Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

No C-PAP Machine Following Surgry

When I had my preop visit yesterday and found out I can't use my c-pap machine for 2 weeks after surgery. Has anyone else been told that? I am very dependent on it and the few times in the past few years I haven't been able to use it for some reason I am really messed up the next day so the thought of not using it for 2 weeks is making me very worried.. Just wondering if anyone else had this problem and if using oxygen might be an option? If it is I might check with my doctor tomorrow. My surgery is Tuesday.

When I had my preop visit yesterday and found out I can't use my c-pap machine for 2 weeks after surgery. Has anyone else been told that? I am very dependent on it and the few times in the past few years I haven't been able to use it for some reason I am really messed up the next day so the thought of not using it for 2 weeks is making me very worried.. Just wondering if anyone else had this problem and if using oxygen might be an option? If it is I might check with my doctor tomorrow. My surgery is Tuesday.

Hi I was told to bring my CPAP to hospital when I forgot they gave me their own . I used it even the night after getting my surgery so it sounds strange to me???

Sent from my iPhone using VST

I wore mine almost the whole afternoon after surgery as I was still very sleepy and in and out of it. It also helped somewhat with the dry mouth. My Dr and hospital made definite instructions to bring it as it was not an option to go without. It's sound very strange to me.

It has to do with the pressure of the air I believe.

I was told to bring mine to the hospital. Wore it everyday after til I lost the weight.

The air goes in your lungs or out your mouth...I'm not sure how it could hurt?

Have to admit that is the first time I have ever heard of anyone being told they couldn't use CPAP post op. Like the others I took my machine to the hospital with me and they put it on me before I even woke up after surgery. But as in all things every surgeon has there own ways. Good Luck.

I find that odd. I had 2 surgeries in the last 6 months and had to take my cpap to the hospital both times. I wore it practically nonstop for the first 16 hours post op at the hospital.

Now I am 10 weeks post op and just saw my sleep doctor last week. He is having me continue using it for 6 more months and then we will do another sleep study and see where things stand then.

Did you surgeon say no or did the hospital tell you no? Hmm, I think you are right to question this.

There are many people involved in this surgery. There's the physician's own nurses, the nurses in the OR, the anesthesiologist, the doctors and nurses in recovery, the nurses and residents on the hospital floors, and even the people who do scheduling. I've found that more than once, their instructions don't always agree.

It's understandable, it's a large set of people involved. It happens. It's just strange to hear someone told NOT to bring their machine.

CPAP is very important, especially if your pressure is high. I think you should call your surgeon, and if you can't get a hold of him, call your primary (or whoever prescribed the CPAP), or call the anesthesiologist. Ask to speak to the doctor, not to another member of the staff. Get it from the horse's mouth.

And even if they all say no? I'd still bring it to the hospital.

I was told the same thing by my Dr., so I just inclined my bed a little and stuck it out for 10 days after surgery. It wasn't too bad and I would have sworn I would not have been able to sleep at all without it! I did try using it 5 days after surgery and it was very uncomfortable but now 2 weeks out I am back on it and sleeping as before.

I was told the same thing by my Dr.

Can you tell us why it was recommended you not use your CPAP? I'm racking my brain trying to think of a reason. I'm no doctor, just curious.

I was told to bring mine. Same with previous recent surgical procedures.

Amanda Rae

I was told that they will put it on in recovery to have it there when I get to the hospital.

I've heard this before, but it seems counterintuitive. I was told to do deep breathing exercises after surgery, the CPAP in essence does just that while you sleep.< /p>

I was nevr told not to use my CPAP. BUt now that you mentioned it I do have this pressure thing in my ears a popping sound as if you were on and airplane.