Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post-Op Diet. I am 6 days out and I am starving. What can I eat?

Hi guys i am 6 days out. i've lost almost 40lbs already. i am starving and i need food. nothing crazy like a steak or sub. maybe Soup or really whipped mashed potatoes. something. any ideas? am i allowed to eat something? i've only been drinking liquids. paperwork says i can't move to the next phase until i see the nutritionist which isn't until the 12th of February. I see the surgeon this wednesday though. please help i am breaking

I found chicken broth more satisfying than Water. It really worked when I was starving plus I was able to get in the required amount of liquids!

i need substance like bread lol. i know this isnt funny and we're all here for a reason but i am literally starving. i am weak and i am tired. just venting off some steam

First of all you are not "starving", people in third world countries are starving. It sounds like you need a PPI it is probably stomach acid. Try taking one and see what happens. You can also ask your surgeon for suggestions when you see him. If you are still supposed to be on Clear Liquids, stay there, I had a week of clear liquids until I went to full liquids.

Talk to your surgeon when you see him. You should be allowed to have soup...not just broth in the next few days. My regimen went like this: 1 week clear liquids (broth, watered down juice, Water & Protein shakes), 1 week full liquids (all of the week 1 + Soups with nothing in them, like Tomato Soup or chicken Soup with no noodles/meat, Tomato juice, coffee (no cream)), 1 week of pureed foods (all previous, then blended soups, like bean or veggie, plain yogurt, baby food (low sugar), unsweetened applesauce), 2 weeks of soft food (all previous, scrambled egg, blended cottage cheese, hummus, and the like), and finally ease myself into regular food. I am 8 weeks out. I can eat anything at this point, but in very small amounts. I can eat only about 1/2 - 3/4 cup of most foods, and less of some heavy foods, like meat.< /p>

i need substance like bread lol. i know this isnt funny and we're all here for a reason but i am literally starving. i am weak and i am tired. just venting off some steam

you will be weak and tired, as your body is adjusting to the low calorie intake and is using your fat stores for energy. For some it takes weeks for them to get their energy back, just be patient and enjoy the ride!

I don't think you are actually starving, you may want bread(more than likely, its head hunger), but I wouldn't think that would be a very good idea. Call your NUT and ask what your options are, this too will pass...

at 6 days out I am curious to know if what you are experiencing is really hunger or if you have experiencing head hunger but none the less I believe you should stick to you guidelines as best you can. I found chicken stock to be a really awesome meal. For whatever reason it really satisfied me.

I'm sorry you are feeling this way, but I can relate. Head hunger or not, it still feels like hunger and I certainly can relate. I was able to eat chicken broth 6 days out, but like others say talk to your surgeon when you seem them on Wednesday. Defintely follow the meal plan you were given, You may want bread, but don't eat it; besides you will feel very sorry if you do. Besides you will probably end up vomiting up anyway. Hang in there, you are not alone.

No bread. I'm 7 1/2 months out, and I'm just now able to tolerate bread. broth, creamy Soups, yogurt, Jello these things wont hurt your tummy, or make you slime like something heavy like bread!

hello,

I am 5 days post op. I have a few times thought about something that I wanted to eat, but tried to remember that I am probably not really hungry. What helps me is I imagine actually putting that food in my mouth, chewing, and swallowing. I try to imagine how that will make me feel, and every single time it boils down to I probably will throw up. My insides are making some growling noises, but i think that is just some left over gas. I just make my liquids for the day and am always full when I think about it. It is going to take time and thought. I mean, for literally the past 11,000 days of my life I have eaten something. That is a tough habit to break. And it is a hard thought to wrap your mind around. Something you have done literally almost every day of your life, and now it is not part of your routine.

Best of luck

My wife had her surgery 2-7-13 and im having mine on 2-14-13. Our post op is ice chips only day one, day 2 clear liquids and day 3 thru week 6 puree foods.