Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My 1 year Surgerversary!

Today is my one year surgiversary! I always enjoy reading updates from people who are farther down the road than I am, so I decided to post an update for anyone who’s interested in how life is a year out and wonders what they can look forward to. Here are some thoughts…

Mental state: I think that, over the course of the year, my mind changed as much as my body. I’m pleased to say I feel “normal” now and think in a way that matches a closer-to-normal-size body. Even though I still have 27 pounds to go to be out of the “obese” category, I have become much more at peace mentally these days. My thoughts don’t dwell on food. There is no sense of struggle/fight with myself/sense of defeat going on in my head these days. I feel free to eat what I like but choose to stick to what I know is going to keep my healthy and help me get to my goal. My outlook on life is SO much more positive. The biggest change mentally is that I feel more in control of my life than I have in a very long time. This weight loss journey, the decision to undergo the surgery, and the commitment I’ve made to being successful has empowered me. I see many positive changes in other places in my life because of these mental changes.

Physical state: My weight loss is as follows:

Pre-op - 31

Month 1 - 19

Month 2 - 13

Month 3 - 10

Month 4 - 5

Month 5 - 7

Month 6 - 9

Month 7 - 6

Month 8 - 7

Month 9 - 7

Month 10 - 0

Month 11 - 8

Month 12 - 4

TOTAL – 126

In the four months prior to surgery, I lost 31 pounds, joined a gym, and started working out regularly. I was back at the gym as soon as possible after healing and have been very good about going 4-5 times a week. The weight loss was much faster at the start but has been fairly steady. Things have slowed way down lately, but I know I’ll keep going till I hit my goal (about 45-50 more pounds). The changes in my body are exciting and rewarding. I feel strong, coordinated and capable. I can run, jump, climb, pull, push (you name it!) without that awful shortness of breath. I have muscles and I can feel some of my bones! I have a jaw line, collarbones, elbows, knees! I can cross my legs! Cardio workouts were very effectively for the first 8-9 months but then I stalled in a major way. I met with a sports nutritionist who suggested I up weight training to have a higher muscle mass and introduce more carbs into my diet. This has seemed to work after my frustrating month 10 stall. Unfortunately, I have a lot of loose skin that is floppy and droopy, but at least I feel firm and strong underneath the loose skin. When I’m at my goal and stabilized, I’m going to pursue work on my tummy to get rid of the worst of it. I wish I could afford to do my arms, breasts, and neck…but I’ll just have to live with it (better to look a little droopy and deflated than swollen and ready to pop!). A year ago I was wearing 28 bottoms and 4x/5x tops. Now I'm wearing 18 bottoms and L/XL tops.

Food: I stick to what works for me and have a fairly small repertoire of what I eat. My staples are eggs, Protein bars, tuna, lean meats, fish, low fat cheeses, yogurt, Beans, Peanut Butter, nuts. I love a skinny latte as a treat and do eat carbs in moderation (carby veggies, a piece of bread now and then, maybe some mashed potatoes). I’m good about drinking Water (at least 48 oz. a day, usually more). Things I absolutely stay away from are anything carbonated (those bubbles feel awful!), rice and Pasta, anything fried (acidy and refluxy), anything too fatty. I know now what is going to work and what is going to make me feel bad. I LOVE the restriction I still feel (though I can eat much more now than I could at first) and am confident that I will keep the weight off because of my secret weapon (no room to overeat!). I indulge in a treat when I want (a bite of sweets, skinny cow ice cream products) but keep it small and remember that I need to commit to burning off any extra calories I choose to enjoy. I have found that changing my diet affects my weight loss. Upping carbs/calories and then cutting way back to only Protein and lower calories seems to jolt my body into weight loss if I’ve stalled. supplements I take every day: multi Vitamin, B complex, D, Iron, Biotin, and Calcium. I never was able to stomach Protein shakes (blah!) and managed to do OK without them.

ADVICE TO NEWBIES:

Be ready! This surgery takes mental strength and preparation. These changes are big and permanent. Know that you are committed to this journey before you even begin and know what you’re getting into; it helps smooth out the kinks along the way if you are mentally prepared.

Take advantage of the first 3-6 months! The weight loss seems magical at first, but slows down over time. Loose as much as you can while the losing is relatively easy. Realize that stalls are normal and your body resets/adjusts along the way.

Integrate physical activity into your weight loss from the very start. The positive way I feel about my body now is not just about weight loss but about the strength and toning I’ve accomplished.

Mix things up. Experiment with what you eat and how it affects your weight loss. Change your work out and keep your body guessing and responding to what you ask it to do.

Enjoy those wonderful moments when you feel proud and happy about yourself (compliments from friends and family, finding out that yet another pair of pants are too big, being able to fit in the booth/fasten the airplane seatbelt...). Use those wow moments to get you through the harder times when you feel yourself struggling.

Use your support system. Read message boards, attend support group meetings, write in a journal, find a weight loss friend.

I am so grateful for my wonderful surgeon (Dr. Neff in South Jersey) and his staff and for all the support I’ve received from my family and friends. I am excited and positive about the future! I've attached a "before" photo and a recent one of me in the same pair of pants.

post-19229-13813662754183_thumb.jpg

A lovely, positive post. Very well done on your progress!

Thanks so much for this wonderful post! As a person waiting to be sleeved in 3 weeks this gives me hope and what to look forward too....bless u for sharing and I wish you the best on your continued journey! *Hugz*

You look great - and it's so nice that you added all the info for those new to the process!!

Thank you for the information! Not only was it informative, but you gave everything from point A - Z! Congratulations on you weight loss and I wish you continued success! I decided to join the board for support and I am glad I made that decision. Keep up the good work!

