Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Conversation with my PCP might encourage others

I went in to see my PCP having been sleeved on 12/5. I told him I was disappointed with my weight loss compared to others. I know. I know. We should not compare ourselves but we all do. I weighed 280 when I was there in his office in November. The day I was in his office I weighed 252. Today I am down to 247.6 I am thrilled to be loosing but when I read about the people who lose 70-100 lbs in 3 months I just have to wonder what am I doing wrong.

My PCP shook his head and ask me to consider my journey in its entirety My biggest recorded weight in his office was 386lbs in 2006. I fought down to 270 by 2008 and then bounced around 260 to 300 until I received by sleeve in 2012. All you dieters know that in order to lose over 100 lbs and keep it off for years I had already made major changes tommy eatting patterns. My PCP explain to me that because the surgery was not a big shock to my body I did see the big change.

I most definitely eat less calories on a continued bases now but my NUT actual ask me to up my calories from the 900 I was doing to 1300-1500 pre surgery. Does anyone else think that is kind of comical. I have seen many stalls over the years even when doing the right things. My PCP say the body has set points where it will not want to let go of more. That is when I need to up calories a day or two the back off. Also I must up what I am forcing the body to urn during a stall. That is very hard for me I am no fan of exercise but I press on.

My PCP told me to realize had I not already had made so many changes before surgery I would have seen a bigger difference but I would have been at a much higher starting weight to begin with. So I guess it all evens out in the end. This made me feel better about the lost post surgery. My hope with surgey was it would take me down the next hundred as my body seemed unwilling to go down below 260 even after that 6 month supervised 900 calorie diet the NUT complained was to low. So I do feel an accomplishment to be at 247.6 it is my lowest adult weight. I certainly hope to keep moving down the scale.

My current limits 800 calories 50 carbs and 70 Protein. I try to walk uphill at 3mph for 30 mins 5 times a week. Yes it is a journey but I feel like I am running the hardest marathon ever!

Makes perfect sense. I'm in a similar situation. I don't expect drastic results after getting the sleeve either. I'm hoping for 10 pounds a month.

You have a great attitude Kap. I'm glad that you are at peace with your progress now and hope you can enjoy the process as you get closer to the onederland. :)

I think you're doing great! That's a lot to lose in just two short months. I think a lot of those huge fast weight losses are also with folks who started off heavier than you did at your sleeve weight. I've read in medical journals that the overall average loss with the sleeve tends to be 10 - 15 lbs per month.

Upping the calories makes a lot of sense. I read somewhere about the science behind stalls, Water weight and the like. Sometimes it takes a calorie increase to get back to losing.

You're to be congratulated on your success! Also, just think that pre-sleeve how much would you have gained during this past holiday season? Best of luck on your continued success.

10 pounds a month sounds good to me!! I can't wait!!!!

Everyone is different. Just keep focusing on YOUR journey....at least that's what I tell myself!

SoCal is exactly right. Those of us with huge first month numbers are generally MUCH heavier. Yes, I've lost nearly 100 pounds since my surgery in October, but I started out at 383! I've been bouncing around the 280s for the past couple weeks now. My weight loss is about 4 pounds a week, on average.

Always keep perspective when it gets frustrating. People like me look at you and go "Gosh, I wish I was that skinny already..." :D

SoCal is exactly right. Those of us with huge first month numbers are generally MUCH heavier. Yes, I've lost nearly 100 pounds since my surgery in October, but I started out at 383! I've been bouncing around the 280s for the past couple weeks now. My weight loss is about 4 pounds a week, on average.

Always keep perspective when it gets frustrating. People like me look at you and go "Gosh, I wish I was that skinny already..." :D

Wow, 100 pounds since October? That is unbelievable. I had my surgery Oct 3 - starting weight was 333 and I am only down 50ish pounds. Everybody loses differently. I certainly wish it was more but I am happy with any loss. Actually, I have been getting REALLY frustrated lately b/c I feel like I should have lost more than that at the 4 month mark. I have been stalled out for over a month now. I am getting REALLY REALLY frustrated. Any advice???

Wow, 100 pounds since October? That is unbelievable. I had my surgery Oct 3 - starting weight was 333 and I am only down 50ish pounds. Everybody loses differently. I certainly wish it was more but I am happy with any loss. Actually, I have been getting REALLY frustrated lately b/c I feel like I should have lost more than that at the 4 month mark. I have been stalled out for over a month now. I am getting REALLY REALLY frustrated. Any advice???

I had some things that "helped" me accelerate my weight loss, including a stricture that kept me from eating solids for several weeks and a two week bout of stomach flu, so I know that it's not quite typical. Things are slowing down for me and I've been losing and regaining the same 5 pounds for the last two weeks XD, so I understand your frustration.

When I stall, I usually try a couple things. First, I go back to basics. I write down everything I eat, down to the last bite. I focus on Protein first with no extras and getting all my Water in and I find that somewhere along the line I've been adding a snack here or there mindlessly. Get a little extra exercise, too. Some people swear by upping caloric intake to get out of a stall. I've also heard that people have good results with Diva's Boot Camp, if you search for that post.

Nobody knows for certain why we stall when we're all eating next to nothing. Sometimes it's glycogen related, but sometimes we just don't lose. Keep perspective that even though it doesn't seem like a lot... it really is. Could I have lost weight without the surgery? Certainly not so much and certainly not without being absolutely miserable. I think sometimes the hardest part is just keeping perspective on our weight loss because after so long we finally feel it's going to work and we just want to be successful already and so we get frustrated even when we know it's not a magic weight loss surgery.

My PCP shook his head and ask me to consider my journey in its entirety.

Smart doctor.

Slow trains still get to where they are going.

Have a deadline? Hefner's coming in two months for a centerfold shot?

If not, be happy, you're on the right train.

Smart doctor.

Slow trains still get to where they are going.

Have a deadline? Hefner's coming in two months for a centerfold shot?

If not' date=' be happy, you're on the right train.[/quote']

I am trying to be happy and keep chugging but if I hit another stall I might need to be talk off the ledge again.