Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to staff off by saying how excited I am to have found this forum. I have been reading it for days and I'm a little addicted:)

I am about 1/2 way through the process and hoping to have my surgery in March...I'm a little nervous and last night actually questioned if I really want to do this, but the bottom line is that I need to.

I'm 38 and weigh 270 and have type 2 diabetes. Is there anyone who has had diabetes and the surgery has helped with it???

Thank you-

Kate

I am 7 weeks post op and have come off my metformin and glimpride, and onlt take 1/2 the amount of insulin i was taking.

That is great news, thanks for sharing!!!!

I will soon find out. My surgery was 12-31 and I will get my labs done soon.

I had surgery 11/1/12. I have just 1 diabetes medicine left and that's Victoza. I'm taking 1/4 the dose I was pre-op. Metformin, glipizide, Januvia and everything else is all gone. Can't wait until the Victoza follows it.

Awesome news for all....I'm excited to be done with all the meds!!!!

Yes! I am 3.5 months post op and my sugars have greatly improved. I was on metformin and glyburide before, now I'm just on metformin at half the dosage and expect to be off that soon.

Good luck!

I had surgery 11/13/12 and was on metformin and byetta. Am off everything now! This was the main reason I had surgery. My sugar was becoming harder to control and I already had heart disease. So thankful for this tool to help me.

I was type 2 diabetic, and I say was, because I asked God for a complete healing before the surgery. I was taking Metformin and Glypizide, and I am thrilled to say that those pill bottles are in the landfill. I have not had one pill since 8/29/12. I just had another f/u last week, and my levels are still normal. God is great, and he answers prayers. And I am 39 yrs. old, we are close in age.

Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to staff off by saying how excited I am to have found this forum. I have been reading it for days and I'm a little addicted:)

I am about 1/2 way through the process and hoping to have my surgery in March...I'm a little nervous and last night actually questioned if I really want to do this, but the bottom line is that I need to.

I'm 38 and weigh 270 and have type 2 diabetes. Is there anyone who has had diabetes and the surgery has helped with it???

Thank you-

Kate

Yes I was type 2 diabetes. I was on insulin daily for it.The day of surgery my sugar was 301 today my sugar runs 87/98 that is all fasting numbers also. Good luck to you

I was type 2 and the last time I took anything to control my diabetes was the day before surgery. My surgeon did have to give me one or two doses of insulin immediately post op because of how the anesthesia can affect your blood sugars, but other than that I've been fine.

Within a matter of weeks I was testing high normal on my sugars. I stopped testing completely around nine months post op, because my sugars never left the 90-110 range.

I'm pregnant and recently had my glucose tolerance test. It turns out that my normal blood sugars stay around 67-75 and my one hour postprandial is normally between 120-140, but by two hours out I'm back at 67-75 again. It's absolutely amazing, honestly. I was worried I was running low but after a few days of monitoring recently my doctor said there is absolutely nothing wrong with me. I'm doing better than I ever could have hoped. My A1C just came back as a four - perfectly normal. :)

For many of us, the diabetes is completely resolved with the sleeve. Before I even lost weight, the drastic post op diet had my diabetes under control and it stayed that way. Here's hoping you have similar results!

~Cheri

I was type 2 and the last time I took anything to control my diabetes was the day before surgery. My surgeon did have to give me one or two doses of insulin immediately post op because of how the anesthesia can affect your blood sugars' date=' but other than that I've been fine.

Within a matter of weeks I was testing high normal on my sugars. I stopped testing completely around nine months post op, because my sugars never left the 90-110 range.

I'm pregnant and recently had my glucose tolerance test. It turns out that my normal blood sugars stay around 67-75 and my one hour postprandial is normally between 120-140, but by two hours out I'm back at 67-75 again. It's absolutely amazing, honestly. I was worried I was running low but after a few days of monitoring recently my doctor said there is absolutely nothing wrong with me. I'm doing better than I ever could have hoped. My A1C just came back as a four - perfectly normal. :)

For many of us, the diabetes is completely resolved with the sleeve. Before I even lost weight, the drastic post op diet had my diabetes under control and it stayed that way. Here's hoping you have similar results!

~Cheri[/quote']

This is what I'm hoping and praying for. My first pregnancy was so hard with all the insulin shots and testing. That is one of the biggest reasons I'm doing the surgery. I want to be healthier for my next pregnancy.