You look awesome!

Today is my one year surgiversary! I always enjoy reading updates from people who are farther down the road than I am' date=' so I decided to post an update for anyone who’s interested in how life is a year out and wonders what they can look forward to. Here are some thoughts…

Mental state: I think that, over the course of the year, my mind changed as much as my body. I’m pleased to say I feel “normal” now and think in a way that matches a closer-to-normal-size body. Even though I still have 27 pounds to go to be out of the “obese” category, I have become much more at peace mentally these days. My thoughts don’t dwell on food. There is no sense of struggle/fight with myself/sense of defeat going on in my head these days. I feel free to eat what I like but choose to stick to what I know is going to keep my healthy and help me get to my goal. My outlook on life is SO much more positive. The biggest change mentally is that I feel more in control of my life than I have in a very long time. This weight loss journey, the decision to undergo the surgery, and the commitment I’ve made to being successful has empowered me. I see many positive changes in other places in my life because of these mental changes.

Physical state: My weight loss is as follows:

Pre-op - 31

Month 1 - 19

Month 2 - 13

Month 3 - 10

Month 4 - 5

Month 5 - 7

Month 6 - 9

Month 7 - 6

Month 8 - 7

Month 9 - 7

Month 10 - 0

Month 11 - 8

Month 12 - 4

TOTAL – 126

In the four months prior to surgery, I lost 31 pounds, joined a gym, and started working out regularly. I was back at the gym as soon as possible after healing and have been very good about going 4-5 times a week. The weight loss was much faster at the start but has been fairly steady. Things have slowed way down lately, but I know I’ll keep going till I hit my goal (about 45-50 more pounds). The changes in my body are exciting and rewarding. I feel strong, coordinated and capable. I can run, jump, climb, pull, push (you name it!) without that awful shortness of breath. I have muscles and I can feel some of my bones! I have a jaw line, collarbones, elbows, knees! I can cross my legs! Cardio workouts were very effectively for the first 8-9 months but then I stalled in a major way. I met with a sports nutritionist who suggested I up weight training to have a higher muscle mass and introduce more carbs into my diet. This has seemed to work after my frustrating month 10 stall. Unfortunately, I have a lot of loose skin that is floppy and droopy, but at least I feel firm and strong underneath the loose skin. When I’m at my goal and stabilized, I’m going to pursue work on my tummy to get rid of the worst of it. I wish I could afford to do my arms, breasts, and neck…but I’ll just have to live with it (better to look a little droopy and deflated than swollen and ready to pop!). A year ago I was wearing 28 bottoms and 4x/5x tops. Now I'm wearing 18 bottoms and L/XL tops.

Food: I stick to what works for me and have a fairly small repertoire of what I eat. My staples are eggs, Protein bars, tuna, lean meats, fish, low fat cheeses, yogurt, Beans, Peanut Butter, nuts. I love a skinny latte as a treat and do eat carbs in moderation (carby veggies, a piece of bread now and then, maybe some mashed potatoes). I’m good about drinking Water (at least 48 oz. a day, usually more). Things I absolutely stay away from are anything carbonated (those bubbles feel awful!), rice and Pasta, anything fried (acidy and refluxy), anything too fatty. I know now what is going to work and what is going to make me feel bad. I LOVE the restriction I still feel (though I can eat much more now than I could at first) and am confident that I will keep the weight off because of my secret weapon (no room to overeat!). I indulge in a treat when I want (a bite of sweets, skinny cow ice cream products) but keep it small and remember that I need to commit to burning off any extra calories I choose to enjoy. I have found that changing my diet affects my weight loss. Upping carbs/calories and then cutting way back to only Protein and lower calories seems to jolt my body into weight loss if I’ve stalled. supplements I take every day: multi Vitamin, B complex, D, Iron, Biotin, and Calcium. I never was able to stomach protein shakes (blah!) and managed to do OK without them.

ADVICE TO NEWBIES:

Be ready! This surgery takes mental strength and preparation. These changes are big and permanent. Know that you are committed to this journey before you even begin and know what you’re getting into; it helps smooth out the kinks along the way if you are mentally prepared.

Take advantage of the first 3-6 months! The weight loss seems magical at first, but slows down over time. Loose as much as you can while the losing is relatively easy. Realize that stalls are normal and your body resets/adjusts along the way.

Integrate physical activity into your weight loss from the very start. The positive way I feel about my body now is not just about weight loss but about the strength and toning I’ve accomplished.

Mix things up. Experiment with what you eat and how it affects your weight loss. Change your work out and keep your body guessing and responding to what you ask it to do.

Enjoy those wonderful moments when you feel proud and happy about yourself (compliments from friends and family, finding out that yet another pair of pants are too big, being able to fit in the booth/fasten the airplane seatbelt...). Use those wow moments to get you through the harder times when you feel yourself struggling.

Use your support system. Read message boards, attend support group meetings, write in a journal, find a weight loss friend.

I am so grateful for my wonderful surgeon (Dr. Neff in South Jersey) and his staff and for all the support I’ve received from my family and friends. I am excited and positive about the future! I've attached a "before" photo and a recent one of me in the same pair of pants. [/quote']

Thanks for sharing your success!! Congrats! You look fabulous:) I am only 1 week post op do reading your story was inspirational.

I am just starting my journey, this is great, and exactly what I needed to hear!!

So happy for you.

101driver

what a great well thought out and written post!!!! thanx for sharing

all newbies will love the info, advice and success

and us "oldbies" also enjoy readiing your terrific story :)

you look lovely in both pictures so deservedly proud in your after picture beaming ear to ear :)

continued good luck

happy surgiversary :)