Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Started 'Couch to 5k today' Anyone keen?

Ok. I've been reading this thread on the c25k and i was wondering of anyone had trouble with there knees before starting? I am 4 1/2 months post sleeve starting wt 270. Current wt 220 down almost 50 lbs. I still have trouble with my knees. They really hurt and I worry I will fall. My daughter gave me an older treadmill so I can hold on while I walk. So far I can only get thru about 15 min. At under 2 mph. I know... Pitiful... I have not much strength in my legs and knees I noticed this when I try to step up onto anything. Usually need help. Don't really know what my question is.... I think I'm so afraid I won't be able to do it that it paralyzes me from trying. I have the same issue with the Zumba I just got.

Ok. I've been reading this thread on the c25k and i was wondering of anyone had trouble with there knees before starting? I am 4 1/2 months post sleeve starting wt 270. Current wt 220 down almost 50 lbs. I still have trouble with my knees. They really hurt and I worry I will fall. My daughter gave me an older treadmill so I can hold on while I walk. So far I can only get thru about 15 min. At under 2 mph. I know... Pitiful... I have not much strength in my legs and knees I noticed this when I try to step up onto anything. Usually need help. Don't really know what my question is.... I think I'm so afraid I won't be able to do it that it paralyzes me from trying. I have the same issue with the Zumba I just got.

My knees are a mess. Torn ACL, torn MCL, torn meniscus, arthritis, lack of flexibility....I've had knee pain all my life....till now. And I know some people don't like to hear this, but when I first started running I went to the shoe store and got fitted for good running shoes. They put me in motion control stability shoes and my knees hurt like hell. I did a bunch of research on running without knee pain and I stumbled upon the barefoot runners. Because they're barefoot, they have to rely on really good technique and not allow their running stride to jar their joints. I don't go barefoot often, but I did ditch the thickly cushioned motion control shoes for some minimalist running shoes, I worked hard on my form, and I never had another knee ache.....except the couple of times I went back to those shoes. When I did my knees hurt immediately.

There's lots of good resources for proper running form but my favorite is

www.goodformrunning.com

With this form I have no knee problems...or any other kind of pain. The interesting thing about running form is there are two schools of thought: This style, which minimizes injury. And the old heel striking style which was developed for track athletes so they could run faster. You have to decide what your ultimate goal is but mine was to run forever without injury, not to win an Olympic medal. That really made the choice easy for me.

My knees are a mess. Torn ACL' date=' torn MCL, torn meniscus, arthritis, lack of flexibility....I've had knee pain all my life....till now. And I know some people don't like to hear this, but when I first started running I went to the shoe store and got fitted for good running shoes. They put me in motion control stability shoes and my knees hurt like hell. I did a bunch of research on running without knee pain and I stumbled upon the barefoot runners. Because they're barefoot, they have to rely on really good technique and not allow their running stride to jar their joints. I don't go barefoot often, but I did ditch the thickly cushioned motion control shoes for some minimalist running shoes, I worked hard on my form, and I never had another knee ache.....except the couple of times I went back to those shoes. When I did my knees hurt immediately.

There's lots of good resources for proper running form but my favorite is

www.goodformrunning.com

With this form I have no knee problems...or any other kind of pain. The interesting thing about running form is there are two schools of thought: This style, which minimizes injury. And the old heel striking style which was developed for track athletes so they could run faster. You have to decide what your ultimate goal is but mine was to run forever without injury, not to win an Olympic medal. That really made the choice easy for me.[/quote']

Thanks! I will check that out for sure! I did notice that I can tolerate the treadmill better if I do not wear shoes only my socks. Figured it was a no-no. Lol. I will not give up and will be pushing myself to do more. May be a while before I can actually run....but I will keep moving forward.

Thanks! I will check that out for sure! I did notice that I can tolerate the treadmill better if I do not wear shoes only my socks. Figured it was a no-no. Lol. I will not give up and will be pushing myself to do more. May be a while before I can actually run....but I will keep moving forward.

It's not a no-no as long as you're form is right. If you're a forefoot striker, you're doing it right. If you're a heel striker, then yes you need the cushioned shoes. I was a heel striker but converted and it was quite easy. Just shortened my stride and pretended to run on my toes for a couple of weeks. It's hard on the calves at first but if you start slowly and build up it gets quite easy.

But as you describe yourself, it also would benefit you to do some leg strengthening exercises. I love sumo squats for strengthening all the running muscles.

Sumo squats? I will look those up too. Lol. And yes my legs r pretty weak. From carting around all this weight for so many years no doubt. I think I'm a heel striker to compensate for the knees. I will make a point if pretending to walk on my toes when on the treadmill. Thank you!

I run at the gym near my work and two days off in a row plus a really busy day before that means that I am behind and will need to bring my gym stuff home and do w4d3 outside on Saturday. I'm a bit nervous about that!

Good luck. Your my inspiration to try it outside. Let me know how it goes.

W2D2 down. Wish i could keep up the speed and pace that i start out with.

I finished c25k and am just now working on speed. Having a "bunny trail" mind makes it hard to focus on more than one thing at a time. Lol

C210K W2D3 done. Speed this week wasn't too bad. I really am beginning to enjoy this. ;-)

I did w4d2 yesterday at the gym as planned. W4d3 outside is today. I'm nervous because my right ankle is very bad and prone to collapse at any little thing, and if that happens I'm out of commission for several weeks. I'm going to be sooo careful. I also know it will feel harder without the treadmill pushing me along. I'm sure I'm going to be slow but I just want to finish.

I need to start bringing shower stuff to the gym because I'm finally at the point where I'm too sweaty after my run to just dry off and put my work clothes back on. I'm not a stinky sweater but lately my hair is drenched after I'm finished running and doesn't dry out while I'm doing weights.

W2D3 done! May try to knock out W3D1 tomorrow.

I know it says take a day off, but has anyone done two days back to back?

I DID IT! W4D3, outside!

Actingnurse, I have done two days in a row a few times because of scheduling. It's not so bad once in a while though I do feel more tired.

I know it says take a day off, but has anyone done two days back to back?

Plenty of people run every day. I've run 3 days in a row a few times, and back to back many times. But sometimes I just can't do it. My body will feel like crap that second day. Other times I'm fine. I say if you feel good go for it. If you find that your performance is way down that second day, you'll know you need more rest next time.

I know it says take a day off' date=' but has anyone done two days back to back?[/quote']

Yes, I run practically every day as part of a warmup to working out. The exception is Saturday and Sunday where I do not run, but might do a leisurely jog with my dog (who is not really that active). I call my rest days active rest days because I still am active, but not in an intense way. Distance ranges from 1-3 miles a day and I try and do an average of an 8 minute mile to get the blood flowing and a little sweat going before transitioning into stretching and floor exercises before diving into the meat of a workout. If you are running longer distances like 5k-10k, I would take a day off to avoid injury from repetitive motion. Be sure to wear a good pair of running shoes and practice good form when running. that is key. I learned to run using the chi running approach and can say good things about it all day long. Some may able to avoid needing to take a day off when running a lot of running above their comfort levels, but my intuition on it is to listen to your body and rest if it is needed. Good luck in your running!

Well i pulled off W3D1 the day after W2D3 - BARElY. That second three minute run about did me in. I had to stop 30 seconds before it ended to catch my breath then run those thirty a few seconds later. Ill take tomorrow off and try W3D2 on Monday.