Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A thread for Single Bandsters

OK to after the consultation what hoops am i likely to have to jump through... My doc said they may be hesitant cause the only things that im being affected by is bmi over 60 and sleep apnea. So other than the psych eval whats test and things are they likely to run???ranger.gif
Hi Single Bandsters! I'm fairly new to LBT and definitely new to this thread so I thought I'd introduce myself. I'm 34, single (obviously), live in Utah, I'm a Sleep Tech in local hospital, and I'll be banded in 19 days! I'm a little nervous and a lot excited. Right now I'm trying very hard not to have one last 2 week affair with all the foods I love! I'm going to Mexico for my surgery and although a few people close to me have expressed horror over it, I'm comfortable with my decision and have faith that I will be in good hands and that I'm doing the right thing.

Most of the time I like my single life, and while I have been in some great relationships with some really amazing men, I haven't been able to find the right one. Whether it's been me or them who has ended things in the past, somehow I always think my weight has something to do with it, even when logically I know that if it was really an issue they wouldn't be with me in the first place. I'm a reasonably confident woman, and have never let my weight stop me from being happy, pursuing relationships and taking chances, but as we all know, its an issue that tends to permeate everything else in life.

Anyway, just wanted to say hello and introduce myself. I am counting the days till my surgery and have been so inspired by the success of everyone here and thrilled to have found such a supportive group! :biggrin1:

Jill

First of all WELCOME to both of you!!! I think you both will really enjoy the support given here on LapBandTalk, I know I have.

The Watcher - It really does depend on your insurance. I live in Cali and my insurance is Kaiser. They require the psych eval., meetings with the doctor and surgeons, meet w/ a nutrtionist one on one, classes for information, and support meetings. They did require me to lose some weight first. I started with a BMI over 63 myself and they had me lose about 30 lbs to shrink my liver so they can get to my stomach easier. So it really does all depend. Just as a side note there are alot of great threads on here and I found one called ... A thread for super-sized bandsters - starting BMI over 50? and I have really enjoyed their advise as well, you might want to check that one out too. The great thing is you can choose as many as you want, I currently have about 10 that I follow. I have not been banded yet and will hopefully get a date for November if all goes well according to my doctors office. But I wish you luck and great success! Feel free to ask me any questions.

:) April

Thanks guys - glad you liked it. :)

I had a date tonight with my friend Jeff. He's someone I met over a year and a half ago. We had one date and then his mother died unexpectedly. It was so sad. We've remained friends and will go out every now and again. He's such a nice guy. So it was a nice mellow night tonight. I'm leaving on Sunday for vaca to Disney. When I get back I think I'll rejoin Match. At least I'll have more dating stories for you. lol

Have fun Chrispy!!!

No, that kind of fell through. But by the way, what's the weather like at night? lol I'm packing today.

Oooh, it looks so nice! I'm so excited!!! Mickey Mouse will never be the same.

You guys, I have the tightest fill I have ever had. I can only sip Water at this point. I am trying to wait to see if the swelling goes down and if I can keep the fill. I am sipping hot tea right now, but I feel so full, like I ate way too many dinners.

Have fun Chrispy! I hope you get a kiss from Micky!

Denise, I meant to tell you earlier that I had the exact same thing happen to me recently--I went in for a fill and ended up with what seemed like less restriction. I was sooo hungry. My support group told me that when they do a fill, they deflate the band, measure the saline and then refill and add a slight bit more. Because of this, sometimes some of the saline lingers in the tubing from the port to the band and makes for less restriction. I have no idea how accurate this is, but these people acted like they knew exactly what they were talking about, and it makes sense.

Denise if you're not able to even drink full liquids then I would say you're overfilled. Just watch yourself and be careful.

Ok people. I know it's been a while. Still single? Aaaaabsolutely. lol

Now that I'm confident enough to go out with my friends, I'm still completely incapable of striking up a conversation with a woman. Once I'm talking to her, I do ok, but it's just that conversation starter that I have trouble with. I guess I still put women on a pedestal. It's so frustrating. I just can't get past it. I need some help!

Ok people. I know it's been a while. Still single? Aaaaabsolutely. lol

Now that I'm confident enough to go out with my friends, I'm still completely incapable of striking up a conversation with a woman. Once I'm talking to her, I do ok, but it's just that conversation starter that I have trouble with. I guess I still put women on a pedestal. It's so frustrating. I just can't get past it. I need some help!

Hello neveragain. That first break-the-ice contact is the hardest. It's the same with us women so don't think you're alone. Remember practice makes perfect so keep on trying and eventually you'll find becomes easier to start conversations. Hang in there.

Alright you guys... here's an update!

I met a really HOT guy last night who is a MODEL with Ford Models, and we hit it off, and I ended up going home with him last night... I have another date with him tonight! He is friends with my best friend, so its not like he is a stranger or anything...

I still have a date with Kevin next Sunday but he is only in town for 3 days this time (He comes to nyc for business about a week a month).

And Alvaro has been very busy, but is still super sweet to me.

I have been really lonely lately not having someone to wake up next to me, so it was nice last night to cuddle all night. I know I don't miss Matt because he really wasn't right for me, but I just miss having someone around. I seem to be replacing food with men, but I go through addictions and have no money to shop right now so shopping is out... and I don't have any money to eat, so I'm eating all the food in my house (oatmeal, tuna... you name it..) so I can't enjoy food right now either... It's just been a few hard weeks getting back into the swing of things with school and nyc.

hugs to everyone- have fun in disney, chrispy!

Leona, at least you're recognizing this. They have done shows on TV where women who have had WLS switch addictions to sex, gambling, shopping, drinking, etc. You're young and you're having fun right now, but hopefully in

the long run, you'll find the perfect man for you and settle down when the time is right.

Chrispy, I can drink Protein Drinks and Water. but my stomach HURTS. I am just wondering how long it takes for the swelling to go down. I haven't even tried food. I don't plan to until my stomach stops hurting, just Protein drinks and water.

Does anyone have any experience with too tight of a fill relaxing after a bit?

Leona, at least you're recognizing this. They have done shows on TV where women who have had WLS switch addictions to sex, gambling, shopping, drinking, etc. You're young and you're having fun right now, but hopefully in the long run, you'll find the perfect man for you and settle down when the time is right. Chrispy, I can drink Protein drinks and Water. but my stomach HURTS. I am just wondering how long it takes for the swelling to go down. I haven't even tried food. I don't plan to until my stomach stops hurting, just protein drinks and water. Does anyone have any experience with too tight of a fill relaxing after a bit?

Hello Denise:I'm no expert but I've read somewhere on this site that as you lose weight your band will loosen. Perhaps this is only during the adjustment period and then it stops. I don't know how long you've been banded but I have to agree with everyone and say that you are probably too tight.

As for me, I'm currently on my fourth fill and my hunger has returned with a vengeance. What's that about? I thought it would get easier. I know I'm tight because I've had a few blockages and I've regurgitated my food each and every time. Perhaps it's my Pavlov dog coming back to haunt me.