Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So many questions about Mexico

Hi everyone.

My name is Amber. I was planing on having my vsg done here in the states, but right before scheduling I got laid off work. Now I have to figure out how to do this with the $ I have saved... but I need some help. I don't know where to start. Please, all the info u can send my way I can use.

How much was it to have vsg in mexico? How long did u have to stay there? Who is a good trusted doc? What do I have to do?

This and so many other questions are in my head rite now I am going crazy..lol. thanks to everyone in advance... best wishes

Amber

Hey,

I remember being where you were a few months ago. If you do a search, you will find several doctors such as Dr. Garcia, Dr. Kelly, Dr. Lopez just to name a few. Some doctors utilize clinics while others use an actual hospital. My surgeon is Dr. Garcia and he has had a lot of happy customers. My fee is $4700 and I will stay in a hotel for 3 days and hospital for 2.

Their are other doctors who charge less and some way more. Hopefully this helped you out a little! And good luck!

I just had mine 5 days ago from Dr. Quinones in MX, loved the whole experience. Was $4000, but may be $4500 now. He was incredible as well as his staff. Included transport to and from San Diego airport, two nights in hospital, and one night in a hotel. Highly recommend!

Hello AMber,

I had my surgery in Mexico with Dr.Guillermo Alvarez. I found him through researching docs in mexico. He has a Facebook account were I saw over 100 patients before and after pics and he has allot of videos on youtube. Endobariatrics.com is his website. I paid 8700 + air fair 475. I live in Michigan. They sent me all the information via email and I spoke with Susan the corrdinator on the phone.I sent them a down payment of 1000 throuhg the bank and the rest I took with me as a cashiers check. I spent the 2 nights in the hospital and one in the hotel then flew home. I'm currently 6 weeks out and doing great . I have lost a total of 41 lb already and 25 and a half inches all over. Good luck on finding the right Doc for you :)

I went with Obesity Control Center as it is an International Center of Excellence .. Dr. Ariel Ortiz. The price is in between the others that have been stated. I signed an agreement that I would disclose the price. You spend one night in the Clinic and 4 nights in the Mariott which includes, chicken broth, popsicles, Water, etc. Excellent staff and care. He is located in Tijuana, Mexico. The Hotel shuttle takes you back and forth to the clinic and the OCC van takes you back and forth between the San Diego Airport or car in the United States if you drove. You go to the clinic every day for follow-ups while you are at the hotel. He gives you his cell phone number to call if you have any problems and tells you to call day or night.

Mary

There are several surgeons in Mx to choose from. The price range varies from 4k - 11k. Experience, location (coastal vs boarder town), and venue (clinic vs hospital) plays a big part in the pricing.

If you're going alone two surgeons stand out due to them having very hands on coordinators in Tijuana. Dr. Ponce de Leon/Trish and Dr. Illan/Omar.

Dr. Alvarez and Dr. Aceves are the most expensive but they also have excellent reputations on both sides of the boarder.

Dr. A. Ortiz and Dr. Pompa both work out International Centers of Excellence (I.C.E) and Dr. A. Ortiz has been doing WLS (mostly Lapband I think) for a long time. I don't know as much about Dr. Pompa.

A Lighter Me has been in TJ for 10 years and they have different surgeons to choose from and different locations like TJ, Puerto Vallarta, Cancun, Guadalajara, and more I believe. ALM's feature surgeon is Dr. Lopez.< /p>

Ready 4 a Change and ALM were once one company. I believe they have similar locales. Their pricing is similar. Their feature surgeon is Dr. F. Garcia. He has about 8+ years experience. Very well reviewed.

Dr. Almanza at Jerusalem Hospital is very well known. His hospital is a clinic. There are many threads about him.

Those are the names I know best and have researched at one time or another.

I chose Dr. Lopez with ALM although I may switch to Dr. A. Ortiz. I have sleep apnea and a heart issue, SVT, that kicks in every once in awhile and I think an I.C.E. location might calm my nerves.

I'm sure there are many others who can chime in with even more data and expand this list. Good luck.

Amanda Rae

I would probably start by contacting one of the coordinating companies and go from there. I went with Ready4Achange and chose Dr Garcia. I had a revision done(lapband to sleeve) and he was an amazingly skilled surgeon who works out of Mi Doctor Hospital in Tijuana.< /p>

www.ready4achange.com

alma@ready4achange.com

Dr. Ariel Ortiz is well versed in all procedures and seems to be doing a lot of the new sleeve procedure where the sew the stomach back into itself. The 4 days that I was there the patients were either doing the new sleeve procedure or the VSG. So, I don't think the band is his speciality. I even heard that one patient moved from band to sleeve after speaking with him.

Mary

I am on my way to TJ right now, VSG surgery tomorrow with Dr Ariel Ortiz at Obesity Control Center! Will give details as the unfold!

But, good for you to research and become educated as you identify the right doctor for you. It is a very personal decision.

I am on my way to TJ right now' date=' VSG surgery tomorrow with Dr Ariel Ortiz at Obesity Control Center! Will give details as the unfold!

But, good for you to research and become educated as you identify the right doctor for you. It is a very personal decision.[/quote']

Good luck! Sending positive vibes your way!

I used Dr. Aceves and paid $8,500 that covered everything but airfare. This included a ride to/from the San Diego airport, pre-op testing, one night in a hotel prior to surgery and I stayed 3 nights in a hospital - not a clinic. The experience was phenomenal.

Thank you everyone! I really appreciate all the information you are giving. 3 Months ago I had an amazing doc picked out here in Seattle and I really wish I could stay with him, but there is no way I can get that kind of money. Mexico is my only choice left. I have heard allot of people saying really good things about it. It is just my own worries about quality and after care that keep popping up. It seems that many of you have had a very good experience though. Also, another up side to this is I fortunately don't have any other pre existing conditions that might complicate the procedure.

Thanks again for all your advice. Keep it coming if anyone has anything to add. I am all ears :) And really appreciate it!

The quality of the care in Mexico is not subpar, they cater to international customers so the level of care is there. In many ways I found it superior to the level of care that I've experienced in Montreal area hospitals.

Dr. Ariel Ortiz is well versed in all procedures and seems to be doing a lot of the new sleeve procedure where the sew the stomach back into itself. The 4 days that I was there the patients were either doing the new sleeve procedure or the VSG. So' date=' I don't think the band is his speciality. I even heard that one patient moved from band to sleeve after speaking with him.

Mary[/quote']

I was originally going to go to Dr. Ariel Ortiz, but his coordinator told me he has done an estimated 500 sleeves or so. Which is still a lot, but there are others in Tijuana that have done thousands of sleeves. He was the go to guy for Lapband, but he's probably doing more sleeves now. He also is a heavy pusher for the sleeve plication.

Dr. Ariel Ortiz is well versed in all procedures and seems to be doing a lot of the new sleeve procedure where the sew the stomach back into itself. The 4 days that I was there the patients were either doing the new sleeve procedure or the VSG. So' date=' I don't think the band is his speciality. I even heard that one patient moved from band to sleeve after speaking with him.

Mary[/quote']

How many sleeves has he done to date since it is becoming a more popular surgery?

Amanda Rae