Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need the honest truth, what are the negatives about the sleeve that you wish would have known beforehand.

I'm trying to be optimistic about the sleeve but I'm having a bit of deja vu to when I got banded. I was banded back in 2008. I have not had the best experience. Only lost 40 pounds, then put it back on when I was having horrible reflux and the doctor opened my band. Got it retighten to only have the same symptoms come back to find out I had a dilated pouch from a slipped band. I was so fed up with all the bad issues from the band (consistent vomiting, having to stand up to eat a bite, consistently going back to dr to get a "sweet spot" I never found, chocking at night from reflux). I just wanted the band out!

However my doctor highly recommended that I did not do that and consider putting band back into place or the sleeve. Before I make another huge step I want to hear it from people that have been in my shoes. I need to know the honest truth of the bad that comes along with the sleeve. I wish I would have known the bad that came with the band but when you are desperate to lose weight you only dream of the goal of being thin and want to hear only the good. But I have to be realistic and know there is no easy solution to losing weight. Please let me know what you wish you would have known before you got sleeved. Do you still vomit like the band? Do you have acid reflux? Are you scared to eat in public worrying if you can get anything down? Does you stomach stretch back out? Any help would be appreciated!

My acid reflux went away when my doc took the band out....no I dont vomit like the band, and I'm not afraid to eat out anymore....the only time I slime still is when I eat bread, dont know why but I do...

I'm like 6.5 months out, but from what I have research if you continue to over eat over and over again, you can stretch your stomach out but not at all like its full size...you have to understand that the sleeve is made with the firmer muscle of the stomach, the stretchy part is removed...

I have no regrets having it done....sometimes it amazes me that I really had it done...but not regrets, none at all!

good luck in what ever you decide

Your lapband experience is amost identical to mine. I am getting a sleeve this month. I am more scared than most, and certainly less excited but its because I've been there before, I know what

challenges likely face me, and I'm wiser for it.

Obviously I have not HAD the sleeve yet so I can only say what I know now, but here is the way I look at it, not being head over heals about surgery is probably better than people who are so giddy they are calling their surgeons office every day. We are more realistic. I PURPOSELY search out people who have had terrible experiences with all types of weight loss surgeries, where as before I would have TOLD you that I did that, but in reality I glossed over it, feeling that tons of it was all self inflicted and like that wasn't going to happen to me.

Here is what I can tell you - lapband has about the same success rate as Weight Watchers, had I known that I would have never done it. The sleeve has ABOUT the same weight loss as RNY patients, and better long term outcomes as far as complications go.

You are going to get a wide variety of responses to this but here is my perspective. I had horrible reflux before the sleeve. I took multiple ppi a day and if I skipped a dose or two I was miserable. Since being sleeved I have no reflux issues and don't even take a ppi anymore. I haven't thrown up once. I came close a few times in the beginning while learning how much and how fast I could eat. I used to feel awkward when eating in a group of people who don't know about my surgery thinking they would notice me not eating much. I don't now that I am comfortable with my sleeve and really no one notices or cares. I do wish it was easier to get liquids in, but that is really my only complaint. I still drink slowly and it is tough getting it all. I love my sleeve and wish I had it sooner.

I did not have a band first but there is a forum on here for band to sleeve. Might be helpful in your research as you make you decision.

I just realized this is in the band to sleeve forum. So I guess you already found that! :-) sorry my phone doesn't always tell me the forum of the post.

I honestly cant think of a single negative! I have never thrown up, had the slimes, or any other problems. I am 4 months out and down 70 pounds! Never in my wildest dreams did I think I would feel this good this fast!

The holidays were awesome. I ate a small bite of all my faves . I was completely satisfied and still lost weight. I love my sleeve!

I approached this with a positive attitude about changing my life and it certainly has!

