Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A quick google search found this study' date=' which is essentially what my doc said : http://doctorsofweightloss.com/can-the-sleeve-be-a-metabolic-procedure-5645

I make no assertions as to its validity, but I like it! And I will continue to do some research.[/quote']

So they sleeved RATS???? I find that hilarious. Thanks for that link. I'm gonna have to study it a bit further.

A quick google search found this study' date=' which is essentially what my doc said : http://doctorsofweightloss.com/can-the-sleeve-be-a-metabolic-procedure-5645

I make no assertions as to its validity, but I like it! And I will continue to do some research.[/quote']

It doesn't say how....only that it may. It does give me a starting point though. I'm going to have to look into this docs research more. I would love to find some more info on that seminar he gave. It does say one interesting thing...that the rats chose to eat less fattening foods on their own. Perhaps because they realized very quickly that they had less capacity for food, and that wasting that precious capacity on unhealthy food left them feeling worse. While eating the high Protein food left them feeling better. I don't know, that's just a theory on my part, but it's based on how we (animals) learn new behaviors. And that's basically how I always viewed this post sleeve process to ideally work. Eat better, feel better....eat crap, feel crappy.

Thanks for the link.

I would respectfully have to dissagree. I believe the study to be inherently flawed. The simple fact that a surgery that does nothing except limit ones ability to consume food in the quantities that we once did yet produces the weight loss that we seek proves that it truly is a simple calories in vs calories burned equation.

I respectfully have to disagree science have proven it years of studies and data went into it for them to reach this conclusion.the surgery takes part of the stomach out that produces chemical that send hunger signals to brain.Obviously eod its simple calories in vs calories burned equation but a lot more goes into it. If it was that easy no one would be going thru the surgery there r greater factors here than just simple will power.You remind me of my arrogant cousins who r super skinny eat all day do no work out but always had something to say to me even though I used to eat much less than them they had faster metabolism and genetics played big hand in it.I went thru every diet possible , hypnotism even went to 2 month weight loss yoga retreat ate only boiled food but gained all the weight back because I am human and it takes more than will power to continue eating boiled food or no carbs for the rest of my life when my brain is telling me I'm starving my body is doing the same it's a constant struggle . Surgery does more than just limiting our food intake . It's change our taste . Our brain is not getting hunger signal all the time hell I stopped taking insulin and BP meds only after 9 days.

Btw I might be wrong along with 100 of other people on this form . My humble request is why don't you enlighten with your facts. I am sure these researchers and most of us patients don't know any better and by the way of it you sound like an expert . It will be very kind of you to post your research here and show us the way.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using VST

It's does change Type 2 diabetes nearly overnight and we all know diabetes is a metabolic condition therefore I agree it very much resets our metabolic rate. Right?

In addition to significantly and effectively treating obesity, patients who undergo bariatric surgery experience complete resolution or significant improvement of obesity related health conditions and metabolic disorders. Specifically in patients with diabetes; previously considered chronic and irreversible, metabolic surgery can induce complete remission of diabetes, resulting in discontinuation of insulin therapy or oral hypoglycaemic agents.

It was originally thought that these conditions resolved themselves due to weight loss; however research confirms that metabolic surgery corrects the abnormal metabolism. In fact, surgeons are now looking at the potential use of bariatric and metabolic surgery as a primary treatment for metabolic syndromes in obese individuals.

In a recent review article in the Journal of the American Medical Association

I'm fat ... rathers its genetics or an obsession/addiction... lack of willpower... I'm having surgery... get the f*ck over it.

I like your straight to the point approach ... ;)

My gastroenterologist told me the sleeve surgery is very different as the majority of the stomach--where lots of those hormones are made-- is removed. He said my metabolism will basically be reset' date=' so long as I follow the post surgical directions. As someone who was on weight watchers for three years, lost 40 lbs in the first year, then lost zero in second and third years, my metabolism needs a reset.

This surgery, according to my Gastro, will allow me to change my life.[/quote']

Your doctor is 100% right

Sleeve Gastrectomy and Ghrelin - How Does SG Cause Weight Loss?

Ghrelin is a hormone produced by the parietal cells in the stomach. Higher ghrelin levels are associated with increased hunger and higher food consumption. The levels of ghrelin change depending on the type of weight loss surgery. For example, one study found that plasma ghrelin levels are down-regulated with laparoscopic SG operation but up-regulated with laparoscopic adjustable gastric banding (LAGB) operation.

In this study, SG resulted in reduction of plasma ghrelin levels, which remained at low levels throughout the entire 5-year follow-up. The reduction of ghrelin after SG is expected because the ghrelin-producing tissue in the stomach is almost completely removed in SG. As Bohdjalian explains, this decrease in ghrelin levels may be the reason for the excellent weight loss success after SG.

