Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I've told a few people but as the process goes along I plan on telling everyone! I'm even thinking about starting a blog. I figure if I can help someone else then great. I'm not worried about negative comments. I'm going to tell everyone from the beginning if they have any negative feelings/comments then they can keep them to themselves. I'm happy with my decision and am proud of myself for making the choice to change my life.

Kitten' date=' how much have you lost?[/quote']

188 and counting!

Good for you! I agree 100%. I have told everyone except for work so far and only because I haven't scheduled the time off yet. But I agree, I refuse to be that girl that lets weight define her any more. Nothing to be ashamed of!

Why does not telling everyone who will listen equal being ashamed? Just asking...

I know its a personal choice to tell or not . But can i say that had a Facebook friend not been open with me about how she lost the weight i wouldnt have looked into the surgery. Because of her honesty it gave me hope. And thats why im so open about it.

Kitten,

That is absolutely amazing. My surgery is Feb 18th. Since you are a year out, what do you eat now? With that much weightloss do you have a lot of excess skin?

Kitten,

That is absolutely amazing. My surgery is Feb 18th. Since you are a year out, what do you eat now? With that much weightloss do you have a lot of excess skin?

I was going to ask the same thing.

Your WL is very encouraging!

I'm not going to tell anyone but my Mom, Dad, and Husband. I don't want to be the poster child for WL surgery in the family. I want to get my weight off and go on about my life. I know my cousin that had lap band. Everyone is always talking about her. What is she eating? She should have lost more. Things like that. I've stuck out for so long with my weight that I just want to be normal. So did you tell?

Funny...I told everyone. But it's like they all forgot I had surgery. I never heard one negative word about surgery. But everyday people ask me about my diet, or my workouts....and they are constantly wanting weight loss advice or telling me that "Monday" they are gonna start eating better and going to the gym.

So basically, I've become like a poster child for weight loss. Telling or not telling about the surgery wouldn't change that.....so, just saying...get ready for that.

And don't think people aren't going to ask you about your weight loss. They can't help themselves. They are going to say..."You look great." Followed by "how much have you lost?"...and then the ever obvious "how did you do it?"

"Magic beans" is the only anser I have ever given that didn't get a look of disappointment.

The problem is that even if you don't want to tell very many people, someone might tell others for you. It is hard to keep a secret as soon as you tell anyone else. They might not even do it on purpose.

I have not been super secretive about my surgery but I also don't shout it from the roof tops. I guess I'm somewhere in the middle. Everyone in my "inner circle" knows about my surgery as do many of my peers at work. But my staff at work don't know (I manage a department of about 25 people). They are always commenting on my weight loss and want to know how I've done it. So, I tell them the truth....I train and compete in triathlons!!!! :o

I know its a personal choice to tell or not . But can i say that had a Facebook friend not been open with me about how she lost the weight i wouldnt have looked into the surgery. Because of her honesty it gave me hope. And thats why im so open about it.

That is great for you!

Everyone needs to do what is best for them. Be it tell no one, a few or the world. Telling the world doesn't mean you're in anyone's face about it. Telling no one in no way means you are ashamed.

Everyone is different and every journey is different.

Hi everyone! I'm very new to this and still researching drs but I think I'll let tell everyone. My cousin had bypass surgery a year ago and was very open with me. She is the reason I decided it was time for me to get this weight off. I hope that my family will be very supportive.

I have been pretty open about it...I will be sleeved on the 21st of Feb and felt if I told those close to me it will help to hold me accountable. I manage a team of 11 folks and we are really close and they will notice the changes without a doubt. I haven't had the best at home support as my husband and mom are against the surgery but my coworkers are very supportive which has helped me tremendously. I also am now figuring out a good response for outsiders who will notice the weight loss...the magic Beans answer by Butterbean seems plausible ;-) no matter what you decide stand by it and keep your head up. The best is yet to come!

I told only one of my sisters. I may tell more of my family later on. Haven't really decided. Basically, it's my business and ill darn well tell who I want to tell... Or tell no one at all. Certainly doesn't make me a fraud or a coward. Do what is best for you. :)

I agree . I dont judge anyone for telling or not telling. I tell when asked. So far only family members have been openly judgemental. It is what it is. The sleeve has been the best thing for me. But i can see why some people dont tell. All i know is i thank my friend for telling me :)

Everyone is different. I told anyone who would listen. It's been a year and I'm STILL telling people.

It's your decision though. I've had people make snarky comments' date=' say I took the easy way out, etc. At the end of the day, they're asking because they're envious. So they can suck it.

I'm proud of my sleeve![/quote']

I agree! Only haters get mad at sleevers!