Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Green shake anyone?

I've been drinking green shakes everyday for the last couple of weeks. I must say, I love them suddenly. I never could eat enough greens. But I figured I could get them down in liquid form. Well, the first shake I made tasted a lot like fresh mowed grass.....not good. But I'm gradually getting better, to the point where I really like them now. And I started catching my wife stealing sips out of my green shake, now I make her a shake everyday as well.

Interestingly, I read somewhere that greens increase cravings just like sugars. The more greens you eat, the more you crave them. Well for me this has definitely proven to be true. I'm craving salads all the time suddenly. My body feels so much better now that I'm getting in more nutrients....I was getting sick of meat, cheese and Protein Shakes. My Protein intake is slightly down but still over 100 grams a day, and my carbs are up but it's all good low glycemic carbs so I don't mind. And yes, I'm still losing.

The ingredients are....6 cups of kale, 1 cup of mixed greens, 1 cup each of mixed berries and mangos or pineapple, chia seeds, 2 scoops chocolate Protein powder, 1/2 cup fat free Greek yogurt, parsley, 1/2 cucumber, some broccoli, 2 cups cold Water plus a pinch of goji berries, spirulina and cacao powder. 193 calories, 18 g protein, 30 g carbs, 1 g fat in a 16 oz shake. Everything in the picture makes about 4 shakes.

post-17584-13813661893423_thumb.jpg

post-17584-13813661894206_thumb.jpg

So....how long does a shake last before it goes bad? My problem is it's just me. And that's a lot of work for just me, for one drink. Remember, I'm the QUEEN of lazy cooking. I'm trying really hard to do quality food now, but it's not exciting to cook for one. (My husband isn't on board w my meal plan at all. He supports me, but won't join me.).

Are you using a vitamix? I have heard this is the ultimate tool for this kind of thing. I am seriously considering the investment.

I'd love to get one but just can't justify the cost for just me. I'm going to use my Oster blender (which is pretty good) until i decide if shakes are going to be in my diet forever. Or until my Oster konks out. :-)

The ingredients are....6 cups of kale, 1 cup of mixed greens, 1 cup each of mixed berries and mangos or pineapple, chia seeds, 2 scoops chocolate Protein powder, 1/2 cup fat free Greek yogurt, parsley, 1/2 cucumber, some broccoli, 2 cups cold Water plus a pinch of goji berries, spirulina and cacao powder. 193 calories, 18 g Protein, 30 g carbs, 1 g fat in a 16 oz shake. Everything in the picture makes about 4 shakes.

I've thought about juicing and I've seen a lot of green shakes on Pinterest, so my interest is piqued, but the kale and the chocolate powder? Everything else here looks really good together. I made baked kale chips in the oven this weekend and they are slightly bitter. With chocolate too? My brain's message to my tastebuds says that would taste like foot!

I've thought about juicing and I've seen a lot of green shakes on Pinterest' date=' so my interest is piqued, but the kale and the chocolate powder? Everything else here looks really good together. I made baked kale chips in the oven this weekend and they are slightly bitter. With chocolate too? My brain's message to my tastebuds says that would taste like foot![/quote']

Haha....my wife thought the same thing. The kale is what gives it that, "just mowed the grass with my mouth" taste. The chocolate Protein powder cancels that out. The fruit makes it kinda fruity and creamy, but it's not what I'd call chocolatly. Keep in mind that I put enough Protein Powder in there for 1 shake, but I get 4 shakes out of it...so it's a quarter of the chocolate of a normal shake. But it definitely cancels out the bitterness. You can also substitute the kale for any dark leafy green. Many people prefer spinach, but I'm allergic to it. I've mixed in mustard greens, collard greens and red leaf lettuce. They all taste good.

Are you using a vitamix? I have heard this is the ultimate tool for this kind of thing. I am seriously considering the investment.

