Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do you really need a hospital buddy?

I'm wondering whether or not you really need a friend or spouse in the hospital right after you had your surgery. My doctor only does surgeries on Thursdays, and the person who is coming with me has to work only on the weekdays. She is a new mom and obviously needs the money, and if I don't really need her at the hospital, I don't really want her to take unpaid time off to watch me sleep. I figure if the nurses are going to be harassing me all the time, and the pain medicine is going to make me sleep then I'm not really going to need a friend there. I only have to stay overnight. I'm a pretty practical person, and I'm not really one for moral support so I don't think that will be an issue. Does anyone think that's a bad idea?

I sent my husband home! He snores and the couch/bed looked uncomfortable. I was fine and the room was quiet. The next night he stayed with me and drove me nuts.

My hubby stayed, but I would have been fine alone!

I would say no. While I was at the hospital I could have had no one and been totally okay. I guess it depends on your personality. I am a very independent, I can do it myself or learn how type of girl. But I have friends that want someone by their side at all times when they are not feeling well. But when I was at the hospital if I wasn't sleeping I was up walking. But mostly sleeping. And when I got home I w9ld have been okay on my own if I wouldn't have had to worry about getting my kids up and on the bus. I would say help for the first day or two when you get home would be better. Maybe a friend to help with the laundry until you can lift!?! Good luck!!!

Thanks! My surgery is about 70 miles from home, so if I could just send her home, I totally would. I think I'd feel guilty about having her come so far for pretty much no reason. I figure I'll just drive myself and we can come get my car at the 1 week post op appointment

I would say no. While I was at the hospital I could have had no one and been totally okay. I guess it depends on your personality. I am a very independent' date=' I can do it myself or learn how type of girl. But I have friends that want someone by their side at all times when they are not feeling well. But when I was at the hospital if I wasn't sleeping I was up walking. But mostly sleeping. And when I got home I w9ld have been okay on my own if I wouldn't have had to worry about getting my kids up and on the bus. I would say help for the first day or two when you get home would be better. Maybe a friend to help with the laundry until you can lift!?! Good luck!!![/quote']

We sound a lot alike. Hell, if I could drive myself there and back after the surgery, I probably would. But my friend is pretty much forcing me to stay at her house for a couple of days after surgery lol, so I will have that going for me.

My poor hubby stayed til 230 and then left because I wasn't waking up. lol I did want him there during surgery in case anything went wrong and a decision needed to be made but for the rest of the day I didn't care

Thanks! My surgery is about 70 miles from home' date=' so if I could just send her home, I totally would. I think I'd feel guilty about having her come so far for pretty much no reason. I figure I'll just drive myself and we can come get my car at the 1 week post op appointment[/quote']

Check with the hospital cause mine said if i drove myself they would cancel the surgery do to being on pain meds. But that was my dr/hospital

The first day u will most likely be asleep most of the day maybe walking, second day walking around lots of walking

My husband wanted to stay but i had him go home he was worried if i needed anything or in pain .but cause im a cna i know what i can do and not do in a hospital. All i wantrd to do is sleep it took me forever to get to my room . And i didnt want him to be uncomfortable sleep there and espically with the nurses coming in and out for pain meds and if the iv bag going off. My roommate her iv kept going all night long. But i guess it's everyone preference and what the hospital allow i fiund out the next nite it was new years eve and my husband was staying to watch the ball drop. The aide that had my riom said he wouldnt be able to stay the nite. I just told her he would leave after the ball drop

We sound a lot alike. Hell' date=' if I could drive myself there and back after the surgery, I probably would. But my friend is pretty much forcing me to stay at her house for a couple of days after surgery lol, so I will have that going for me.[/quote']

She sounds like a wonderful friend who genuinely cares for you! That is so sweet of her to have you stay at her house! You will do fine with whatever you choose. Us strong willed gals usually dopretty well!

I didn't want anyone around for the first day. Just wanted to walk the halls and rest.

You will be just fine without anyone:). No worries

I fell asleep on every visitor I had after a few minutes. I drifted off constantly while I was in the recovery room and I don't think it mattered that anyone was there. The nurses will take care of you and if you get lonely, just give yourself another dose of morphine with the pain pump and go back to sleep.< /p>

My husband was there when I had the surgery but I sent him home after I got out. He main concern was that I came out of surgery ok. There was no need to have him sit there and watch me sleep and the nurses helped me walk around. I also did t want him uncomfortable on those horrible hospital couches. He did however come by after work the rest of the days to walk with me.

Check with the hospital cause mine said if i drove myself they would cancel the surgery do to being on pain meds. But that was my dr/hospital

The first day u will most likely be asleep most of the day maybe walking' date=' second day walking around lots of walking[/quote']

Why would they cancel it if you drove yourself before surgery? I'm not driving myself home afterwards