stomach was prolapsed though the band and it was cutting off supply. My stomach was bleeding and dieing off. My labs were ridiculously out of whack and I had to have 2 units of blood. My surgeon has no idea how I made it as long as I did or without major symptoms like esophageal ulcers and passing out. The sleeve has been so easy and low maintenance. I wish I had know. About the sleeve 2 years ago and just done it from the beginning.

I'm sorry you guys are going through this. I had the band for almost five years before my revision in Feb. I never had the passing out that you describe, but I've had other ailments over the years that could never be attributed to any one diagnosis, but I'm convinced they were band related. I have been so "sick" over the past year. I was tested for everything under the sun because I was convinced something was wrong with me and everything was normal. I had extreme fatigue, aches, nausea, diarrhea, and just felt like crap all the time. Even though I'm not 100% healed from surgery, I already feel 95% better. No matter how anyone feels about the band, it's still a foreign object and I just think some people react worse than others. I hope you guys find some answers because not having some kind of diagnosis is so frustrating. Good luck and keep us posted!

I'm sorry you guys are going through this. I had the band for almost five years before my revision in Feb. I never had the passing out that you describe, but I've had other ailments over the years that could never be attributed to any one diagnosis, but I'm convinced they were band related. I have been so "sick" over the past year. I was tested for everything under the sun because I was convinced something was wrong with me and everything was normal. I had extreme fatigue, aches, nausea, diarrhea, and just felt like crap all the time. Even though I'm not 100% healed from surgery, I already feel 95% better. No matter how anyone feels about the band, it's still a foreign object and I just think some people react worse than others. I hope you guys find some answers because not having some kind of diagnosis is so frustrating. Good luck and keep us posted!

Me too!!! I would go through stages where it was all I could do to go to work. There were times that I slept 18 hours and was exhausted when I woke up. I would lose track of days because I was sleeping so much. I would go for days without eating anything because I had no appetite and it was so unpleasant to eat. My memory was horrible also. Tests never revealed to much except my thyroid was hyperactive. It was so bizarre that my lab never revealed anything but when I went to the hospital in January everything was altered. I feel much better with the sleeve.

Me too!!! I would go through stages where it was all I could do to go to work. There were times that I slept 18 hours and was exhausted when I woke up. I would lose track of days because I was sleeping so much. I would go for days without eating anything because I had no appetite and it was so unpleasant to eat. My memory was horrible also. Tests never revealed to much except my thyroid was hyperactive. It was so bizarre that my lab never revealed anything but when I went to the hospital in January everything was altered. I feel much better with the sleeve.

That's interesting. I lost weight with the band, but I was never healthy. I didn't eat either because I would just throw up or hurt. I'm glad you are doing better. I'm just 4 weeks post op, but I already feel better and can see that the sleeve is a much better choice for me.

That's interesting. I lost weight with the band, but I was never healthy. I didn't eat either because I would just throw up or hurt. I'm glad you are doing better. I'm just 4 weeks post op, but I already feel better and can see that the sleeve is a much better choice for me.

Yup that is how I lost weight too. I told my sleeve surgeon that I haven't felt healthy since 6 months after getting the band. I am happy with the sleeve but do you also worry that now you are able to consume food (and its probably 3 x the calories we were getting with the band) that we may gain rather then lose? That is what I worry about and I am not sure how many calories I really need since my body has been used to very few. I haven't lost much since getting sleeved but I don't have much more to lose.

Reading the responses is making me wonder how the band has affected me. I guess I'll find out when I get the sleeve. I just started the process. I feel tired a lot; I thought it was because I'm getting older. Now I can't wait to see what happens. I haven't thought about overeating with the sleeve because my understanding is that the difference between the band and the sleeve (in terms of eating) is the difference between feeling restricted and feeling full. My doctor agreed with me that it's a big difference. I look forward to feeling full. I know it will take some work and that I have guidelines to follow. However,I've had the same issues with the band as many others. I've thrown up Water when taking pills on an empty stomach. So being able to eat even a small amount and feeling full seems much better than being hungry and unable to eat.

I'm just a month out and still on limited food intake, but I love that I can drink fluids as much as I want. When I was restricted with the band, there were days when I could t even get Water down. I would be so thirsty and dehydrated, but I could only take a sip or two. Now I'm very well hydrated. So far I love the difference of my sleeve. I'm now realizing what a pain the band was and what a horrible thing it really was. I look forward to finding out more about my sleeve and learning to live my life with it. Good luck to you!!