Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New Member going to have surgery .....soon

Hi first time on a forum, but I've been reading so much, thought I should join and say hi. I live in PA, and am looking to have gastric sleeve surgery in Mexico on March 20. Not sure who I am getting it with yet, but I'm ready to take the plunge! Thinking Dr. Kelly or Dr. Garcia I hear great things from everyone on here. I am 5'2" and weight 182, even my husband doesn't know that! He's not really that supportive, but is ok with it. I am married with two kids aged 3 and 4. I lose any weight and it comes back double. And I don't want to go up anymore, and I want good habits and to do fun activities with my kids, thanks for getting to know me.

Hi Kristy,

Welcome to VST!! :)

Hi there! Welcome! At 5"2 and 182 lbs, you are technically obese but wanted to just have a quick girl chat with you on the sleeve. I hope you don't mind!!!! :)

I know the frustrations and what you are going through, and yes, I had the sleeve, but I started at a BMI of close to 39 and was still borderline. Now, most docs usually do the procedures if your BMI is over 35, and have a pre-existing health condition.

If you go to Mexco, yes, the rules are a bit more lucy goosey, and I saw a girl that height n weight get sleeved while I was in Mexico. However...the one thing I kept telling myself was that "Hey, I will lose the weight, then in a few years, my stomach will stretch a bit and I can take in some normal calories". Now, that was my own stupidity because the reality is, I am currently taking in 600-800 cals a day and will for life...if I can push it up to 1200 that would be ideal but I can tell you now, and almost 8 weeks out, igotta FORCE myself to eat each day.

It makes eating difficult, there is a LOT of planning and it is a huge step. I am completely not trying to talk you out of this, but for you, I might personally recommend (I am NOT a doc) doing the lapband....not as fast results but it can be removed and it isnt permanent...also, are you tracking calories on myfitnesspal or using a calorie counter right now? That helps as well.

I am sure you have probably tried it all and doing everything isuggested, but just in case..thought I would throw it out there.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

I just got sleeved Weighing 200 and I am 5'3. I was worried about the same thing , basically withering away lol. Actually people with lower bmi do not lose weight as fast as people with a higher bmi. My sister got the lap band and there is do many complications !!!! That's why I was against getting that. More docs are taking lap bands out and sleeving people because of all the complications. My friend was sleeved weighing 172 and she is fine a year later , good luck

Hi there! Welcome! At 5"2 and 182 lbs' date=' you are technically obese but wanted to just have a quick girl chat with you on the sleeve. I hope you don't mind!!!! :)

I know the frustrations and what you are going through, and yes, I had the sleeve, but I started at a BMI of close to 39 and was still borderline. Now, most docs usually do the procedures if your BMI is over 35, and have a pre-existing health condition.

If you go to Mexco, yes, the rules are a bit more lucy goosey, and I saw a girl that height n weight get sleeved while I was in Mexico. However...the one thing I kept telling myself was that "Hey, I will lose the weight, then in a few years, my stomach will stretch a bit and I can take in some normal calories". Now, that was my own stupidity because the reality is, I am currently taking in 600-800 cals a day and will for life...if I can push it up to 1200 that would be ideal but I can tell you now, and almost 8 weeks out, igotta FORCE myself to eat each day.

It makes eating difficult, there is a LOT of planning and it is a huge step. I am completely not trying to talk you out of this, but for you, I might personally recommend (I am NOT a doc) doing the lapband....not as fast results but it can be removed and it isnt permanent...also, are you tracking calories on myfitnesspal or using a calorie counter right now? That helps as well.

I am sure you have probably tried it all and doing everything isuggested, but just in case..thought I would throw it out there.

Good luck with whatever you decide![/quote']

I couldn't disagree more with this.

First off, at 8 weeks your stomach hasn't even come close to reaching its maximum capacity yet. That won't happen for at least a couple more months. Most reach full capacity somewhere between 6 & 12 months.

Secondly the lapband has a 60-70% failure rate in the first 5 years, and many surgeons are now saying that all lapbands will eventually fail. Furthermore the lapband continues to have risk for complications the entire time it is inside your body. If you believe the lapband is a good option for anybody, I'd recommend checking out our lapband to sleeve revision section. Don't think you'll find anyone there that would recommend the band either.

I couldn't disagree more with this.

First off, at 8 weeks your stomach hasn't even come close to reaching its maximum capacity yet. That won't happen for at least a couple more months. Most reach full capacity somewhere between 6 & 12 months.

Secondly the lapband has a 60-70% failure rate in the first 5 years, and many surgeons are now saying that all lapbands will eventually fail. Furthermore the lapband continues to have risk for complications the entire time it is inside your body. If you believe the lapband is a good option for anybody, I'd recommend checking out our lapband to sleeve revision section. Don't think you'll find anyone there that would recommend the band either.

My point is, I am never eating more than most likely 1200 calories. Ever. That is doctor recommended for maintenence. I think the poster should know that. I am forcing half of those calories in. My stomach is not at capacity? Well obviously not....I am only 8 weeks from my surgery date.

As far as the lapband goes, I just suggested to look in to it. Where did I say it is good for anybody? I am personally not familiar with the failure rates but did do a few searches after your 70% failure rate comment at five years, and couldn't find any medically documented report that substantiates your claim. As we both know, surgery is a scary and permanent process. With her BMI range, maybe there might be another way that isn't permanent, that's all I am saying....I am trying to be helpful. To be honest, I found your post to me to have a tone to it...and I usually enjoy your contributions on this forum. It left me feeling a bit attacked, though....not cool.

Here are the facts:

The FDA approves the lapband for people with a BMI between 30-40 with a pre-existing health condition.

The sleeve is generally approved for patients who have a BMI between 35-40 with a pre-existing health condition.

In short, my advice was based on her BMI-US or CAN docs would not aprrove her sleeve surgery, and some in Mexico may not either. Mine was borderline approved, fyi-at a BMI of 38.7 and moderate high blood pressure.

Whatever she chooses, I hope the poster the best.

I know weight loss surgery is a huge deal, not to be taken lightly. I have thought about it for over a year, my husband considers it cosmetic surgery, he's not aware of how much my weight has been affecting me. I see doctors for my knees, they want to do surgery on both knees because they get a little swollen and they hurt, but I know my weight is majorly affecting it. I don't turn over in my sleep well, I wake up to turn over, I don't keep up with my kids. I am not incredibly obese or anything I understand, but I have yo-yo'd on diets and exercise my whole life, and it takes my emotions and kills it. I want something permenant that will aide me in making a life change, so I can be a great example for my kids. My husband is a very skinny tall man who eats a family size bag of chips in a day and a half! He's lucky has good genes, doesn't mind I'm overweight, but I feel its cutting into my life where I need to change it. I at first wanted the lap band, my friend hand one, but you can feel it under your skin. I've read the disadvantages, how its not really reversible because of scar tissue that forms, I know this is the right procedure for me.

I think that is why my husband considers it cosmetic, he doesn't see me as obese to need a weight loss surgery, but I do and my back does and my knees do and my whole body just hurts all the time, I'm only 34, had both my kids already, but I want to have a life full of energy, and I can't see that happening if I can't get my weight under control.

You know what's right for you! I wish I had this surgery sooner...I missed out on life and not only that but I damaged my body being over weight for so long.

Grab this opportunity and live your life free of obesity and everything it steals from us.