Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm opting out from telling people my family is aware and A few very close friends a couple people at my work have gotten the sleeve and everyone always compare them all together its sad I don't want to be apart of it and also when we have a potluck or something people will make comment to some of the known sleevers an say why are you eating that or stop eating that I feel that is none of people business to keep yourself on the right healthy track some people don't need to know I have only told the people that I feel will be a positive support system for me I don't feel negativity will help me on my journey

I told a few people - close family, couple of friends, and couple of co-workers I knew would be supportive. I didn't want to be the topic of anyone's conversation about my weight, or weight loss success or failure, or anything else for that matter. I've found that this type of information in the wrong hands can make you fodder for gossip. Sadly, some of my confidents felt at liberty to tell others....makes me mad/sad. Moral of the story - if you tell anyone, there is a risk that it will get out. I knew that in the back of my mind, and now I'm living it. Not really a huge deal, but I am irritated about it.

So far I've told my parents, 3 sisters, boyfriend and my very best friend. I'm considering telling one other friend. I'm only 26, and I live in a town full of people who love to talk, the last thing I need is my weight loss surgery being among the topics. That's my theory on it!

I have only told my kids. I intend on telling my exhusband as he will be taking me to the hospital. I may tell my parents, but only after, AND ask them not to say a word to any of my other family. On the same token I am not going to lie either. If someone asks, I'll let them know, but right now, its my personal journey. I want to be focused mentally and be prepared physically through the process and not allow any external factors interfere or ridicule me for MY decision. I am not telling anyone at work unless asked also.

I'm not going to tell anyone but my Mom' date=' Dad, and Husband. I don't want to be the poster child for WL surgery in the family. I want to get my weight off and go on about my life. I know my cousin that had lap band. Everyone is always talking about her. What is she eating? She should have lost more. Things like that. I've stuck out for so long with my weight that I just want to be normal. So did you tell?[/quote']

I told people that I know my absence would effect. I have two jobs, I'm extremely active in my daughters school and at church, the minute I go MIA because of recovery, many people would question. I didn't want to lie about it so I decided to be open about it. I have only received the greatest support ever.

I'm not going to tell anyone but my Mom' date=' Dad, and Husband. I don't want to be the poster child for WL surgery in the family. I want to get my weight off and go on about my life. I know my cousin that had lap band. Everyone is always talking about her. What is she eating? She should have lost more. Things like that. I've stuck out for so long with my weight that I just want to be normal. So did you tell?[/quote']

I told people that I know my absence would effect. I have two jobs, I'm extremely active in my daughters school and at church, the minute I go MIA because of recovery, many people would question. I didn't want to lie about it so I decided to be open about it. I have only received the greatest support ever.

I, for some reason, feel like people are ashamed to tell more people about having WLS. It is not something to be ashamed of. Clearly people every day see us all overweight, struggling in our daily lives in one capacity or another. I, for one, am shouting it from the roof tops that I am making the biggest change of my life and getting on the road to a healthier me. I feel like people are either being phony or they are just too ashamed or afraid to open up and be honest about what is going on. Yes, some people are going to say negative things about you getting WLS, but SO WHAT. I have faced the same thing and just had to show them that I do not care what they think; I am going to do what is best for me and for my health. This surgery is going to be a life changer and it is going to bring back my vision.

I went to a support group a few weeks ago and people there were telling stories of how they would tell their friends and family that they had been working out more and changed their diets up when asked how they had lost so much weight. Why lie? Where is that going to get you? I would rather be honest and show them that I made a choice that I can stick with for life. Honesty has always been the best policy and I see no need to change that just to meet another human being's expectations of me.

My cousin, who was my babysitter growing up, just had WLS a little while ago. Our family treats her no differently than they do anyone else. At family gatherings they do not molly coddle her about what she eats or worry over whether or not they need to put certain foods away. Why would they? If you are willing to put your body through this surgery, you should be willing to have the will power to abstain from eating the foods or portions you know your body can't have. She is my surgery role model. I am so ecstatic that she is such and that we have such a supportive family behind us.

I'm sorry if this is offensive to anyone. I am tired of being "that girl" who let weight define her and keep her quiet for so long. All my life I have kept my opinions to myself because I wanted people to like me or be my friend, but now, I don't care anymore. I am shouting it out from the roof tops. Weight loss surgery is about to change my life forever!

Then you should go shout it it from the rooftops. I, for one will applaud you and encourage you!

However, just because not everyone takes that approach, it doesn't make them a phony or ashamed. Some of us simply happen to think it's no one else's business. Plain and simple. Every one's journey is different and should take the approach that is best for them.

