Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lots of pain almost 1 month post-op HELP

Hi,

I had a revision from lap band to VGS 1 month ago on Wednesday. I have been in severe pain the last 2 weeks. The pain is under my skin below my longest incision on the left side of my stomach. It was happening at night where the pain would wake me from my sleep, I was not even able to get out of bed bc anyway I move I was seeing stars. The pain is a burning pulling, double over type of pain. At first I thought it was my incision where they removed the port from the lap band and took out the rest of my stomach from the vsg. I saw my Dr last week and he said it was a muscle that was giving me so much pain. He suggested no more pain medication but Tylenol only. That lasted one day,

I can not bend over, walk, lie down or pretty much do anything because the pain is so severe. I am on percocet but take 2 pills of the 5/325 just to be comfortable right now I'm down to 2 more doses and these were my husbands from a prior surgery because I had no more left. I called my surgeons office this morning and told the receptionist how much pain I am in she said to go to the hospital if it was that bad, she also said she would leave a message with my surgeon but that he had 5 operations today. Has anyone had any type of this pain or complication post-op after vsg surgery? Nothing else is bothering me I've lost a little more than 10lbs since surgery (172). Does anyone have any info they can give me? Is this just a sore muscle? Has anyone else experienced this type of pain before? Will it go away or should I go to the hospital? ANY help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Samantha

I too had a revision from a band to a sleeve. The only time I had pain afer the initial period, was a few times on my left side when I was working out. You are doing the right thing by letting your surgeon know. I definately would go to ER and best if it the ER where you had surgery at. ER physicians are not always well versed in our needs, but at least there you have a better chance that they are and they would also have access to your bariatric team. Good luck and hope you feel better soon.

If you are having that much pain after a month, I might think about the hospital or urgent care and have it looked at, or go see your PCP. Severe pain for a month, regardless of the circumstances is not normal. Everyone is different, and it may be just the muscle as your surgeon suggests, but if it is making you uncomfortable, you should have it looked at. There are liquid pain killers that can be prescribed that does not affect your stomach. I did have some pain around where my drain was, but it was very manageable and got better daily. It was the last of my incisions that stopped hurting, but I expected that. Take care of it and get your self better okay? :)

I was sleeved on 12/ 14 and had severe pain for a few weeks (I missed Christmas). I still have pain on my right side however now I am more functional. I was in so much pain I fell Asleep in a rocking chair.

Percoet seemed to make it worse after it wore off, so I used a heating pad to relieve some of the pain and liquid tylenol. I used gas x to help relieve the pain as well. Hope this helps. Lee

From what I heard and have read these are signs of a possible leak. Please just go get checked. Do you have any other symptoms such as fevers?

I was allergic to the pain med. Loritab because of the alcohol in it. I didn't take anything after the first dose at home and had a reaction. The pain when I would get up off the couch was pretty bad on my right side on and around my larger incision. I also had a lump under it. I slept in a recliner for the first week because the pain was to bad to lay down. Walking hurt, standing was super painful and showering I shook the pain was so bad! No pain meds at all! I'm sure if would have taken the Norco they sent me on day 3 I might off been in less pain. So take your pain meds. At day 15 woke up and no pain!

I had do get out and do all my Christmas shopping so I had no time for pain... I was so tired but I did it. I definitely got my walking in!!

I'm 7 weeks Wednesday and I'm down 36 pounds and I feel great! Everyone has been saying how great I look, it feels wonderful!!

So pain is common, my Dr said that's where he takes a really big stitch. He said on the outside its an inch long but on the inside its a lot bigger, through mussels ect.

But call your bariatric team they will advise you what to do.

I am one week out and have no pain. This much pain almost one month later could be a sign of other issues. I don't think this is normal. Please call your doctor ASAP.

Call your Dr it can't hurt and it could A. Save your life and B. set your mind at ease.

Dont hesitate if your in so much pain. I'll be praying you call your DR. Feel better soon. Let us know how your doing. We care!

Dr appt wednesday..Thanks everyone

Thanks everyone for your replies, My surgeon called me and told me I should go to the ER. I slept most of the afternoon. I woke up a while ago with the dull sharp pain same place and its still there, still making me cry. I have no fever just that burning tugging feeling below my left incision line (its about 3~4" long). My hubby is discouraging me from going to the ER, saying it will go away on its own. I've been searching all over the web to see if anyone has these same symptom's- I see none at all.

I may go to the ER tonight after he goes to bed. I can not live in this much pain just by turning or getting off the couch, its too much. I'll keep you all posted. I'm hoping its just something that gets better with medicine and time.

Please don't delay. This is your health. If the doctor says go, go. Won't your husband rather you be safe than risking something worse. Good luck and prayers for the pain to go away.

I had revision. I have pain by where the port was if I move arm back while laying down, picking up some stuff...it helped at times if I put a pillow on opp side under stomach. But I'd get that checked my pain got better then I over did it and it began again so I'm thinking for me it's learning my limits but you sound like you are in constant pain

Thanks everyone for your replies' date=' My surgeon called me and told me I should go to the ER. I slept most of the afternoon. I woke up a while ago with the dull sharp pain same place and its still there, still making me cry. I have no fever just that burning tugging feeling below my left incision line (its about 3~4" long). My hubby is discouraging me from going to the ER, saying it will go away on its own. I've been searching all over the web to see if anyone has these same symptom's- I see none at all.

I may go to the ER tonight after he goes to bed. I can not live in this much pain just by turning or getting off the couch, its too much. I'll keep you all posted. I'm hoping its just something that gets better with medicine and time.[/quote']

Please keep us posted,hole you feel better.

I am only four days out but experiencing the same type of pain in the same location. My incision is about two inches long and is right beside the scar where my port for my band was (I had two separate procedures almost a year apart, one to remove the band and the other for the sleeve). I feel good in every other respect except for that intense, burning, pulling sensation underneath that incision. It is incredible how much it hurts. I called my surgeon today and spoke with his nurse and she said this was not an unusual side effect as long as there were no other side effects such as fever, heart palpitations, etc. She said some people feel the tugging sensation for weeks although the pain usually subsides after a week or two. Since you seem to still be in as much pain as you were previously, I would definitely consult with your surgeon or PCP. (believe it or not I came to this forum tonight looking for information on my pain as well).

For some reason that same incision you are speaking of is painful to me ,but my main concern is that I feel a lump under that area inside I was wondering if it's scar tissue.