Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Perhaps it’s a good thing for people considering this surgery to be scared, perhaps this will motivate those who are on the fence and ill-informed to do their due-diligence. It’s always important to know the good and the bad of any surgery. On this forum everyone should be allowed to share his/her gastric sleeve story no matter how scary or uneventful it may be.

I have been grateful for the horror stories. I am in the process of losing 17# to be approved for the sleeve. They do scare me and I think I should be scared. This is a life changing surgery with risks that need to be considered. If someone out in the real world has an opinion to have the surgery because they watched someone they love come close to death...I would say I'm so sorry, try and comfort them, and move on with my surgery based off the reasons I have decided to have it.

It's crazy to me that we would treat people different here because we are anonymous.

I feel after surgery I will be that much more vigilant to watch out for scary symptoms because of these posts.

Thanks to all of you who post your stories...good and bad. They are all helpful!

I actually appreciate the horror stories. It helps identify things to watch out for and additional questions to ask. I do think a lot of folks enter into these types of surgeries very lightly and knowing all the consequences is never a bad thing. It may be rare, but it can be horrible.

I feel that knowing and hearing of the negatives will keep me healthier in the long run.

And that's fine with me I have my doubts regarding the motive of this person also this person never logged in and commented after posting they only have 1 post. It bothered me what this person wrote at the end of the post basically telling people not to go thru it. All the surgeries have risks and its our job to look and study about all pros and cons.Unfortunately I don't agree that if you are scared the surgery is not for you everyone is different . But this surgery is for everyone who is tired of yo yo dieting ' date=' tired of being diabetic , high BP , sleep apnea , back pains this surgery is a life saver and a life changer......you might be one of the people like me who is strong minded and doesn't get influenced easily but then there are people who just need a little push who know the risks but are scared then they read a story and in the end the person is telling them don't get that surgery well a few people might not have 6 months to live they finally made their mind but now are having doubts again because of this post .... It doesn't mean people shouldn't post their exp but to me the sole purpose of the post is to scare people

Sent from my iPhone 5 using VST[/quote']

Huh you don't even have a pic up who are lol

Just something helpful for those of you who like me are tired of banging your head against the wall each time someone post something new here:

Click on your name at the top of the page.

select "content I follow"

See where it says toggle options? click that and you'll see little check boxes

Choose this topic and click on the check box

scroll down to the bottom of the page and choose unfollow this topic.

and VOILA. you don't have keep having this topic come up in your notifications anymore.

Lol this thread sure brought out the mentals.

Wow crazy how someone's Horror Story turned into a huge debacle between believers and non believers.I have to admit I am skeptical when it comes to either extreme when someone tells their story.I am neither a fan of too much sunshine and rainbows or hellfire and brimstone I generally think the truth tends to be somewhere in between in most cases.That being said we are all here for support at least I know that is why I come here and personal attacks on people whether we agree with their opinions or not is not being supportive:) When I was new on the forum I allowed myself to be drawn into a couple of counter productive arguments until I realized it was exactly that. I appreciate coming on here and seeing people share their differing points of view without malice. I can see how some of this thread will be good for newbies doing their research but some of it not so much...but that is just my $0.02 Can't we all just get along ;)

What happened to your sister was awful, and for a leak to go unnoticed for that long is rare. But it's a risk you concentrate to when you sign all of the paperwork. Also, your sisters story reiterates the fact that you don't just jump into this blind. It's VERY important to find a surgeon who you trust and who you know will listen to you. I'm 3 days post op with the worlds best surgeon and I'm not worried a bit that something like that will ever go unnoticed.

Wtf.... well I at least killed a whole day reading this nonsence. It was almost as good as Maury! Didn't your mothers teach u if u have nothing nice to say.... don't say anything at all

Butterbean I am using it very correctly iggy and her posse are try to bully people.She have problems with anyone whose views don't match with here and you jumped in telling me I only joined 4 days ago so I shouldn't say anything...

Sent from my iPhone 5 using VST

Read what the moderator just said!!!!!!!!

I have been grateful for the horror stories. I am in the process of losing 17# to be approved for the sleeve. They do scare me and I think I should be scared. This is a life changing surgery with risks that need to be considered. If someone out in the real world has an opinion to have the surgery because they watched someone they love come close to death...I would say I'm so sorry' date=' try and comfort them, and move on with my surgery based off the reasons I have decided to have it.

