Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Cost of post op diet?

I think it is incredibly cheap post-op. Pre-op, I probably spent $10 - $15 a day on food. Now I spend about $4 - $6 a day on food and Vitamins.< /p>

Post-op diets are really not expensive at all provided you are not stuck on a particular name brand. If you do the research and are willing to sacrifice a bit you could get it down to about 5-7 per day. A pretty easy number to hit would be 10/day.

Even with the Protein and supplements my 'food' costs have been slashed. Yes a big tub of Protein costs a lot, but so did a big tub of ice cream several times per week! Eating out is cheaper now bc I either order a small plate or eat my entree over the course of 3 meals.

And don't forget that being sick from being obese is expensive. Co pays for doctor visits and prescriptions add up.

I think it is incredibly cheap post-op. Pre-op' date=' I probably spent 10 - 15 a day on food. Now I spend about 4 - 6 a day on food and Vitamins.[/quote']

Thanks for the reply! I'd actually love to know what a typical day of yours looks like food wise ?

A couple of points:

--Do not buy a lot of Protein drinks or powders. You may not like them and you will be able to get your Protein from food once you are allowed to eat regular food.< /p>

--Because you may not like the protein supplement you buy, either be determined to use it and not waste it or buy from a place like GNC which gives full refunds on products you don't like. Those stores are more expensive but may end up costing less if you become picky after surgery.

--Once past the protein supplement stage you will find that you save big time on groceries and restaurants.

I'm with you on this one, I use Isopure Protein and it's $50 a large tub, I mix it wit almond milk and thats $3.50 a small carton, I had my sleeve 5 days ago and I have to take all the pills, Calcium $10 centra $10, Iron $10 Biotin $10 galstone pills and idk loads of stuff, it all adds up, but from what I understand it wont be forever..... and remember sip sip sip lol

taste changes are crazy I hated chocolate all my life, now I love it and cant stand vanilla yuck lol

I have been stocking up.. I found an acid blocker from walgreens for a good price and it's buy one get one half off.

I got calcium citrate, Iron and sublingual b-12 from pilgrim's pride. I got the puritain's brand which are buy two get three free. Puritain's pride also had Isopure for 39.99 and I used a 10% off coupon so that is a really good deal. If you go with puritain's pride, here's a 10% off coupon https://puritan.sparkrefer.com/5z7lLq5

Also, vitacost has JayRobb Protein for a good price. GNC has buyone get one half off of their Protein powder and you can use your gold card so you wind up getting six pounds for $45.00.. but I don't like the taste so I pay more for what I like.

Cost:

Bariatric multi vitamin: $12.50 per month

1500 mg of calcium citrate $6.00 per month

B-12 (3x a week) $1.04 per month

Iron (good quality) $1.02 per month

omeprazole (acid reducer) $9.07 per month

Protein (isopure) 80 grams daily $72.00 per month (assuming this is your only protein source)

Total cost for a month is $101. 63

Of course you'll eat more that just drinking liquid Protein but this should give you an idea... Now, there are people here who spend $50.00 a month on Calcium supplements alone because they take the good tasting chews, but you don't HAVE to.. the quality isn't any better, it's just because it's a chewy candy instead of a pill.

I have been stocking up.. I found an acid blocker from walgreens for a good price and it's buy one get one half off.

I got Calcium citrate' date=' Iron and sublingual b-12 from pilgrim's pride. I got the puritain's brand which are buy two get three free. Puritain's pride also had Isopure for 39.99 and I used a 10% off coupon so that is a really good deal. If you go with puritain's pride, here's a 10% off coupon https://puritan.sparkrefer.com/5z7lLq5

Also, vitacost has JayRobb Protein for a good price. GNC has buyone get one half off of their Protein Powder and you can use your gold card so you wind up getting six pounds for 45.00.. but I don't like the taste so I pay more for what I like.

Cost:

Bariatric multi vitamin: 12.50 per month

1500 mg of calcium citrate 6.00 per month

B-12 (3x a week) 1.04 per month

Iron (good quality) 1.02 per month

omeprazole (acid reducer) 9.07 per month

Protein (isopure) 80 grams daily 72.00 per month (assuming this is your only protein source)

Total cost for a month is 101. 63

Of course you'll eat more that just drinking Liquid Protein but this should give you an idea... Now, there are people here who spend 50.00 a month on calcium supplements alone because they take the good tasting chews, but you don't HAVE to.. the quality isn't any better, it's just because it's a chewy candy instead of a pill.[/quote']

You rock! Want yo come to my house and organize my life too? Pretty please? ;)

I got Calcium citrate' date=' Iron and sublingual b-12 from pilgrim's pride. I got the puritain's brand which are buy two get three free. Puritain's pride also had Isopure for 39.99 and I used a 10% off coupon so that is a really good deal. If you go with puritain's pride, here's a 10% off coupon https://puritan.sparkrefer.com/5z7lLq5

Also, vitacost has JayRobb Protein for a good price. GNC has buyone get one half off of their Protein Powder and you can use your gold card so you wind up getting six pounds for 45.00.. but I don't like the taste so I pay more for what I like.

