Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Started 'Couch to 5k today' Anyone keen?

Maybe it was how YOU spelled it... :D

JOHN!! Why I never....

Ok now go help amy with her shoes!

By the way Amy I need shoes too I won't even tell you what I've been using :P

I would be happy to help you out Amy with part of the cost of fitted running shoes. Just send me a PM of where I can send Paypal funds to. I am sure some others are willing to help out a fellow VST runner. I want anyone who wants to run not to see their motivation shot down because of lack of proper running shoes.

I'm a little bit different. I'm absolutely IN LOVE with c25k and I've tried it in borrowed sauconys that had a lot of miles left in them and in my vibrams and my knee pain has gone from bad to worse. I'm really sad about this as I'm starting to think I might not be able to do this program any more and I looooove me some running so much I just bought the 10k runner app last night for $3.99. 10k! I really want to be a runner! Ran this morning and about 3 hours later, pain.

I think I'll be hanging this up for a while. Maybe I need to lose more weight and work on strengthening and loosening up my muscles with squats and lunges and other knee/leg exercises. :(

I'm really upset. I've not found another exercise as fun, freeing, and rewarding as this has been in the 4 days I've been doing it. It also burns a lot of calories in a little time.

If anyone has any suggestions as to ways I might be able to continue, I'm all ears! I may see if our local high school has a track open during the summer and start doing that. I absolutely can't afford to get fitted and get shoes, dh has made that clear.

A couple of things, shoes shouldn't cause knee pain. So that tells me that your gait or form might be a little off. Try going a little slower and leaning a little more forward. Also, and this is a personal thing, the vibarms are really bad if you are just starting running. Typically folks that have almost perfect running form are get the most out of those shoes.

If you can't get fitted, try an get the best shoes you can and supplement them with some orthotics. I use powersteps, but there are several other brands. What they do is help support your feet in the heel and fore foot area. I hardly ever run in the with the inserts that come in the shoes and replace them with better orthotics. Find some that cushion your heel and has a heel cup (a rise in the edge around the heel). They run in the $20-$40 range and will make a difference.

Lastly ice, ice baby. I have a pretty wonky foot that has terrible planter faecitius. I ice it down a couple of times a day especially after running and when I can do some stretches first thing every morning. If you aren't icing them, try that.

JOHN!! Why I never....

Ok now go help amy with her shoes!

By the way Amy I need shoes too I won't even tell you what I've been using :P

flip flops? bunny slippers?

Also - have you tried out my chi running suggestions from a few weeks ago? Did they help? Also I can send you my Chi Running book if that will help. Just send me a PM where i can mail it to. I do not need it mine any longer. I have written a lot on Chi Running, so just search through my past posts for ample information bout relaxation and pain free running with regards to Chi Running technique.

I was very disappointed when I had to stop training for a 5k run because of knee replacement but... I kept going . I walked the 5k in 1 hour and 6 months. I was never going to do another one since I had proved that I could do it. Well, my husband talked me into doing another one in July. Will try to get under an hour. Actually, I burn more calories when I do the Water aerobics and my feet and knee don't hurt. Not on any anti inflammatory meds at all. A few aches and pains but I am 66!!!! Lost 70 pounds so far and that has helped a lot!! I can help with shoes too! I bought SAS walking shoes and wear my orthotics too as well as a lift in one shoe. Good luck!

I'll pm you it's too embarrassing :P

No fair!! I need a cheap laugh too!

You have a pm, fiddle. :)

John, I've read a lot bout form and today was my most effortless run, so I thought I was doing good. I guess not as good as I thought. I have bunions, but its most pronounced on my left foot. My left knee is the one that's hurting the most and I'm wondering if my gait is thrown off by the bunions.? Would this problem be solved by orthotics in my sauconys or should I get fitted for my super special feet?

((Edit: reread- I had originally tea what you wrote as "you just need orthotics, you run funky", instead of "orthotics should help heaps if you can't get fitted. "))

About leaning. I do try. I have read to lean forward at the ankles and I'm really trying to understand what in the world that means for me. I think I'm doing it. I've seen the videos and try to do what he's doing. When I first started I was leaning at the hips. It was causing lower back pain so I started really trying to focus in the ankle thing

Ill get this figured out by gollee!

Do you know what type of Saucony's you have? I wear a grid stabil Saucony for motion control. If you can tell me what you have it would give me a better idea of what the shoe is doing on your foot (look on the tongue) Bunions can certainly change the way your feet hit the pavement so, yes, that could be part of the issue. Orthotics probably won't help as it their job is to basically support the foot from mid food to the back. There's some cushioning in the foot box area (were the toes are). But not much for support in that area. Have you ever seen a podiatrist? That might be the quickest way to get both your bunions and your feet squared away....

Do you know what type of Saucony's you have? I wear a grid stabil Saucony for motion control. If you can tell me what you have it would give me a better idea of what the shoe is doing on your foot (look on the tongue) Bunions can certainly change the way your feet hit the pavement so' date=' yes, that could be part of the issue. Orthotics probably won't help as it their job is to basically support the foot from mid food to the back. There's some cushioning in the foot box area (were the toes are). But not much for support in that area. Have you ever seen a podiatrist? That might be the quickest way to get both your bunions and your feet squared away....[/quote']

Pro grid guide 5.

Ive seen a podiatrist but didn't ask any running specific questions at the time. He basically told me that id have to wear special shoes if I were to have surgery and that he didn't think I should do it. He was not he best dr. Ever. . What specifically would I learn from going to a quality dr? I can be a bit slow.

Okay, so that's not a bad shoe at all. It is for a neutral runner that doesn't pronate too much. Pronation means your foot is turned in a specific direction when you are walking or running. For example if you under pronate, think pigeon toed. If you over pronate, your toes are point at 10 and 2 (on a clock). Pronators tend to have more hip problems and need more stability in the foot. Do you have flat feet?

The podiatrist could give you an idea of what orthotic might help based on your bunions and your knees. I really don't think that the shoes are the problem with your knees though. Maybe add a little more cushioning in the short term, that might help along with the ice.

A funny

post-27342-13813666430519_thumb.jpg

A funny

Love it!!

I think they might be a half size too big. My friend and I typically wear an 8 but I can sometime's wear a 7 1/2 too, depending on the brand. She says she buys her shoes a Half size too big to accommodate for her (milder than mine) bunions, and these were from her, so these are an 8.5. I might need an 8.

Plan of action: pray, get fitted, read about chi running, run. If I still have pain ill go back. If that doesn't work ,ill go to the podiatrist.

I appreciate everyone's input and tips and other help. Thanks so much!!

Edit- I don't have flat feet. A normal arch.

I was very disappointed when I had to stop training for a 5k run because of knee replacement but... I kept going . I walked the 5k in 1 hour and 6 months. I was never going to do another one since I had proved that I could do it. Well' date=' my husband talked me into doing another one in July. Will try to get under an hour. Actually, I burn more calories when I do the Water aerobics and my feet and knee don't hurt. Not on any anti inflammatory meds at all. A few aches and pains but I am 66!!!! Lost 70 pounds so far and that has helped a lot!! I can help with shoes too! I bought SAS walking shoes and wear my orthotics too as well as a lift in one shoe. Good luck![/quote']

Congrats on 70 lbs and I found your story inspiring!