I've had the same band experience as you. Reflux, pouch dilation, vomiting in my sleep. I also had periodic fevers and flu-like symptoms for years that they couldn't explain (which my doc thinks my body was rejecting the band...). I had my band out in April 2012 and have gained nearly all my weight back. Started gaining as soon as I started having problems. I'm getting my sleeve on Jan. 14. I think all of us revisionists have the same feeling of hoping this is not the band all over again. I had my band placed in 2008 and you rarely heard anything negative. I regularly review the complications forum. I'm scared of leaks and being able to not eat anything...I threw up a lot with the band so I know what that's like, but I also knew I could remove the band. The sleeve is irreversible and I think that's my biggest fear. But I'm doing it... :)

I wish I had done sleeve first time instead of band !!! The ONLY negative I've had w my sleeve is reflux. I'm 20 weeks out and below goal weight, had reflux before band, none w band, and its back. That's the only negative. I reached goal before my sleeve--- I had sleeve so I never go back to fat land. I had all the negatives all banders do-- just life w a band !! No WLS is perfect--- its still work, you CAN stretch and mess up your sleeve !! Break your bad habits now-- the sleeve is more forgiving than the band !! I WAY older than Taylor SWIFT generation--- but "we will never ever ever get back together"--- my band and I !!! Good luck !

I had a similar experience to you - slips, dilation, reflux, vomiting, etc.

I've only vomited once with the sleeve, and that was about 3 weeks post-op when I ate too much too fast.

The big negative for me is I am h-u-n-g-r-y all the time. Even after I eat, I am still hungry. My surgeon says it's due to the damage done from the band, especially the stretching of my esophagus. I will say, I am tired of people telling me it's acid, head hunger, or thirst. It's not. I wasn't hungry for many months with the band, so I know what being hunger-free feels like, and this sure as **** ain't it. ;)

All that being said, I would do it again, as it does keep me from overeating at meals. I just have to work very hard to not snack throughout the day to help with the hunger. I'm still hopeful the hunger is going to go away, but so far, it's manageable.

Good luck!

The only negative for me is that I can't guzzle Water when I am very thirsty, like after exercising. I have to drink 4 ounces, wait 10 minutes, drink 4 ounces, wait 10 minutes...It's annoying. Other then that, I've had no complications. I did throw up once early out, but it's sensitive early on. I'd also get the spits if I ate too much, but these were minute long occurances and were due to me still being on a learning curve and figuring out what my stomach liked and disliked. None of that was an issue 6 months post op. I love my sleeve, LOVE! I feel and look so good and I feel normal. I go out to eat, enjoy life, still enjoy food, just a lot less of it, and I am rarely hungry. It's usually just an empty feeling.

I am not a band revision, just went straight with the sleeve. I have had no negatives at all and would do it again in a heartbeat. Having said that, I had realistic expectations as far as lifestyle changes and limitations in how much I would be able to eat. I enjoy food and can eat almost anything, just in smaller quantities.

My weight loss was rapid and consistent - never experienced a stall. I am at goal in 9 months, which far exceeded my expectations since I was lower BMI to start with. I thought with less to lose than some it would come off slower.

My experience has been tremedously positive.

I got horrible results with the band and alot of pain and suffering. I spent alot of time talking to revisionistas, I met with a doctor who has a lapband herself and cares for many band and sleeve patients.

I love my sleeve and hated the band so I guess I can't give alot of personal negatives.

Let me tell you what the dirt I hear is though....

My bariatric, non surgeon doc said that the first year, her revision patients did AWESOME. Losing as well as virgin sleevers.

Year 2/3 and she is seeing weight regain so she herself is holding back before revising. She is still overweight, I am going to guess she is 30-50 over her ideal and she is accepting that versus the risk of a revision. I was 150# overweight... so a little different situation and she totally agrees that i needed that revision.

I am working with her now that I am entering my second year. My surgeon also warned me that the hard part will now begin - more because I was SO overweight, my BMI was over 50. People with my profile have very advanced metabolic issues and I will always be prone to regain. He told me that I can NEVER eat or sit around like a normal person. I am not a normal person - I have the disease of obesity and must remain vigilent. sort of like a type II diabetic who puts it in remission via diet - it will come back the moment you lose your focus.

The other long term worry about the sleeve (again this isn't about revisions specifically) is that there is some evidence that reflux increases after year 3. I have had complete relief from the band induced reflux, but am worried about it showing up again later. I drink coffee and eat normally - so currently my tummy is holding up well!

So, you dont mention how heavy you are or how motivated you are. I am a whole different level of "git er done" then I was at the time I was banded in 2001. Yes, I had that wretched thing for 10 years.