Yep, vitamix. Liquifies everything. Way better than a juicer because you don't lose anything. Juicers leave behind the pulp, which contains a lot of the Fiber. That's another benefit of the green shakes that I forgot to mention.....no more traffic jams. :)

So....how long does a shake last before it goes bad? My problem is it's just me. And that's a lot of work for just me' date=' for one drink. Remember, I'm the QUEEN of lazy cooking. I'm trying really hard to do quality food now, but it's not exciting to cook for one. (My husband isn't on board w my meal plan at all. He supports me, but won't join me.).[/quote']

How long would any of these veggies last in the fridge? A week at least? I've had them for 3-4 days in the fridge with no ill effects. After a day or so some of the ingredients separate a little, but I shake it up a little and it's mixed up perfectly again.

It's really not much trouble. Takes less than 5 minutes. My wife can't make her cheese toast as fast as I can make this.

I need to get over to Whole Foods and get those chia seeds!!!

I can't do the green shakes. I love leafy greens, but not ground up.

If I were to try, would a food processor do the trick? I only have that and an old Waring blender.

Huh, I just started making shakes similar to this this week. My friend started me on this path. My ingredients are kale, wheat grass, carrots, plain chobani Greek yogurt, blueberries, banana, and strawberries.

I guess it's time for me to add some different ingredients. Thanks for the post!!

Sent from my iPhone using VST

Yep' date=' vitamix. Liquifies everything. Way better than a juicer because you don't lose anything. Juicers leave behind the pulp, which contains a lot of the Fiber. That's another benefit of the green shakes that I forgot to mention.....no more traffic jams. :)[/quote']

My friend uses a ninja. About 100 bucks at kohls. It worked like a charm. It takes me about 12 minutes to make a smoothie in my oster blender that I purchased at target.

I have blender envy right now.

Sent from my iPhone using VST

I went to a juice place today and tried their energy drink which was made from all organic kale, spinach, and carrots and apples, tastes like apple juice. Thinking of trying my own convictions at home so I can add in my Protein powder and such. Thanks BTB

I've been drinking green shakes everyday for the last couple of weeks. I must say, I love them suddenly. I never could eat enough greens. But I figured I could get them down in liquid form. Well, the first shake I made tasted a lot like fresh mowed grass.....not good. But I'm gradually getting better, to the point where I really like them now. And I started catching my wife stealing sips out of my green shake, now I make her a shake everyday as well.

Interestingly, I read somewhere that greens increase cravings just like sugars. The more greens you eat, the more you crave them. Well for me this has definitely proven to be true. I'm craving salads all the time suddenly. My body feels so much better now that I'm getting in more nutrients....I was getting sick of meat, cheese and Protein Shakes. My Protein intake is slightly down but still over 100 grams a day, and my carbs are up but it's all good low glycemic carbs so I don't mind. And yes, I'm still losing.

The ingredients are....6 cups of kale, 1 cup of mixed greens, 1 cup each of mixed berries and mangos or pineapple, chia seeds, 2 scoops chocolate protein powder, 1/2 cup fat free Greek yogurt, parsley, 1/2 cucumber, some broccoli, 2 cups cold Water plus a pinch of goji berries, spirulina and cacao powder. 193 calories, 18 g protein, 30 g carbs, 1 g fat in a 16 oz shake. Everything in the picture makes about 4 shakes.

post-17584-13813661893423_thumb.jpg

Wow,

I love love your post!

I did Raw food foods some time ago which included green drinks.< /p>

Thank you for sharing

After I'm sleeved i wanted to in cooperate these types of juices. i was thinking later.

Thank you

I need to get over to Whole Foods and get those chia seeds!!!

I can't do the green shakes. I love leafy greens' date=' but not ground up.

If I were to try, would a food processor do the trick? I only have that and an old Waring blender.[/quote']

It might do it, but it might leave little particles of food in there, I don't know. You haven't lost anything by trying. As previously mentioned in another posts, the ninja is a lot cheaper and may also work.