Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just a note about blood clots. They're a possibility of this surgery. So are other complications. A lot of people are second guessing having this surgery because someone on this forum died. Well guess what. Being fat has a lot of complications too. People die every day from heart attacks, strokes, diabetes, and sleep apnea.

It's terrible what happened to lifesaveremt, and my heart is heavy for his family. But I personally know three different people who died in the last two years, who were younger than 50, and all three were a result of being obese. Don't let hearing about one person's misfortune sway you from getting healthy, ~especially~ if you have a high BMI.

I don't have any statistics, but I'd venture to guess that my 5 year mortality rate as a guy with a bmi of 47.5 is worse than my mortality rate as a guy having this surgery and significantly lowering my bmi, even factoring in death as a possible complication of surgery. My bmi is now already down to 44.5. It will keep going down month after month as I get healthier. As my bmi goes down, so does my risk for all of those fat-person co-morbidities that would eventually kill me. It's something to keep in perspective when we hear of a fatality due to surgery.

Good luck to all the March sleevers!

My grandma died in 1980 after the Gastric Bypass, from a bloodclot. I thought they had preventative measures against that now?

As of today im 1 week post op. My grand total weight loss is 11 pounds :)

Congratulations!

I didn't want to post this while Ty he group was still reacting to the loss of lifesavermt.

Yesterday marked 1 week on my pre-op liquid diet.

I found that I have lost 13 lbs this last week! I'm sooooexcited.

As of today im 1 week post op. My grand total weight loss is 11 pounds :)

Im not down much...hard when the scale at home said one thing before I left, another when they weighed me there, then I blew up swollen from all the IV fluids & def gained which they say its pretty common, now Im down a few...I was 230 when I started preop diet 2 weeks ago tomorrow & today, 1 day shy of a week post op (3/13 surg) I'm only down 15. Im a band to sleever & I heard we lose slower than a virgin sleever. I wont compare & be blessed I was even able to have this revision. It will all work out the way it's supposed to in time. Congrats to those with great loses & to those who havent, know u just went thru major surgery & there prob was lots of fluids & every single person's body works differently. Keep on schedule following the eating directions & im confident we will all be Big Losers! Xox

~Sarah

I'm 4 days post-op and feeling better every day. The pain is minimal and trying to get my liquids in daily. Today my nector lemon ice tea comes in so that will help with liquids and Protein. Good luck to all the new sleevers today!!!

Let me know how this is when you get it???!!

I ordered the variety pack because I wanted to see what I liked then order a lot of it, I am more of a "clear protein" kind of person, unless I am in the mood for "dessert"...then I may have to find a good chocolate protein!

Today's the big day for me....I'm scheduled for 1330... I don't feel nervous ' date=' scared or anything "yet"

However I am a little emtional because....I'm going to miss the woman I've seen in the mirror for the last 15 years. Yes I absolutely want to get down to a healthy smaller size NOT SKINNY, but I've gotten use to this woman and forced myself to be comfortable and love the skin I was in.....?will I feel way looking in the mirror 6 months from now? Only time will tell.[/quote']

Best wishes sunshine!

Hey all my March sleever buddies. Sorry I have been away. I am almost two weeks post op now and have lost 19 lbs. Already feeling like a new woman.

Regarding the poor gentleman who lost his life due to blood clots. Everyone, don't let that sway you please. If you have a good surgeon and staff, they will make sure you are safe. Just do exactly what they tell you and you will be fine.

Good luck to all.

Hey everyone things with my dad have settled down a bit with my dad, he's back at AA meetings and been to the Dr so fingers crossed we're on the right road.

I am proud of myself I've managed to keep calm and also stick to the preop diet and lost 12lbs in 1 week! Really proud and motivated.

Really awful to hear of Lifesaveremt passing away. Life's pretty unfair sometimes. All I can hope is that the odds are in my favour and weigh up the odds of living a longer, happier life after having the op.

Hey all! I've lurked and liked a lot but haven't posted in a while. I was successfully sleeved Tues 3/12.

