Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

4 months out and i binged yesterday

I've lost 63 lbs total. Had surgery in September. Lately I've been wanting to eat everything. I was hoping surgery would keep me from getting hungry, keep me from wanting or being able to eat sweets. I am having a stressful time right now and I'm sure that has to do with it, but I want ice cream and cupcakes! Seems evening time is still hardest for me. I have my mornings an lunch planned out an usually eat very little, but when I get home, te stress kicks in and I want to eat! I'm worried I will stretch out the sleeve and start gaining. I know what I need to do. It's just doing it! Anyone else having these feelings or wanting to binge?

Wondering what your definition of a "binge" is. What exactly did you eat? I do know that you can eat a lot of "slider" foods- ice cream being one of them. Just wondering.

-Kendra

No, I can't binge, my tummy won't let me. I do eat alot of Protein though. I know easier said than done, but, just don't buy the crap stuff so it's not in the house. I was told to stay away from sugar and bread, Pasta and rice and I think a cupcake falls under those. You went through all that work only to undo waht you dd. You can do it, you lost 63 already, your doing great!

From what my doctor has said about sleeve stretching, it would take consistent over eating over a period of time to the point of pain, to stretch out your sleeve. We do not have stretchy pouches like RNY Bypass patients. What CAN happen is that your sleeve starts to feel 'less different' so you don't feel restriction so much. You will gain weight if you continue down this path on a consistent basis. I agree with trying to figure out what you ate - a binge is a binge, no matter how much you ate-- but also defining some coping mechanisms to keep you from 'going there' when you feel stress. Eating 'around' a craving can be just as frustrating and unfulfilling as not having what you want.

Some things that worked for me was bartering with myself. Okay I want a cookie. Will I still want that cookie at 5pm? How about 8pm. At 8pm I can have a cookie if I still want it. Or if I do X thing and wait X amount of time and then evaluate if I still want it. Sometimes I do. Most times I forget.

I also agree with out of sight, out of mind. I can't keep stuff in my house because I will eat it. All of it. Mostly in one sitting. Because, for reasons. I feel you... but you and your sleeve have to work together to figure out how to move forward. There's a great thread around here about being a Binge Eater and a Sleever, I will dig it up.

Here is the thread on Binge Eating.

I've lost 63 lbs total. Had surgery in September. Lately I've been wanting to eat everything. I was hoping surgery would keep me from getting hungry' date=' keep me from wanting or being able to eat sweets. I am having a stressful time right now and I'm sure that has to do with it, but I want ice cream and cupcakes! Seems evening time is still hardest for me. I have my mornings an lunch planned out an usually eat very little, but when I get home, te stress kicks in and I want to eat! I'm worried I will stretch out the sleeve and start gaining. I know what I need to do. It's just doing it! Anyone else having these feelings or wanting to binge?[/quote']

I was sleeved sept 26, and for some reason as of lately I'm so " hungry" at night. Daytime is great though. I read a great article on here from someone sorry don't remember who or where about artificial sweeteners and them making you hungry and actually gaining weight ... In a normal eating circumstance... I was using Mio w Water I stopped and went back to lemon in my water and guess what I am not " craving"" food or sweets I also really stay away from

Carbs. Bit doesn't mean I don't want them :) look it up it made sense! I was shocked! Thanks for whoever posted it originally. Good luck, and congrats on your loss!

Also, completely limiting certain foods increase the likely hood of binge eating. Know your triggers. Know your limits. Exercise moderation and caution. Join a support group to connect with like minds who can help.

Amanda Rae

I guess Im not that far out to have "binge" eating.. My tummy cant hold much at the moment..and there is nothing that I like anyways other than sugar free popsicles. those are the only thing that make me happy.. everyting I eat is good on the first bite..then after that.. its not so good.. I dont crave anything.. nor do I feel hunger.. I do drink a lot of fluids.. that worries me that I might get that urge to eat the bad stuff.. Im doing good so far even when the people at work are all going lets oder pizza and fried chicken.. so far Ive been really good and said no sorry.. I cant eat that stuff.. and you know.. I dont miss that either..hard to hear myself say that.. But that is a good thing I believe.. just keep on track you have done a fabulous job.. wow what a weight loss.. please dont resort back to bad habits.. get yourself a good support group.. I have my hubby who went thru the same surgery.. so we keep each other in check.. and I cant wait to be where you are at that weight loss.. best of luck.. just keep coming here.. we will help you :)