Good luck to you. Good luck to us all! :)

I, for some reason, feel like people are ashamed to tell more people about having WLS. It is not something to be ashamed of. Clearly people every day see us all overweight, struggling in our daily lives in one capacity or another. I, for one, am shouting it from the roof tops that I am making the biggest change of my life and getting on the road to a healthier me. I feel like people are either being phony or they are just too ashamed or afraid to open up and be honest about what is going on. Yes, some people are going to say negative things about you getting WLS, but SO WHAT. I have faced the same thing and just had to show them that I do not care what they think; I am going to do what is best for me and for my health. This surgery is going to be a life changer and it is going to bring back my vision.

I went to a support group a few weeks ago and people there were telling stories of how they would tell their friends and family that they had been working out more and changed their diets up when asked how they had lost so much weight. Why lie? Where is that going to get you? I would rather be honest and show them that I made a choice that I can stick with for life. Honesty has always been the best policy and I see no need to change that just to meet another human being's expectations of me.

My cousin, who was my babysitter growing up, just had WLS a little while ago. Our family treats her no differently than they do anyone else. At family gatherings they do not molly coddle her about what she eats or worry over whether or not they need to put certain foods away. Why would they? If you are willing to put your body through this surgery, you should be willing to have the will power to abstain from eating the foods or portions you know your body can't have. She is my surgery role model. I am so ecstatic that she is such and that we have such a supportive family behind us.

I'm sorry if this is offensive to anyone. I am tired of being "that girl" who let weight define her and keep her quiet for so long. All my life I have kept my opinions to myself because I wanted people to like me or be my friend, but now, I don't care anymore. I am shouting it out from the roof tops. Weight loss surgery is about to change my life forever!

I totally agree, good for you! Good luck!

Congratulations on choosing to be in control of your choices. It is so hard when we live in a society that judges. I heard my formal sister-in-law say "fat people are just lazy" I was so enraged because I am not lazy. But its those nimble minded that do not see the struggle. I had a hard time telling my mom. she is supportative but still has her judgements. I plan on telling no one else. I want to just be the me I know i am on the inside. Good luck to you.

I' date=' for some reason, feel like people are ashamed to tell more people about having WLS. It is not something to be ashamed of. Clearly people every day see us all overweight, struggling in our daily lives in one capacity or another. I, for one, am shouting it from the roof tops that I am making the biggest change of my life and getting on the road to a healthier me. I feel like people are either being phony or they are just too ashamed or afraid to open up and be honest about what is going on. Yes, some people are going to say negative things about you getting WLS, but SO WHAT. I have faced the same thing and just had to show them that I do not care what they think; I am going to do what is best for me and for my health. This surgery is going to be a life changer and it is going to bring back my vision.

I'm sorry if this is offensive to anyone. I am tired of being "that girl" who let weight define her and keep her quiet for so long. All my life I have kept my opinions to myself because I wanted people to like me or be my friend, but now, I don't care anymore. I am shouting it out from the roof tops. Weight loss surgery is about to change my life forever![/quote']

Good for you! I agree 100%. I have told everyone except for work so far and only because I haven't scheduled the time off yet. But I agree, I refuse to be that girl that lets weight define her any more. Nothing to be ashamed of!

I have only told my husband so far. I am a nurse in a doctor's office and you wouldn't believe how my coworkers act towards the patients who have had gastric surgery done. Very catty...nasty comments, etc. I really don't want to tell any of them, but my absence will be noticed as we are not that big. Funny though...with each passing day...I care less. I'm a very personal person though and just wish I could disappear fora few weeks :\

I have only told my husband so far. I am a nurse in a doctor's office and you wouldn't believe how my coworkers act towards the patients who have had gastric surgery done. Very catty...nasty comments' date=' etc. I really don't want to tell any of them, but my absence will be noticed as we are not that big. Funny though...with each passing day...I care less. I'm a very personal person though and just wish I could disappear fora few weeks :\[/quote']

I understand what you mean. I hope everything works out because the last thing you should worry about it is the negative criticism from people who could KICK ROCKS!!

Honestly, I'm telling everyone I know. Im excited. I think it helps me not to angry that I cant lose weight naturally.

Everyone is different. I told anyone who would listen. It's been a year and I'm STILL telling people.

It's your decision though. I've had people make snarky comments, say I took the easy way out, etc. At the end of the day, they're asking because they're envious. So they can suck it.

I'm proud of my sleeve!