Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Update on my surgery with Dr. Garcia!

Hey everyone! I just wanted to update everyone on my experience so far. I know on the roll call there were some questions about the Marriott, so I will start there. We arrived on 1/21 and everyone was very helpful, I DID opt to give them my credit card number to hold for incidentals, but I believe this was optional. My total bill for the first night was $27, and that included Internet for my mom (the complimentary code is only good for me device, and I wanted her to be able to use her iPad as well), my moms room service Breakfast ($13) of an omelet, fruit plate, toast, coffee, and orange juice, and my mom buying a soda from the mini bar later that night. I didn't think $27 was unreasonable for all that.

Make sure to bring lots of $1 & $5 for tipping bell man, room service, and drivers. I tipped the drivers $5 per trip and bell man $3, room service tips obviously depend on the amount of your bill. We were instructed to be in the lobby at 10:15 am on 1/22 to go to the hospital (MiDoctor). The shuttle was very punctual and it only took us about 5-7 minutes to get there. Once inside we came to the third floor administration to turn in paperwork and were brought to our rooms. I used Ready 4 a Change and Melissa was waiting for us as soon as we got here. She is adorable and EVERYONE has been so friendly and helpful!

The only bad thing was that they couldn't get my IV in...and tried twice which hurt like hell. But Dr. velasco said they would just do it in the ERnafter I was put to sleep (fine by me!). The phlebotomist who took my blood draw was VERY good. I barely felt the stick. And she wore latex gloves the entire time. All of the nurses have been wearing gloves and using the hand sanitizer at the nurses station, I have seen them use is before entering each room.

Dr. Cabrera was awesome! So warm and friendly...and good looking, great personality! We walked me through everything regarding anesthesia. Dr. Garcia and Dr. Champos were more amazing then I could have hoped for. They were both soooo nice and patient. Dr. Champos speaks slightly better English, but I had no trouble at all understanding Dr. Garcia.

They took me in for surgery at 3pm and I was back in my room by 5pm, after spending a while in OR recovery. It took a while for the grogginess from the anesthesia to wear off and I had a good bit of gas sitting in my chest between my breasts that was REALLY uncomfortable. Felt like an elephant was sitting there. I walked the wing twice last night which really helped! I started burping gas up almost immediately. And today I have very little to no gas pain.

One this I have noticed is that the nurses here are very respectful. My assigned night nurse Dania was quiet as a mouse when she came in throughout the night to changensalinenbags and pain meds. She quietly asked me ow I was doing sodas not to wake my mom or disturb me too much from my sleepiness. I really appreciated it.

I also was able to make it the bathroom to pee on my own several times through the night, which I took as a good sign. I woke up early this morning (7ish) and am feeling really really good. No pain really at all. Took a long walk around the wing and am now settled back in bed. Think I might take a nap and then they are going to come help me shower. Looks like I will be doing the upper GI later today and then they will start me on ice chips as lngmas that comes back clear!

I will be sure to keep everyone posted through this thread as the week progresses!

Lauren

good luck!! thanks for posting this because i am going in two weeks and it is great to know what to expect!

Glad all is well and well wishes to you!

Hooray for you. I'm so glad everything went well.

Amanda Rae

Glad all is well. Keep resting and walking.

Glad everything is going good for you! And thank you for the details, very reassuring that we made the right choice!!! 3.5weeks till I'm there!!!

Yay! First step to a brand new life!

It's great to hear all is well with you. I am going in on Monday. Let's stay strong!

So here are some more details...and I had to laugh at loud at all my typos in the first post, haha! I forgot to add that last night they brought me some sleeping medicine by request, I think you have to ask for it, they don't just bring it. It knocked me out...but it also gave me my first experience of the foamies. I guess I had to learn what a sip really is...when people say sip they literally mean like a tiny baby kitten. Was didn't vomit, but sure felt like I could. I had the same experience when I brushed my teeth this morning, even tough I didn't swallow anything. Started foaming really badly and then got some strong hiccups.

I did the upper GI earlier this morning which wasn't bad at all. You drink this clear sweet stuff. Don't be worried about it. If you can't finish the whole cup that's okay! Came back upstairs and have been doing laps in the wing ever 90 minutes. Come back to my rom and do breathing exercise and then take a nap :). Quite the life, haha! They gave me ice chips around 1:30 which felt so Good on my dry tounge. And the heparin shot, which you barely feel, the needle is very tiny! They also give you levaquin through your IV to stave off any chance of infection. A few minutes ago they brought me three medicine cups of liquid (yeah!). One blue Gatorade, one iced tea, and one apple juice. I've only made it through about half of the Gatorade and I feel full. The nurse says that good, and just take my time with them. At this rate I will probably drink them all night!

I really can't say enough about how pleased I am with the care here. Everyone is SO nice. And if you need anything they come right in. I will be honest though, I am very friendly and polite too, so that might be helping as well. There hasn't been too much of a language barrier so far with any of the nurses, although some do speak much better English that others (my day nurse and I just finished a lengthy chat about our love of the show Glee if that gives you any indication :) )

My mom was also telling my dad how impressed she is with the care...she was very nervous initially. Speaking of phone calls...ach nurse station has a phone you can use anytime to make international calls. There is also an 800 number for the hospital that your friends and family can call and will be transferred to your room. Wifi is working great and I have been face timing multiple times a day with my husband and son back home. I'll be doing the blue dye test at 6 pm tonight and then drain comes out shortly there after. I will continue adding details as time goes on! Glad this helping everyone. Also user MikeRoss is here with me and he is doing great! He is on the 4th floor and I am n the 3rd, but they took me upstairs to check n m since he is traveling alone. He said "this whole surgery wasn't nearly as bad as he expected" and he to is very pleased with his care so far.

Armywife thank you, glad all is well..I need you to find one thing out for me please is there an,#800 at the marriot that families can call? I promise, I understand I am polite as well, nurses usually love me....again glad is well!

Armywife29, I am glad to hear that your surgery went well and recovery is going well also. I will be there on the 26th of next month and I follow the treads daily to see how everyone else is making out on their journey. I pray that you are able to rest and recouperate. Congratulations on taking this major life changing step towards a better you!

I'm loving all the detail you are giving us! Totally putting my mind at ease. I will be there Feb 25th. Keep us updated and I'm glad your recovery is going so well :)

So love hearing that our Forum family members are doing great... Keep the updates coming... I will be there in March!! Glad your doing well!!

This might sound gross but I have a photo of my removed stomach that Dr. Garcia took for me...if anyone is interested PM me you email address and I will forward it to you :). It's not really disgusting...more shocking really!