I went home the next day. I have been doing great! The first few days was pretty routine : wake up, use my "breathing game" as my boys call it, walk around my house at least 15 minutes (I worked in loads more to include light chores and lifting 3lb weights), sip on my Water the whole while, take more psin meds, sleep for a few hours, repete. By the weekend I was awake more, moving more, and drinking more including my Protein.

Yesterday I went a full day with out pain meds. And today I drove! ;) I took myself to the store so I could buy some things for the pureed stage. I also met my friend for "lunch" and got a few things for Easter. I'm having my one week follow up now (in the waiting room). And boy am I glad because the incision sites are getting itchy! No other symptoms though so I think I may be allergic to the strips.

Anyhow, I know there's a lot of anxiety and excitement that goes along with this surgery. Especially in light of the tragic passing of lifesaveremt. But let me just say this, we all know there are risks. Shoot one could die from a blood clot that broke free while flying. Everyday we live there is risk. Everyday we are dying. For me, it's a matter of how can I live the fullest life possible in whatever time I have. Despite my best efforts there were lots of things that my "fat self" prohibited me from doing. I have been on a mission to break away from the chains that hold/held me back.

I started my pre op liquid diet at 258.6. Today I weigh 235.1.

This will take work and it involves risks but to have much you must risk much...nothing ventured nothing gained. There so much I want to gain....

My health back

The ability to run, jump, bend, etc without knee pain

Confidence in myself and so I mo longer feel ashamed for looking this way

The ability and desire to go dancing, shopping, traveling, etc with my friends and family

What's in it for you? What are you going to gain?

I've lost 17 lbs since I had my surgery 3/6. I was home on the 7th & driving agin the following Monday. I'm not doing well with the Protein Shakes they're too thick for me. Freezing them & thawing it waters it down some' date=' so it helps.

My 1st post op is today & I'm ready to go back to work! Best of luck to you[/quote']

I have my surgery in the am but try lean shake from GNC not as thick as others but yummy

Half of the month of March is gone,How is everyone doing?my surgery was March 4th.and I am doing fabulous,hope each and everyone doing and feeling like I do.....

Blood clots are a reality of ANY surgery. You wouldn't let a risk of blood clot stop you from having life saving heart surgery if you needed it would you? Its a risk' date=' but as pepperpaul said, being obese is the bigger risk here.[/quote']

So true...and when I had my emergency C-section, I couldn't even walk around it hurt so much! I'm glad that when I'm sleeved (3/29), I will be required to walk every four hours to prevent clots.

I have to admit that I was saddened and scared about the recent news, but I know a couple of people that have had dangerous or fatal clots without recent surgery, so I will pray and press on! I'll be praying for all of you as well <3

Sunshine, one of the major things that I noticed is that i don't swell/retain Water since the surgery! It's amazing! I used to be puffy & if i wore socks, i'd have the imprint on my shins for hours after taking them off. After surgery, that went away completely!

Regarding the blood thinners, i now know why he canceled them for me - i'm allergic to beef & the heparin has beef in it. Who knew! :)

To all, i was sleeved on 3/13 & i am feeling good. I lost 7 pounds on my week of pre-op & i have lost another 7.5 since then. I feel that that is pretty good for me as i tend to be a slow loser...but then i read about people who have lost more than me in that timeframe & they are disappointed & think their weight loss is too slow, which really bums me out & does a number on my head!!! I know we are all different. I just start to panic & worry that i wont lose anymore weight! I'm having a mini meltdown today about that. Today is the first day that the scale didn't go down!! Other than that, everything is good. ;-)

To all, i was sleeved on 3/13 & i am feeling good. I lost 7 pounds on my week of pre-op & i have lost another 7.5 since then. I feel that that is pretty good for me as i tend to be a slow loser...but then i read about people who have lost more than me in that timeframe & they are disappointed & think their weight loss is too slow, which really bums me out & does a number on my head!!! I know we are all different. I just start to panic & worry that i wont lose anymore weight! I'm having a mini meltdown today about that. Today is the first day that the scale didn't go down!! Other than that, everything is good. ;-)

Hey! It's a marathon, not a sprint. Right?