Conclusion

Although a small percentage of patiets who undergo SG may need re-operation due to inadequate weight loss - a possible reason for that being gastric dilation - SG is considered equal to LAGB, RYGB and BPD in terms of popularity and efficacy of weight loss. SG is no longer reserved for only the high-risk patients. as it used to. Being a strictly restrictive proceduire, SG has a great advantage over the more invasive and malabsorptive procedures: It is less likely that it will lead to Vitamin and mineral deficiencies which are common to bypass procedures such as RYGB and BPD.

It's does change Type 2 diabetes nearly overnight and we all know diabetes is a metabolic condition therefore I agree it very much resets our metabolic rate. Right?

:)

Chemical vs. Mental? I think both sides are spot on. Forced Portion Control. Chemical changes affecting physical hunger and our metabolic rate.

But it doesn't cure food addiction or "head hunger". That's on us to address and overcome.

Amanda Rae

I respectfully have to disagree science have proven it years of studies and data went into it for them to reach this conclusion.the surgery takes part of the stomach out that produces chemical that send hunger signals to brain.Obviously eod its simple calories in vs calories burned equation but a lot more goes into it. If it was that easy no one would be going thru the surgery there r greater factors here than just simple will power.You remind me of my arrogant cousins who r super skinny eat all day do no work out but always had something to say to me even though I used to eat much less than them they had faster metabolism and genetics played big hand in it.I went thru every diet possible ' date=' hypnotism even went to 2 month weight loss yoga retreat ate only boiled food but gained all the weight back because I am human and it takes more than will power to continue eating boiled food or no carbs for the rest of my life when my brain is telling me I'm starving my body is doing the same it's a constant struggle . Surgery does more than just limiting our food intake . It's change our taste . Our brain is not getting hunger signal all the time hell I stopped taking insulin and BP meds only after 9 days.

Btw I might be wrong along with 100 of other people on this form . My humble request is why don't you enlighten with your facts. I am sure these researchers and most of us patients don't know any better and by the way of it you sound like an expert . It will be very kind of you to post your research here and show us the way.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using VST[/quote']

I agree with some of what you said, although the gherlin removal is only partial and it doesn't end hunger for everyone. Gherlin levels have also been shown to increase after 1 year post op, along with the capacity to eat making long term maintenance a whole other challenge.

But your tone, especially while talking to a forum moderator who has lost his weight the smart way and helped many hundreds of people on this forum, is downright disrespectful. You don't have to bow down to anybody, but you ought to give respect where it is due and OTR is due way more respect than you are giving. You can disagree with someone without that attitude.

I don't think people come to this forum to read medical research and case histories....there are better websites for that than VST. They come here to get real world experiences from people who are going through or have gone through the same things. People are constantly seeking the advice and suggestions of vets who are 1, 2 or 3 years out from surgery. But I can count on one hand all those 3 year vets that are still hanging around. And why should they hang around when someone who has just had surgery attacks them like this and acts like he already knows everything....but just 2 days ago you drank a cup of coffee and then made a post to the forum because he didn't know what to do. It's clear from your posts you don't know everything but are trying to learn. That's great. But don't get so smug and sarcastic to the few people around here that are in the position to teach you something like OTR.

Just something helpful for those of you who like me are tired of banging your head against the wall each time someone post something new here:

Click on your name at the top of the page.

select "content I follow"

See where it says toggle options? click that and you'll see little check boxes

Choose this topic and click on the check box

scroll down to the bottom of the page and choose unfollow this topic.

and VOILA. you don't have keep having this topic come up in your notifications anymore.

Exactly what I did a few days ago and IM GLAD I DID.

WOW.

I don't think people come to this forum to read medical research and case histories....there are better websites for that than VST. They come here to get real world experiences from people who are going through or have gone through the same things. People are constantly seeking the advice and suggestions of vets who are 1' date=' 2 or 3 years out from surgery. But I can count on one hand all those 3 year vets that are still hanging around. And why should they hang around when someone who has just had surgery attacks them like this and acts like he already knows everything....but just 2 days ago you drank a cup of coffee and then made a post to the forum because he didn't know what to do. It's clear from your posts you don't know everything but are trying to learn. That's great. But don't get so smug and sarcastic to the few people around here that are in the position to teach you something like OTR.

[/quote']

Seems like you r trolling my every post .... Get a life mate just putting the facts out there.

I need to get off this forum bc this is just getting annoying!!!! whoooo caressssss