Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Protein Powders Drinks etc Aussies only

Hi,

Just like to enquire with everyone who has had to partake in the Protein supplements, of what brands and flavours you have had personal experience with, which was your favourite and best tasting and which you would not touch again in a famine!? I'm asking as I would like to find a new one but don't wants to spend $100's buying many to try.

I'll start it off.

I've tried:

whey Less- choc, strawb, vanilla, coffee.

I could only stomach the chocolate, actually quite like that flavour, all the others made me feel pretty nauseous.

I have to say though that none are overly sweet and they don't have the horrible Protein aftertaste.

Proto-Whey - choc/coffee (friend gave me some to try) didn't like as found it way too sweet and sickly and I could taste the protein -yuk.

MRM - Unflavoured, I think we all know what unflavoured whey Protein powder tastes like - not pleasant, but at least you can mix it in Soups and sauces and I have heard you can put it in with jelly too, but I'd have to eat a whole jelly to get 15g of protein in, not worth it IMO.

Natures Way Shannan Pontons chocolate (you can buy it from Woolies)

-Foul, with a capital F! That's the only way I can describe it, strong protein taste and horrible flavour.

Well these are the only ones I've tried, I'd love to hear what my fellow Aussies have.

Has anyone tried Iso Whey? I am led to believe it is made by the same company who does the Whey Less, the ingredients are almost identical, I'd like to try it but want to know what others think

Thanks everyone, hope I read done good stuff here!

The only reason I say for Aussies is that I want to be able to buy locally and not have to hear about something ReALLy yummy and I can't buy it.

Sorry rest of the world

xx

Hi' date='

Just like to enquire with everyone who has had to partake in the Protein supplements, of what brands and flavours you have had personal experience with, which was your favourite and best tasting and which you would not touch again in a famine!? I'm asking as I would like to find a new one but don't wants to spend 100's buying many to try.

I'll start it off.

I've tried:

whey Less- choc, strawb, vanilla, coffee.

I could only stomach the chocolate, actually quite like that flavour, all the others made me feel pretty nauseous.

I have to say though that none are overly sweet and they don't have the horrible Protein aftertaste.

Proto-Whey - choc/coffee (friend gave me some to try) didn't like as found it way too sweet and sickly and I could taste the protein -yuk.

MRM - Unflavoured, I think we all know what unflavoured whey Protein Powder tastes like - not pleasant, but at least you can mix it in Soups and sauces and I have heard you can put it in with jelly too, but I'd have to eat a whole jelly to get 15g of protein in, not worth it IMO.

Natures Way Shannan Pontons chocolate (you can buy it from Woolies)

-Foul, with a capital F! That's the only way I can describe it, strong protein taste and horrible flavour.

Well these are the only ones I've tried, I'd love to hear what my fellow Aussies have.

Has anyone tried Iso Whey? I am led to believe it is made by the same company who does the Whey Less, the ingredients are almost identical, I'd like to try it but want to know what others think

Thanks everyone, hope I read done good stuff here![/quote']

I totally agree with the natures way one. Revolting. I liked Optifast coffee. I know its expensive, but I don't drink it much these days and its one I know I like. I also really like the bars.

Aldi slim & trim were nice pre op, too sweet post op. I had the banana, strawberry and mixed berry as well as coffee. Prefer Optifast coffee.

Black mores pro powder. I can't remember what this was like, but I have the full container sitting in my pantry with maybe only 1 or 2 scoops taken out. Obviously not horrible enough to throw out immediately, but I haven't used it again since so must not have been too great.

Musashi high protein I would also say was quite yuck. I still have 2/3 of a small jar of it, wasn't a fan. I had the iced chocolate.

I'm 4.5 months post op and am actually struggling with sitting a bit close to the "underweight" side of a healthy BMI. This has been due to a completely unrelated illness post op. I haven't really used shakes for a while but really enjoy the bars when I'm out as an alternative to fast food if I get stuck for choice.

Hope you find some you like and good luck with your sleeve.

Thanks Puppyphat,

I have tried the Aldi ones as well, I used to like them pre-op too, I found I liked them so much I used to drink them for fun, just because LOL

Also absolutely love the Optifast berry crunch bars, but can't eat them yet, I will though in another couple weeks no doubt!