Cost:

Bariatric multi vitamin: 12.50 per month

1500 mg of calcium citrate 6.00 per month

B-12 (3x a week) 1.04 per month

Iron (good quality) 1.02 per month

omeprazole (acid reducer) 9.07 per month

Protein (isopure) 80 grams daily 72.00 per month (assuming this is your only protein source)

Total cost for a month is 101. 63

Of course you'll eat more that just drinking Liquid Protein but this should give you an idea... Now, there are people here who spend 50.00 a month on calcium supplements alone because they take the good tasting chews, but you don't HAVE to.. the quality isn't any better, it's just because it's a chewy candy instead of a pill.[/quote']

Wish I could spend 6.00/month on calcium. Why the heck would I want to spend $50/month if I don't have to? Its not about having " a chewy candy" but some of us just cannot tolerate the horse pills and it's no good if we end up choking right?! Some of us just don't have a choice for now, but hopefully will be able to find the right one and cut down costs too.

Honestly, if you don't get suckered into purchasing a ton of BS bariatric products you won't be spending a ton of money at all. I know a lot of people have different opinions on what types of Vitamins are best but honestly, you can go to costco and get a huge container of 250 MultiVites that taste good, and a container of sugar free Calcium chews for about 20 dollars with tax.

As for food, you can go different routes, but either way you should end up saving money more than likely. You can spend slightly less than you used to and start buying everything organic and whatever or you can shop for regular healthy food and spend WAY less. The main thing is to learn to not waste food though. You will cook too much multiple times before you learn you can't go through stuff as fast as you used too. As you can tell I am a costco devotee because I like having a bunch of healthy stuff like my Protein shakes sitting around the house because if I have a bunch I will drink them like I should because I don't have that feeling of scarcity.

Since we shop at costco (my husband and I - we have no children) we do spend more in one trip than a lot of people might but it lasts a good two weeks or so. This trip we got bottled Water x2, some of the Kirkland frozen cheese pizzas (I know, but they are good, cheap, and you can add you own healthy toppings and eat a tiny amount) and those come in a 4 pack for 10 dollars, Protein Shakes, another bottle of Vitamins, some organic frozen burritos that my husband takes to work with him, some Soups for me, and I got an article of clothing for 25 dollars and our total was like... 116 dollars.

Wish I could spend 6.00/month on Calcium. Why the heck would I want to spend $50/month if I don't have to? Its not about having " a chewy candy" but some of us just cannot tolerate the horse pills and it's no good if we end up choking right?! Some of us just don't have a choice for now, but hopefully will be able to find the right one and cut down costs too.

Do the wafers not work for you? Puritain's and vitacost both have calcium/d3 wafers that are much lower than the chews. I tried them and bought some for right after surgery when I can't take the calcium petities (which by the way are definitely NOT horsepills- they are about half the size of a pre-natal multivitamin) The wafers don't taste fabulous but for someone concerned about the cost of Vitamins this might be an option.

I'm not walking into the middle of this one, but my own personal experience (and thats all I feel qualified to comment on) it has not been cheep. but each to there own. I also have lots of foods/drinks I can not tolerate or stand or am allergic to.. I cant take fruit or lactose or soy, tons of food coloring's and the taste of ANY flavored waters are to strong and make me gag.....every single person is an individual xoxox

This is a life style change people! You have to give and take a little to get a lot, all the cost for Vitamins and food costs are worth it if your going to lose weight and become a healthier individual. I for one feel giving up on potato chips, fast food and sweets, while trading them for vitamins, Protein mixes and healthier foods is a much better deal. Remember, you have to break a few eggs to get a little mayonaise!

I think some people are missing the point, but I'm getting a little fed up of talking to a brick wall, I was not saying I dont want to pay for the pills, and that it's not worth the effort sheesh... One simple point of view is all I had, it has been expensive, and continues to be... In My Opinion :wub: