Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Low Carb/More Carb weight gain

I have been following a fairly low carb consumption since surgery. I don't count them but probably sit around 20 grams a day. Most recently one day I consumed 6 crackers, this sent me on an eating frenzy(as much as it can be) I felt that I ate more Protein and didn't get my full feeling. Well the next day up 1.6 pounds. I know that carbs need Water and I am sure that this is water weight but has anyone experienced this? Is this why it may be better to go a few pounds below goal because when you get to goal and start consuming more carbs you may retain the water needed for the carbs? Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Wow..I wish I could eat only 20 grams of carbs a day. Im averaging about 40-55grams. What do you eat?? Im 6wks out and it feels like im eating too many carbs sometimes!

hugs,<br />alma

Honestly? Everyone's body reacts differently but you're probably starved for carbs and energy, hence the compulsion to eat afterward.

If anything, I'd say the sodium in the crackers is the culprit, not the carbs.

That said, I urge you to work moderation in slowly before reaching goal. Everyone approaches their sleeve differently and it's important to understand that we're not all the same and our bodies react differently. That said, waiting to learn how to eat more normally once you're at goal results in regains and trouble maintaining for a lot of people.

I would do an experiment. Track your food. Incorporate more and more good quality carbs (I'm not taking Cookies and cakes, here) and see if it negatively impacts your loss. Counter higher sodium treats like crackers or popcorn with extra Water that day. I am willing to bet that you can probably at least double your carb intake (maybe more) without sabotaging your loss. In turn, I think this will help you be better prepared for life at goal.

I've read in so many places that men do well on Atkins and extremely low carbs but women do best on a more balanced diet and experience a lot of issues when they low carb it too long. For me, crankiness is a definite issue but I also have hypersensitivity to carbs and if I avoid them too long my sugars skyrocket once I eat them AND they stimulate the urge to binge. I eat about 40% Protein, 30% carbs and 30% fat and never feel deprived and it didn't cause me to lose any slower than I was losing on 20 grams a day.

Just my opinion, of course. For what it's worth, when I eat popcorn I see a bump up on the scale the next day every single time. I know it's the sodium and I increase my Water so that it falls off by the day after.

Good luck! Remember that it's a learning process and that it takes time to learn how/what to eat for ideal results.

~Cheri

One day of high(er) carbs is not going to cause you to gain that kind of weight, especially if you're still eating under your body's required caloric need. Body weight is a Fluid thing, and I know from personal experience it's nothing to see it jump two or three pounds in one day. If you're weighing yourself daily (I do, it's a bad habit, but it's MY bad habit) then look for patterns. I know that my weight loss pattern tends to be lose-lose-gain, where I'll lose a couple days in a row and then either gain a pound or two or lose nothing, then back to losing a day or so later. I no longer freak out when the scale goes up two or three pounds because I'm used to seeing it.

I know a lot of people are on super restrictive "20g carbs daily" stuff, but my surgeon's guidelines are no more than 100g carbs a day, 20g per "meal". In fact, I've had better weight loss this week when eating a bit more, including some carb containing vegetables (I've been on a Brussels sprouts kick, among other things ) and dairy heavy (NSA tapioca pudding and 2% cottage cheese every day) diet.

Very well said Cheri! I agree, everyone's body is different and will react differently. I just seen my bariatric nutritionist last wednesday and they have changed a person's diet intake from 50% carbs, 25% veggies, 25% fruits. Now the have reduced the Protein to 25%, starches 25%, veggies 25%, and fruits 25%. I'm not sure I like the change. I still want to keep the carbs rather low and just add some fruit that is healthy in small qualities. If I eat sweets, then I'm searching for sweets and craving them. Since Xmas I have eaten a lot of sugary stuff and now I'm craving it. So I'm detoxing right now. Yep, need to get rid of the craving..... :)

I do get carbs from vegetables, yogurt(not everyday). I don't eat packaged foods sometimes have a prepackage fish filet. I will try adding more carb foods. Thanks for the input.

Thank you to all I appreciate the attention you have paid to your progress so that your not only able to help yourself but also share it with others.

Jenipher.