Pre-op I also tried a couple of Iso Whey bars - vanilla yoghurt and apricot and the pomegranate green tea, I loved both of these as well

Just asking what must seem like the age old question of do we have any decent tasting powders in Aus :-)

Quite possibly, according to the lack of response, we have no decent Protein powders here in Australia.

I knew it!

Hey,

You'll have to excuse their labels / marketing with cartoon bodybuilding freaks, but I really like Max's products. They're the only ones I've found that I don't mind with Water.

http://www.maxs.com.au/

Thanks Dean,

Just had a look, which one in particular do you use and what flavour/s?

Hi all,

I bought Boomers whey isolate (which is flavourless) and then I just use my baby bullet to make my own smoothie. Can't taste the Protein when I make it. Delicious and super quick!! banana, malted milk, skim milk and some honey.

I can't stand the flavoured Protein powders... They are so overly fake tasting!

Hi all' date='

I bought Boomers whey isolate (which is flavourless) and then I just use my baby bullet to make my own smoothie. Can't taste the Protein when I make it. Delicious and super quick!! Banana, malted milk, skim milk and some honey.

I can't stand the flavoured Protein powders... They are so overly fake tasting![/quote']

Where do you buy that?

Thanks Dean,

Just had a look, which one in particular do you use and what flavour/s?

Sorry MM, I missed this post. I only just saw it.

I've only used their powders with no, or almost no carbs. They have some with carbs for putting on weight.

For losing weight their best powder is 'Super Shred'. It comes in chocolate, mochachino and caramel nougat. I've used the chocolate and the mochachino. This is a great product with a number of carb blockers as well. When I lost 70 kgs a decade ago I used the old version of this product (called hydroxy phase) a couple of times a day for 18 months. It is a little expensive. No carbs and a hydrolysed WPI Protein, which means it has good bioavailabilty (your body uses it efficiently).

'Reload HGF' is also good. Hydrolysed WPI as well, no carbs. You pay a bit more for additives that would only be of benefit if you were weight training. Only comes in chocolate.

If you didn't want to pay for 'Super Shred' (after all we're not eating that many carbs anyway) I'd go for their standard 'WPI'. Still the good quality Protein I was talking about, but your not paying for all the extras (carb blockers etc).

I've tried the Vanilla and Chocolate but it also comes in a Choc Banana. I'm not a fan of artificial banana flavour, so I haven't tried that one.

Cheers,

Deano

Since I started eating normal foods I stopped the Protein drinks but everyone else still seems to be on them. Am I doing something wrong?

I don't think so. As long as you're getting enough Protein. There's some thoughts that if you keep protein level's high it helps with burning fat instead of muscle. Helps reduce hair loss as well I believe.

Deano

Where do you buy that?

Hi Amy,

I bought it from my local health food shop. Cost me $50 for a 3kg bag and it lasted about 3 months (using a scoop and a half a day).

I don't think so. As long as you're getting enough Protein. There's some thoughts that if you keep Protein level's high it helps with burning fat instead of muscle. Helps reduce hair loss as well I believe.

Deano

Yes definitely helps reduce Hair loss. I ran out of my Protein powder and just didn't get around to getting more.... My hair loss got so bad since that I have now chopped all my hair off because it was so thin and gross. Have started back on the protein and have learnt a valuable lesson!

Ok today I ran out of my whey less chocolate completely, bought some Iso-Whey Complete banana smoothie flavour and tried it. It is the best I have tasted so far, and I've tried a few!. I liked it so much, I went back to the chemist and bought another!

If anyone wants to try it, it's on special at Good Price Pharmacy until tomorrow for $35/tub. Usual price is $53, that's a huge saving. Terry White are charging $65/tub for it WTF!!

ISo whey has a tiny bit less Protein content compared to some sports whey powders (maybe 1 to 2 gram less but when mixed with lite milk it's 22-25 g/protein/serve) but its certainly an absolute dream to get down and id much rather have something I don't have to gag on as it hits my throat. It's not sweet and sickly either that's why I like it and the whey less which is made by same company.