Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How long were you advised to wait until you consumed alcohol?

What happened when you drank for the first time?

1 year and I plan on sticking to it.

How long were you advised to wait until you consumed alcohol?

What happened when you drank for the first time?

A year.

I can't remember when given clearance but be careful. Don't plan on driving. I was able to tolerate as long as not carbonated. I had wine. I found that it hits fast. The information that I got 1 drink has double the affect than on a normal person

I had a couple glasses of wine at 2 months..........no difference!

At 2 months out I had 3 glasses of wine in 1 evening. No difference.

Was told to avoid one Year or altogether. Best to avoid empty calories.

I had a girls wine trip to Sonoma and Napa that was planned way before I knew about my surgery date...nonrefundable plane and hotel tickets. So I had wine at 5 weeks out. Burned like hell the first tasting. I tried again the next day and didn't feel so great then either. Often I would just enjoy the scenery and atmosphere while my friends bounced from winery to winery tasting events. Since then I've taken a few cautious sips of beer and decided that my decision to forgo all carbonated beverages from now on was a wise decision. (This coming from a former craft beer lover.)

Now I had diet cranberry and vodka sometimes. Its ok, but really not necessary to have fun.

I was told two months. I had difficulties with the surgery so that 2 months turned out to be three. Oddly my plate was COMPLETELY gone when I tried my first glass of wine which sucked. Since then I have worked hard to get it back (think, drink drink drink LOL).

People talk about how it effects them so much more yada yada, but here's my experience.

I can't drink as much as I did, not because it goes to my head, but I just drink slower now a days. I often have half a glass of wine with lunch where in the old days with girlfriends I'd have two. But when I do drink more, (I don't drink for the feeling, just the flavor) it does not go to my head rapidly. I'd say that there is no difference there. I had three glasses of wine at a party over several hours recently and it didn't even effect me. At all. I just enjoyed the flavor. I don't get tipsy at all. Previously three glasses would have made me feel a bit different.

I also don't get any sort of hangover at all...except I get a tannin headache if I drink more than two glasses of a highly tannic wine (typically that's going to be reds). I have learned this is not an enjoyable thing so I tend to have one glass of red max unless I know the vintner enough to know it's structure. I can't drink port or ice wines (I don't do high sugar concentrations well) and I can't take more than a sip or two of an after dinner drink without feeling nauseous.

I was cleared for a maximum of one glass (he said at a time....so no two fisting LOL...I take that to be one glass when champs is served) of champagne or bubbly wine. That was at four months. It does not bother me at all, but oddly if I take a sip of soda it makes me ill. (The big bubbles verses the small maybe?) Anyhoo, I limit champs to special occasions (like when I go shopping LOL) because carbonation isn't the best choice for us all.

So ummmm two months and four LOL did you want the short answer? I just thought I'd share my experience because it's a bit different (and yet my doc says totally fine).

Oh the one year rule...I was told for WEIGHT LOSS one year is optimal because that's our highest period of weight loss. I calculate every glass of wine I have into my daily intake for calories, carbs, etc. I don't drink wine over Protein etc.

I drank 3 weeks after was told 6 months because of calories. I want to say it hit a little faster but no big difference. No hangover. I will never have beer again I don't miss that fat bloated feeling you would get the next few days. So I do vodka and cranberry when I go out or a screwdriver. Not a big deal. But now I'm conscious of the calories.

I drank last night. I am 6 weeks out. It hits me a lot faster and lasted a bit longer than I am use to. Can't drink half as much as I use to, but still kept up somewhat.

Drinking alcohol also throws you out of ketosis.

I'm doing a personal study on this with the level of ketosis and time passed post-alcohol using ketone strips.

It can throw you out of ketosis, but it doesn't necessarily do that for everyone.

Listen to your doctors recommendation on when you can resume alcohol. If you are having issues with not consuming alcohol, you might want to ask yourself why.

Sent from my iPhone using VST

It won't throw you out of ketosis as much as complex carbs will. I was on Atkins for 1 year and a half, was also bulimic and very addicted to drugs but drinking never threw me out of ketosis for long.