Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleeve complications!

Hello everyone!

I was sleeved 12-12-12... A date I cringe when thinking about. When deciding on SWL I wanted to do the lap band because of the thought a part of my body being removed wasn't appealing. After a few one on ones with my surgeon he convinced me the sleeve was the best option for me.

Now it's 6 plus weeks later - only two weeks -on and off- was Inable to spend home. The other 4 at the hospital being tested for everything multiple times - I feel like I'm in an episode of House - the only difference - no one is figuring out what's wrong.

I'm vomiting around the clock if I drink anything. (still haven't gone beyond the clear liquid phase) - all tests show the passage way to be normal. Including gallbladder.

They had to put in a pick line in my left arms - its my source of hydration and protien. It will remain in my arm until I can't eat on my own. Even when im discharged - it comes along - a nurse visits and changes my bags daily.

As of last week - my surgeon reviewed my case with other surgeons across the country and they all recomeeded stretching out my pouch using a stent. The stent has to stay in for 10 days. The Dr. warned me it would be the worse pain to experience. But to rest assured I would have access to all the meds I need to get me through the 10 days. Dilaudid was the only medication that made my life easier - but at this point my body cant tolerate - I immediately start to vomit when taking and does nothing for my pain - so life will be Hell until Monday where the stint is scheduled to be removed.

I'm so worried that the stent isn't going to fix me - if it doesn't my last option will be a bypass. The will bypass the area in the intestines that is causing this all together.

I'm scared - constant pain - and regret the decision to go through with WSL.

Any advice?

I am so sorry you are experiencing this. I have had no vomiting issues! This sounds horrible. I will keep you in my thoughts and please let me know if I can support you some how.

Tonya

I am so sorry to hear what happened to you :( Praying for a swift recovery.

I'm sorry you are experiencing this. I'm curious why they gave you Dilaudid unless they are combining it with an anti-nausea drug. The only suggestion I would make is to consult with another physician if possible. You may have to travel out of your area. I hope it gets better.

Thank you for warm wishes!!!

The Dilaudid is typically combined with anti nausea meds - this week I find Zofran and Tiegan work well. They give to me about 15 minutes before they give the Dilaudid - but still 60% of the time I end up throwing up.

Ask for reglan for nausea. When the other bausea drugs do not work well- reglan seems too. (It's the one that works on me). I'm so so sorry you are experiencing these complications. I so hope things get better for you!

I am so sorry you are having to go through this torture. I have no advice other than maybe seeing a different doctor? Although I know sometimes we get comfy with who we have and they know our history but this is your life. Maybe someone else out there has answers for you.

I hope the stretching works and all is better on Monday!

I will keep you in my prayers.

Yes, It couldn't hurt to get another experts opinion. I'm sure there are people on this site that can recommend another Doctor.

I am so sorry that you are having such a terrible experience. I really can not give any advice as I do not know what you are going through. I do know one other person that had a similar type of problem with vomiting almost all the time. Her sleeve was not made correctly and extremely narrow on one end. They used an endoscopy and stretched it out and after that she did not have the same problem. So the stent might work. But I would also consider a second opinion before going through with a bypass. Although I really do understand of how much help it would be, just the idea of all the additional problems it can cause would make me hesitant (dumping, Vitamin deficiencies, etc)

I am praying for you for a resolution to your issues and a quick recovery.

I'm sorry that u r in so much pain and discomfort. Hopefully the stent works and quickly remedies the problem. I hope that u can soon begin to heal. Wishing u a speedy recovery!

Sent from my iPhone using VST

Hope you feel better soon :(

Thank you again for your thoughts and warm wishes...

The stent was removed today and for some crazy reason I asked them to save me the stent :-)

Still heavily medicated - was able to drink about 12 oz of apple juice today. Let's see how the upcoming days go. I'm hoping this is the beginning of the healing process. I also found out i had Clostridium Difficile - which is a virus in my stool.

No other major procedures without a second opinion.

My dad had a bout with c. Diff this past summer. It's not something to play with. It had him hospitalized for 2 weeks. I'm glad you were able to keep some juice down!!