Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pain when I swallow

Had my surgery three days ago and am having a lot of pain or maybe it's cramping when I swallow. I'm on Clear liquids and sipping very small amounts. Is this normal and if so how long does it last? Is there anything I can do to make it not so bad. Right now I can't even imagine ever enjoying real food again. Please tell me is eating going to feel this way when I reach that point?

Hi Dk. Is it at your belly or throat? I had spasms when drinking cold for first week. I had everything warm or hot. Just able to have first Popsicle two days ago! Doc said those spasms can last one to three weeks.

Had my surgery three days ago and am having a lot of pain or maybe it's cramping when I swallow. I'm on Clear Liquids and sipping very small amounts. Is this normal and if so how long does it last? Is there anything I can do to make it not so bad. Right now I can't even imagine ever enjoying real food again. Please tell me is eating going to feel this way when I reach that point?

The pain will go away in a about week. Take very small sips and hurts less. You will never eat or drink the same way again. I'm 6 weeks and I still need to remember to take small bites and sips. Everything is swollen that's why it hurts. It'll go away soon.

I am four weeks as of this past Wednesday. I was at 30 pounds then when I weighed I was at 29..is it normal to gain or hold at that weight for awhile? Time of the month makes it hard also I guess. Still finding it hard to get 64oz of liquid daily only getting around 30-40oz...will this cause a stall?...so frustrated at this point :(

The spasms are more in my belly. Everything I sip is either warm or room temp. I'm scared of cold because everyone says it causes more pain at first. I just really hope eating is not going to be something I dread because it hurts. I know I will never eat the same way and I know it's going to be worth it but not knowing what this is going to feel like down the road has me a little nervous.

The spasms are more in my belly. Everything I sip is either warm or room temp. I'm scared of cold because everyone says it causes more pain at first. I just really hope eating is not going to be something I dread because it hurts. I know I will never eat the same way and I know it's going to be worth it but not knowing what this is going to feel like down the road has me a little nervous.

Don't be nervous. Your body will tell you what to do. You will have to learn what and how to eat. I've tried foods I used to love and now I can't eat them anymore. Take your time trying foods. I can drink milk easily with no pain but Water hurts. I prefer room temp than cold.

I do room temperature also...I stay away from carbs if at all possible ...4 weeks out and I can eat almost anything just small amounts. Still having issues with looking at my salad plate of food saying "this is not enough" lol

I am only four days post op and noticed the cramping earlier in the week but now I use a spoon so I make sure that I take small sips. Popsicles didn't sit good with me until last night. Just take it slow ...I got in 45 g of Protein by doing going slow and using the spoon. Good luck to you.

Eventually the pain will go away. During the first week I felt everything I drank go down my throat and had pain in my back from it. It went away. Just keep sipping slowly and walk. You are doing fine. Remember your body has just been through major surgery, it will heal but it takes time.

Thank you everyone. I'm finding not everybody I know is supportive of my decision to have this procedure. I feel if I share too much about my discomfort ill get the "you made this choice attitude" and it's nice to have the encouragement from people who have actually been through this. My husband, my kids, my sisters and a few friends have been great though. Im surprised at how many others that disagree feel obliged to share their opinion on my decision. I'm really excited about the changes that are coming. I guess the first few days are the hardest and I'm worrying too much. I have always enjoyed eating and was just hoping, even though i know i'm going to be eating a lot less it will not be something I dread.