Just a note that binge eaters don't eat because we're hungry. Not being able to hold a lot of food and not being hungry for it has no bearing on whether or not we will shove food into our faces. In fact a glaring characteristic of binge eating disorder is that we eat whether we're hungry or not, not to feed the body but to assuage feelings, emotions, stressful stimuli. It's a psychological issue... something we must combat in our heads and develop coping behaviors to help ourselves avoid it.

I was sleeved in the end of August. You most likely just want what you know you can't have. You are use to eating the junk. Make sure none of it is in te house. Maybe you need to go to a support group meeting. Do you have them do you attend one a month ? When I want to snap mysel back I just go and see the people who are in the beginning phases when I see them it brings me back to reality almost like a slap in the face. I will say I will never go back. It's not worth it. Maybe you could place that energy to want to eat cupcakes into exercising, walking ect. Maybe you need to place a photo of the old you 65 lbs heavier next to the new you. Maybe that will motivate you. Good luck

Ice cream calls! I know I need to get past this stall. I have started today off with lots of Water and Protein. Having yogurt and strawberries for my sweets later. I will make this work. And 63 lbs is nothing to sneeze at. It's nice to fit into pretty clothes and that is an incentive. Evening is harder but I just purchased a gym membership so I will have something to do in the evenings.

Just want to say you're definitely not alone. Although I'm 6 months out, I still have issues with food (specifically carbs) at night. The sleeve doesn't allow me to overeat most foods, but I can certainly still overdo it with crackers, chips, candy...and then I crave those things. I can't keep all junk out of the house with two small kids so I need to make better choices. I like the idea of postponing those crackers or whatever til a later time. If I still want them at 7:00, I can have them...or drinking a bunch of Water and then after 30 min, see if I still want them. Having good things available always helps...string cheese, yogurt, boiled eggs, lunch meat. I told my doctor I have issues with eating at night. He said he doesn't care if I eat at night...but choose a Protein not a bad carb.

Anyway, there are a lot of good ideas out there. I've just been reminded that the sleeve is not a cure-all. We still have to make the right choices. Be proud of how far you've come and have a great day today!

Thank u. The carbs def are a problem! I'm still losing weight, just much slower, and I think the stall made me want to eat. I had a cupcake and ice cream yesterday. But vowing to stay away from stuff like that. I went through too much to go back!

Thank u. The carbs def are a problem! I'm still losing weight' date=' just much slower, and I think the stall made me want to eat. I had a cupcake and ice cream yesterday. But vowing to stay away from stuff like that. I went through too much to go back![/quote']

Same here. Some great words of wisdom I heard yesterday: one bad meal doesn't equal a bad day and a bad day doesn't equal a bad week, etc. it's easy to say, "screw it" and "why bother," and continue the bad habits. Just move on and make the next meal or day great. I think it's normal to mess up every now and then. I'm trying to focus on getting to goal in the next 6 months (just about 10 lbs), and then I think it'll be easier to just maintain... Hopefully.

My vsg was September 26 and I'm down 61 lbs. A few days before my TOM I could chew the paint off of walls I feel so hungry. The more simple carbs I eat, the hungrier I tend to get, too.

It might be that you are really thirsty and interpreting it as hunger.

I try to keep slider foods out of my house, but I do have little Goldfish crackers that work well for me.

When I feel the urge to snack or have a plate of something that is crunchy or salty, I make up a small plate with pickles, pickled okra, sugar snap peas, cheese, a few nuts, some edamame and low fat crackers if I have them.

Make sure you are getting all of your Vitamins in, too. That might contribute to some cravings.

Sunday was my Pity me day I had a cupcake chips and grazed all day. I hit a big low Sundays are my weight in days. Well I was the same weight 209/217 9 weeks in a row only down 35lbs . So I lost it i went off the deep end today was better. I was sleeved in September 26th as well. So it happens

Sent from my iPhone using VST