Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need help guys urgent

Yesterday I had regular coffee from Ms Donald's without sugar instead of Decaf I actually forgot while ordering it as I was on the phone.. I am freaking out I am 8 days post op.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using VST

You would probably know by now if it irritated your sleeve. Also, I hear the reason why they don't want you having caffeine is because it's an appetite stimulant. There are lots of people on here who drink coffee. Just avoid it from now on- no harm done.

-Kendra

If it hasn't killed you yet, it likely won't :P

And they say caffeine is a diuretic and can cause trouble with dehydration.

But one cup isn't something to be concerned about.

A few weeks ago I picked my one-mug-a-day back up, without guilt or worry. But I'm 10 months out. However, I did drink Click caffeinated Protein Drinks throughout the early days, and the caffeine did not kill me. It was not off limits by my doctor's rules. I used the Click to get extra Protein simultaneously with the caffeine. Got sick of it, went back to real coffee. Love it, just once a day.

I think the only mistake you made was buying your coffee from McDonalds :)

But seriously I stopped for awhile but now we just buy I pack of regular Beans and one pack of Decaf beans and mix them..

Each physician has his/her own set of post-op instructions. I was allowed to drink caffeinated coffee from day 7, the same time I could add milk to my diet. I've been having about three-quarter's of a mug of coffee every morning for the past 28 days without incident.

You won't die, most likely. ;)

Just pay attention next time, your stomach might hurt. If you are really concerned about it go ahead and call your surgeon.

My Dr allows regular coffee once you're out of the hospital as long as you are staying hydrated. That's the main concern with caffeine.

Don't freak OUT!!! It's ok, again, as previously posted, every Dr's set of post-op instructions differs, I was allowed coffee (but I only drink mine with sugar & lots of flavored creamer) so I avoid it now.

You'll be fine. If in doubt, please call your dr's office and/or NUT.

coffee has been allowed since the day I left the hospital. I haven't drank any, only a small drink of my husbands cold coffee just to get the taste.

I would say, be sure to drink a little extra Water to compensate for the diuretic effect. :)

I had coffee the morning I was allowed liquids in the hospital- I was also allowed tea. My doc is pretty strict about things as well. You would know by now if something was going to cause issue!

I think you will be ok - take an antacid, and avoid MCDonalds coffee!!!! It is really acidic. I drink coffee ALOT, from all over the world, and mcDonalds (pre-surgery) gave me heartburn.

One other suggestion: ditch morning drive thru! Alot of people here have stories to tell that start " I didnt eat the drive through/fast food for so long, but one morning I was getting (juice/coffee/milk/tea, etc) and then I ordered (fill in greasy, trans fat, and habitual eating)"

:(

Ya I had coffee in the hospital 2 days after surgery your all good lol :)

Yep nothing to worry about... In fact yes caffeine is a diuretic but the amount of caffeine in an average cup of coffee would eliminate less Water than there is in that same cup so it works out just fine.

My doc was the same, prefer you stay away from caffeine but will allow it after 7 days. Relax and don't sweat it.

Yesterday I had regular coffee from Ms Donald's without sugar instead of Decaf I actually forgot while ordering it as I was on the phone.. I am freaking out I am 8 days post op.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using VST

Your fine just drink more Water.