Thanks so much for the reply Heatherr. So that is the first I'm hearing that about liquids so I'm intrigued. So if you are working out and are dehydrated, what happens if you drink a lot of Water. Will it come back up? Do you hear it guzzling in your throat like it going down a funnel? Also, when you are full, does it feel the same like the band. I always felt it in my upper chest. Same feeling?

The only negative for me is that I can't guzzle Water when I am very thirsty, like after exercising. I have to drink 4 ounces, wait 10 minutes, drink 4 ounces, wait 10 minutes...It's annoying. Other then that, I've had no complications. I did throw up once early out, but it's sensitive early on. I'd also get the spits if I ate too much, but these were minute long occurances and were due to me still being on a learning curve and figuring out what my stomach liked and disliked. None of that was an issue 6 months post op. I love my sleeve, LOVE! I feel and look so good and I feel normal. I go out to eat, enjoy life, still enjoy food, just a lot less of it, and I am rarely hungry. It's usually just an empty feeling.

Great post CowgirlJane, and congrats on the success. Very insightful information, my surgeon hasn't talked about the long term effects with me as detailed as yours, which is scary. So things to think about and writing my questions down to ask him when I go in next week.

As for me, my current BMI is 32 and hoping to lose 50 pounds to be at a healthy BMI. Doesn't seem a lot but I would be over the moon if I could get there and stay there. How motivated am I....good question. I feel so beaten down with the band fiasco that I'm skeptical. I know I will be super motivated once I'm losing weight, I think we all are. Once the pounds come off and see it, you are going want to keep going. But in the long run... I know there are going to be some rough times so I hoping to maintain at a healthy weight and never go back. And you are absolutely right, we can never be normal. That is when we would slip back to old habits.

That being said, this forum has given me hope and motivation so thank you everyone that is replying!

I got horrible results with the band and alot of pain and suffering. I spent alot of time talking to revisionistas, I met with a doctor who has a lapband herself and cares for many band and sleeve patients.

I love my sleeve and hated the band so I guess I can't give alot of personal negatives.

Let me tell you what the dirt I hear is though....

My bariatric, non surgeon doc said that the first year, her revision patients did AWESOME. Losing as well as virgin sleevers.

Year 2/3 and she is seeing weight regain so she herself is holding back before revising. She is still overweight, I am going to guess she is 30-50 over her ideal and she is accepting that versus the risk of a revision. I was 150# overweight... so a little different situation and she totally agrees that i needed that revision.

I am working with her now that I am entering my second year. My surgeon also warned me that the hard part will now begin - more because I was SO overweight, my BMI was over 50. People with my profile have very advanced metabolic issues and I will always be prone to regain. He told me that I can NEVER eat or sit around like a normal person. I am not a normal person - I have the disease of obesity and must remain vigilent. sort of like a type II diabetic who puts it in remission via diet - it will come back the moment you lose your focus.

The other long term worry about the sleeve (again this isn't about revisions specifically) is that there is some evidence that reflux increases after year 3. I have had complete relief from the band induced reflux, but am worried about it showing up again later. I drink coffee and eat normally - so currently my tummy is holding up well!

So, you dont mention how heavy you are or how motivated you are. I am a whole different level of "git er done" then I was at the time I was banded in 2001. Yes, I had that wretched thing for 10 years.

Hi, I am a 45 year old male and i just recently had a Lapband to sleeve revision done on 12/13 and I am doing great so far. I am down 31lbs in a little more than 3 weeks and the only regrets I can tell you that I have had so far is my inability to drink fluids at a faster rate. Just like the person who posted before me I can only drink 3 or 4 ounces at a time and then have to wait about ten minutes in between. I have also experienced some mild accid reflux but i have pretty much kept that at bay with a daily regimen of Zantax 150 / store brand, not name brand.

I can also tell you that I was like you debating and debating if I wanted to do the revision but I also have had the pleasure of knowing someone who had her sleeve surgery the same time I had my lapband surgery over 7 years ago and she has lost over 125lbs and MAINTAINED THE WEIGHT LOSS within 20lbs up and down all of this time now. She told me that she still has her good and BAD days with the foods she eats but the one thing about the sleeve is no matter what your stomach will never stretch back anywhere to the size it was before.