It's crazy to me that we would treat people different here because we are anonymous.

I feel after surgery I will be that much more vigilant to watch out for scary symptoms because of these posts.

Thanks to all of you who post your stories...good and bad. They are all helpful![/quote']

Jen I think you're moving forward with a healthy respect for the process, and yes a healthy fear as well. We should all fear any major surgery...and then use that to help us plan for it. I think you're going to do great!!!! Best of luck.

I think this kind of story (and the opinions which are interjected) is THE reason that many people perceive WLS as the easy way out. Many people have replied and compared the risk of WLS to the risk of having a life saving heart procedure, etc. When an individual is morbidly obese and can not fully enjoy life, they need a life saving procedure. These individuals are willing, aptly so, to take the risk. Without the risk, there is no benefit and no reward. And life would continue to pass by. An individual would never refuse to have a life saving heart procedure nor would those with opinions so harshly discourage surgery to fix the heart problem. So why do people feel so strongly about persuading those who are considering WLS to try another, less invasive and ineffective route. Would you encourage your loved one to try the same heart mediation that has not helped in the past? And watch them die? I think people need to be more understanding that if it were as easy as you say, why do we have an obesity epidemic? And why are so many looking towards WLS as a tool through which they gain their life back? food for thought; pun intended.

I think this kind of story (and the opinions which are interjected) is THE reason that many people perceive WLS as the easy way out. Many people have replied and compared the risk of WLS to the risk of having a life saving heart procedure' date=' etc. When an individual is morbidly obese and can not fully enjoy life, they need a life saving procedure. These individuals are willing, aptly so, to take the risk. Without the risk, there is no benefit and no reward. And life would continue to pass by. An individual would never refuse to have a life saving heart procedure nor would those with opinions so harshly discourage surgery to fix the heart problem. So why do people feel so strongly about persuading those who are considering WLS to try another, less invasive and ineffective route. Would you encourage your loved one to try the same heart mediation that has not helped in the past? And watch them die? I think people need to be more understanding that if it were as easy as you say, why do we have an obesity epidemic? And why are so many looking towards WLS as a tool through which they gain their life back? food for thought; pun intended.[/quote']

I think there are plenty of people who have this surgery to save their own life (like me), and then there are people who have this surgery to look good in skinny jeans. Big difference. But the real problem in my opinion are people who are ill prepared to have surgery but go through with it anyway. This forum is full of folks who either did not attempt to resolve any of their unhealthy food addictions or properly educate themselves on life after WLS. They have surgery and then say "what now?" They have no idea what they should eat, when or even if they should exercise....and worst of all, they have no clue what life will be like 12 months down the line. I blame them for not doing their research, but also the surgeons for sending people out into the world with this life altering surgery, and no idea how to take full advantage of it.

These are people that I might discourage from having WLS....at least until the proper work has been done.

I think this kind of story (and the opinions which are interjected) is THE reason that many people perceive WLS as the easy way out. Many people have replied and compared the risk of WLS to the risk of having a life saving heart procedure' date=' etc. When an individual is morbidly obese and can not fully enjoy life, they need a life saving procedure. These individuals are willing, aptly so, to take the risk. Without the risk, there is no benefit and no reward. And life would continue to pass by. An individual would never refuse to have a life saving heart procedure nor would those with opinions so harshly discourage surgery to fix the heart problem. So why do people feel so strongly about persuading those who are considering WLS to try another, less invasive and ineffective route. Would you encourage your loved one to try the same heart mediation that has not helped in the past? And watch them die? I think people need to be more understanding that if it were as easy as you say, why do we have an obesity epidemic? And why are so many looking towards WLS as a tool through which they gain their life back? food for thought; pun intended.[/quote']

I don't think comparing a WLS patient to a cardiac patient is really a good comparison. Being overweight is something that can be reversed, whereas heart blockages & other damage to the heart is most often irreversible. One surgery is a medical necessity, whereas the thre is elective.

The reason for most of our surgeries is because most of us lack the willpower to make a lasting lifestyle change without it. And, yes, WLS is the "easy" way out. That doesn't mean that it isn't without it's challenges, but for us, it is obviously easier than diet & exercise. We've proven over & over that that route is not within our ability it stick to.

I really don't understand why "the easy way" is perceived as a bad thing. I mean really, dont we all seek the path of least resistance in almost everything we do?